You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa

Bjornebye

• 11 years later...

Given the boot by Celta Vigo.

If this is the end of the line for him then it’s a sad note to end on. Istanbul doesn’t feel that long ago in some ways; in others it feels like a million years ago - it’s just coming up to 20 years since he was appointed, which is roughly the equivalent of the time between Bob being appointed and Souness getting the elbow.

Good luck with whatever the future holds, Rafa. 

46 minutes ago, Ron B said:

If this is the end of the line for him then it’s a sad note to end on. Istanbul doesn’t feel that long ago in some ways; in others it feels like a million years ago - it’s just coming up to 20 years since he was appointed, which is roughly the equivalent of the time between Bob being appointed and Souness getting the elbow.

I remember reading Ben Doak was born six months after Istanbul.

2 hours ago, Ron B said:

Istanbul was almost 20 years ago, his methods were finished around 15 years ago.

The fact he did not trust flair players was the beginning of the end for him. 

35 minutes ago, Code said:

Istanbul was almost 20 years ago, his methods were finished around 15 years ago.

The fact he did not trust flair players was the beginning of the end for him. 

This

Same with Mourinho 

2 hours ago, Ron B said:

Rafa one of my hero’s gutted when he left but if your managing Celta then nothing much down for you hope he comes back 

Nothing wrong with Rafa's methods in the right context. Not everyone has the players or the money to play attacking football or play out from the back. 

He's a great manager, produced possibly the greatest footballing result in my lifetime, he's got plenty left to give the game, just needs the right gig.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Nothing wrong with Rafa's methods in the right context. Not everyone has the players or the money to play attacking football or play out from the back. 

He's a great manager, produced possibly the greatest footballing result in my lifetime, he's got plenty left to give the game, just needs the right gig.

It is not often I disagree with you, but I do with this one. He is done, he was done more than 10 years ago. 

• Upvote 1

He is a workaholic who will keep taking the wrong jobs just to keep himself occupied.

Bar maybe Napoli (stab-happy fans aside, it has a passionate fanbase in a city very similar to Liverpool in how people are viewed by the rest of the country), I don't think he has made the right choices since being sacked by Liverpool. The Geordie faithful still love him but he was there working with one hand tied behind his back as Mike Ashley refused to invest in the squad, so they were little more than lower mid-table fodder. Inter, Real Madrid and Everton were the wrong moves at the wrong time, and his time at Dalian in China coincided with both the pandemic and the conglomerates that owned the clubs suddenly pulling the plug on financing.

No idea if he would ever consider a role at a Saudi league club if it came up, but the football mentality out there seems fixated on instant results rather than a slow build. Rafa's methods aren't geared towards instant results.

I love him and always will. What he did at half time in Istanbul was superb. Having the belief at 3 nil down and the know how to find a chink in their armour won us number 5. Shame to see him being passed round like a spliff (like most managers are to be fair) 

Everything about his approach in recent years has been bloated. He employs the most ridiculously large private 'team' of analysts and assistants, whom he keeps on the payroll throughout his periods between jobs. What he doesn't have is someone like Pako who will question him, challenge him and keep him focused on the essential part of management. He's grown so many trees around himself he can't see the wood.