You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carra

Carras time is probably up after a fantastic career for us, but some people need to show a little more respect in how they refer to the lad. He's put his body on the line for years for us and has contributed massively to many of our most glorious victories of the last 15 years.

I was sitting in the kop yesterday and at some point in the second half carra got the ball on the right hand side of defense, as he passed the ball I angrily shouted 'NO CARRA'. It was only time he DIDNT pass the ball back to Pep. This time it was a 3 metre pass to Martin.

I was sitting in the kop yesterday and at some point in the second half carra got the ball on the right hand side of defense, as he passed the ball I angrily shouted 'NO CARRA'. It was only time he DIDNT pass the ball back to Pep. This time it was a 3 metre pass to Martin.

He's clearly been told to cut out the hoofing and he's doing so. He's making it a priority to defer to players with better distribution, I don't see that as a bad thing. If he had a ton of movement in CM no doubt he'd play into them every so often too, but . . .

He's clearly been told to cut out the hoofing and he's doing so. He's making it a priority to defer to players with better distribution, I don't see that as a bad thing. If he had a ton of movement in CM no doubt he'd play into them every so often too, but . . .

That has been the same situation since Alonso left. I remember precisely the same discussion on here then - the defenders would clear long because they either couldn't find or didn't trust those in midfield, and it usually resulted in possession being surrendered cheaply, but at least it was far up the pitch

That has been the same situation since Alonso left. I remember precisely the same discussion on here then - the defenders would clear long because they either couldn't find or didn't trust those in midfield, and it usually resulted in possession being surrendered cheaply, but at least it was far up the pitch

Yeah, but players like Agger and Skrtel discovered alternatives when they worked out that they had more defending to do when constantly churning possession. Carragher has been the only hoofaholic in the last few years.

Although, keep an eye on young Coates, he likes a good hoof too.

But the pattern is then Reina-Carra-Reina-hoof it just doesn't work. Pep has now become the hoofer, this has been one of the most apparent changes since the start of the season. don't even get me started on Carra's little hop skip and a jump every time he passes the ball!

Yeah, but players like Agger and Skrtel discovered alternatives when they worked out that they had more defending to do when constantly churning possession. Carragher has been the only hoofaholic in the last few years.

I disagree, the times he's hit it long has been attempts at crossfield passes to the wing or when under pressure with no alternatives in midfield. I actually think Coates is very similar to Sami when he first came here, and I think his distribution looks good so far.

But the pattern is then Reina-Carra-Reina-hoof it just doesn't work. Pep has now become the hoofer, this has been one of the most apparent changes since the start of the season. don't even get me started on Carra's little hop skip and a jump every time he passes the ball!

Pepe has always been a hoofer. Just usually more selective, more accurate and with a wider repertoire than Carra.

As SV says when you change things like that it takes time for the team to come up with new solutions. We're in a far better place for him having cut it out IMO. Although I must admit the odd back-to-front diagonal could pay dividends from time to time. As it did in the past, it can't be your primary out ball though.

Let's be fair he's finally cut out the thing that people have been whinging about for years, so if shit results, we need to be pointing the finger elsewhere.

I disagree, the times he's hit it long has been attempts at crossfield passes to the wing or when under pressure with no alternatives in midfield. I actually think Coates is very similar to Sami when he first came here, and I think his distribution looks good so far.

His distribution is excellent. His hoofs are laser guided and setup counter-attacks. They are hoofs with purpose as opposed to "emptying". Download some old Nacional games and you will see what I mean. He has one and almost another assist from 70yd "hoofs". These were hoofs where he didn't even take a touch to control the ball.

You'd say it was luck until you saw it happen game after game. And then you see the scissor kick volley, again, yes again, and you know luck has no part in it.

I think Carragher's been okay on the ball this season, it's his actual defending that worries me - he always seems to have a mistake in him now. He might have a solid 89 minutes but you know there'll be a brain fart somwhere, and it will often lead to a goal.

It's what players do when they're not confident. Either in themselves or in their teammates in the midfield. Ive seen carragher hit the odd fine cross field pass to downing/Enrique this season, but the majority have been 50/50 balls at best. I don't expect a much better return from a 60 yard pass from anyone. It's the injudicious use of it that frustrates.