You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp Kopped.

thompsonsnose

If this does not come off then it is going to be a huge huniliation for the club.

I don't think i have ever seen more media talk about a manager taking over at a club especially so quickly after job becomes available.

If he tells us no now our rep as a big club will just take another massive battering.

I questioned Klopp last season and highlighted mistakes he made which were similar to mistakes BR made.As everyone knows I rated BR highly and I was not trying to say Klopp was shit, my point was a top manager was struggling so it's understandable a young manager learning could have the same problems.

He's the best man for the job and I sincerely hope the club don't fuck this up and appoint someone else.Ancellotti would fail miserably here imo, he's used of working with the strongest players and richest team in the league.

I look forward to Klopp coming in and am excited to see what he can do here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selling Carlo seriously short, there. He's a classy bloke and a top manager, I think he'd be ace here - just not as ace as Klopp

He's the best man for the job and I sincerely hope the club don't fuck this up and appoint someone else.Ancellotti would fail miserably here imo, he's used of working with the strongest players and richest team in the league.

I find this view bizarre (not just from you JP but other people have said the same sort of thing). Plenty of managers have failed with big clubs with fantastic resources but Ancelotti has consistently delivered.

To those who say he's a risk because he's only managed top clubs (And Chelsea and Reggiana) what would you say if Guardiola was available? 

It's odd that 'only' having managed massive clubs with big budgets is somehow a weakness. He's only been in the running for those jobs in the first place because he's been so successful.

In any case, we might not have Ronaldo or Pirlo and we might not have unlimited money but we're not a total non-entity without a pot to piss in either.

It's odd that 'only' having managed massive clubs with big budgets is somehow a weakness. He's only been in the running for those jobs in the first place because he's been so successful.

Fair point. Don't hear similar said about the best players.

Don't get me wrong Messi is a very good player but I'd like to see him playing for Leicester City to truly deduce his brilliance.

• Upvote 1

I questioned Klopp last season and highlighted mistakes he made which were similar to mistakes BR made.

Same mistakes?

What mistakes did Brendan make in his two league title winning seasons? Or in his CL final? Or perhaps in his domestic cup win?

I am struggling to spot any similarities.

• Upvote 9

All the newspapers were briefed with the same lines, the timing is very deliberate, and Klopp has refused to distance himself from the rumours (as he did with Gladbach and other suitors). I will be absolutely stunned if this is not a fait accompli. A bit of stagecraft on the club's behalf to avoid suggestions that they went behind the incumbent's back. 

I know.  Its a done deal and would probably happened at the end of last season if Klopp was available/willing then. Still doesn't mean I can't take a cheap shot at the owners for their inability to run a piss up in the proverbial brewery. They have fucked me off so many times one deal for a decent manager doesn't wipe the slate. It shouldn't have taken them 3+ years and 100's millions spunked on shite to get to this point.

I know they're showing public courtesy to Brendan but I'm amazed they had this all lined up and ready to go. Fully expected them to sack him and only start thinking about his replacement then.

Possible they did only let him stay on because Klopp wouldn't take it in the summer, then. I wouldn't have previously given that thought any credence at all but it's at least feasible now.

If the choice was what evidently is happening with potentially yet another £80M set ablaze or to have replaced with a lesser light in the summer, I wonder how many would have voted for this!

* Raises hand *

Same mistakes?

What mistakes did Brendan make in his two league title winning seasons? Or in his CL final? Or perhaps in his domestic cup win?

I am struggling to spot any similarities.

Both had a bad season after losing star players, I didn't write either off because of that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Downvote 1

The only thing that makes me doubt the notion that this was all done and dusted in the summer is the dual appointment of O'Driscoll and Gary Mac. Surely they'd have been better off retaining Marsh and Pascoe for an extra couple of months?

I'm not saying they defo weren't having dialogue in the summer, but my personal opinion- and it's just a hunch really- is that the defeats to West Ham and the Mancs, coupled with Chelsea's shit start has made them get their arses into gear.

Is Liverpool a good fit for Klopp?

Franz Beckenbauer, who won the World Cup with West Germany as both player and manager, believes Klopp and Liverpool will be a "good couple".

"I think Klopp is best for the club," he told BBC Radio 5 live. "It's a fantastic combination. He can achieve similar things with Liverpool like he did with Dortmund.

"Jurgen will find out what the problem is there. Klopp and Liverpool will be a good couple."

I like this quote..

I know they're showing public courtesy to Brendan but I'm amazed they had this all lined up and ready to go. Fully expected them to sack him and only start thinking about his replacement then.

Possible they did only let him stay on because Klopp wouldn't take it in the summer, then. I wouldn't have previously given that thought any credence at all but it's at least feasible now.

If the choice was what evidently is happening with potentially yet another £80M set ablaze or to have replaced with a lesser light in the summer, I wonder how many would have voted for this!

* Raises hand *

I think it's surprised everyone.

It bear all the hallmarks of competence. Looking at how swiftly it was done, how few in the media had Rodgers in real trouble, and the possibility of Klopp makes it all seem slightly unreal.

Considering that, it makes me wonder if at least some of that money wasn't spent without consideration of potential managerial targets. Some have already highlighted that Klopp supposedly liked Firmino, so that might explain the committee's bartering with Rodgers over his signing.

• Upvote 1

I think it's surprised everyone.

It bear all the hallmarks of competence. Looking at how swiftly it was done, how few in the media had Rodgers in real trouble, and the possibility of Klopp makes it all seem slightly unreal.

Considering that, it makes me wonder if at least some of that money wasn't spent without consideration of potential managerial targets. Some have already highlighted that Klopp supposedly liked Firmino, so that might explain the committee's bartering with Rodgers over his signing.

Giving Sakho a new deal over rodgers's head seems significant now too..

• Upvote 1

Tony Barrett interview here.

Says the transfer commitee wasn't working because was at complete loggerheads with Rodgers. Hence expensive buys not getting played (Sakho, Markovic etc) as they weren't his.

Also as above mentions it should have been obvious what was going on when Sakho got a new deal when Brendan was trying to bomb him out.

TBH with the players TB lists in that interview the xfer committees offerings were better.

• Upvote 2

Giving Sakho a new deal over rodgers's head seems significant now too..

Very true. It was weird how that unfolded; one minute he's going and unwanted, the next he's penning a new deal.

It's like we hedged our bets with the summer ins and outs. Milner and Clyne claimed the manager was key in getting them to sign, but at the same time the committee pushes for Firmino and we keep Sakho.

I'll hold off praising anyone until Klopp's in the door though, but keeping Sakho was a huge relief.