You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

I think we have to take a punt on some talented youngsters in the 10-12m pound bracket. Dont think we can dream of signing another player in the 20-30m bracket, plus imo the market is pretty limited this year. You know top players like Falcao,Hulk,Llorente etc are been mentioned as in the 50m bracket. Just look at Hazard - 32m, thats a gamble in my opinion as think he will be too lightweight for the premiership.

Is it wrong if I want us to bid for Giovinco? He's 25 now so he's probably looking for a club where he can -finally- settle in. His height is probably the biggest stumbling block for most people, but plenty of small, quick players in the prem have proved that it's possible i.e. Modric, Mata, Silva. He'd be perfect as second striker/nr 10, has loads of pace and would provide a lot of creativity, that's for sure.

» Sebastian Giovinco: Under The Radar twelveGRAND

[YOUTUBE]AhldwV_l2Qo[/YOUTUBE]

I think we have to take a punt on some talented youngsters in the 10-12m pound bracket. Dont think we can dream of signing another player in the 20-30m bracket, plus imo the market is pretty limited this year. You know top players like Falcao,Hulk,Llorente etc are been mentioned as in the 50m bracket. Just look at Hazard - 32m, thats a gamble in my opinion as think he will be too lightweight for the premiership.

He maybe lightweight now but strength is something you can build up over time. The guy has amazing talent and will definitely succeed if given time.

Is it wrong if I want us to bid for Giovinco? He's 25 now so he's probably looking for a club where he can -finally- settle in. His height is probably the biggest stumbling block for most people, but plenty of small, quick players in the prem have proved that it's possible i.e. Modric, Mata, Silva. He'd be perfect as second striker/nr 10, has loads of pace and would provide a lot of creativity, that's for sure.

» Sebastian Giovinco: Under The Radar twelveGRAND

[YOUTUBE]AhldwV_l2Qo[/YOUTUBE]

Classy player, I would love to have him here.

I reckon Hazard will flop here

Ok then. A question for all and sundry to ponder.

I know opinions on particular players are divided and very subjective, but...

What would constitute a 'good' transfer window, and what would be a 'bad' one?

This is in relation to outgoings aswell as incomings.

My view has always been, just because you have money, it doesn't mean you have to spend it and that the criteria on any player should be 'are they good enough to play for Liverpool?'. If the answer to that is 'no' then dont buy them.

The way you improve your squad is by improving the first team and relegating previous starters to the role of a squad player, not by buying squad players. The term 'squad player' is basically a euphemism for 'stocking filler who is shite and bought for the sake of to make up the numbers'. Now, if you didnt have to pay them upwards of 40k per week, that would be fine, but it isn't the case and over the last few years we have been saddled witgh players every window that we can't even give away 12 months later.

Plus, if you cant get the player you want, or the closest and best alternative, then dont buy anybody. You dont actually have to spend every last copper in the chest every window. Unless the player is a sigbnificant upgrade on what you have, keep your powder dry until a player of that calibre does come along.

The reality is relegated starters are being paid first team wages and have first team expectations. They will leave or agitate. Given that and FSG's focus on managing the wage bill it's not possible to have for example Kuyt, Maxi, Aquilani and cole as squad players. Theoretically they'd be great squad players but it won't happen will it.

Reality is the same with holding back investment. Go backwards for a year in the hope that the player you want becomes available? No thanks. If you can do a deal ahead of time, great. Otherwise I'd rather improve 5% or next thing you know you will be stagnating waiting for non-existent perfect deals. The perfect player will have a moany wife who unsettles him anyways.

Improve as much as you can whenever you can. With as many unknowns as there are it's definitely a case of a bird in the hand . . .

Will he do so when asked to perform at the top end of transfer market though? That's the big question.....

Doesn't matter as we won't be dealing at the top end ourselves.

As a club we are going down the route of signing young players for as cheaply as possible hoping they turn into world class talent.

We need to hope Rodgers has an eye for a bargain.

Guest TK-421
Ok then. A question for all and sundry to ponder.

I know opinions on particular players are divided and very subjective, but...

What would constitute a 'good' transfer window, and what would be a 'bad' one?

In terms of outgoing: retaining Agger & Skrtel is essential (massive problem for Rodgers if either leaves), getting rid of high earners who don't contribute such as Cole, Aquilani and - wait for it - Carragher would make things easier for Rodgers to bring in the key players he needs to impose a new style of play. It looks like Rodgers will keep Cole, though. Someone had a bet with me that Cole will start 25 games all comps next season. Basically, apart from the high earners who never play, retaining as many players as possible is key in my humble opinion.

In terms of incoming: any new players will be a bonus as the squad is brittle, injury prone and lacks confidence. I agree with piscinin's post.

A successful window will be one where departures are limited and 3/4/5 key players are signed.

Elia, from what I have seen is a speed merchant, but unfortunately he is shit. He makes babel's decision making look more like zindane's.

As much as I would like pace in our side, I don't want it at the expense of good footballers.

Way better player both on and off the ball. What are you watching? Him on the left and Krasic on the right and we are a better team. Two Juve rejects fuck me

Diame in second round of talks with West Ham according the ticker on SSN

is right fat sam lad, you can have him

Come on Sam, make it happen.

One question though, is this the worst summer transfer window ever?

Top 20 saddos summer 2012:

1. Hank Moody 167

2. WaltonRed 135

3. fowler9 101

4. Unrighteous 76

5. Jairzinho 72

5. Funnneeeee 72

7. PaulMcC 63

8. MLB 61

9. Whelan 54

10. FrenchEyeGlass 53

11. lee909 52

12. silverlining 50

13. kalasoma 43

14. Evil_Ways 41

14. Glen C 41

16. Major Tom 40

16. ShoePiss 40

16. Phoenix 40

19. J-V 37

19. Babb'sBurstNad 37

Top 20 saddos summer 2012:

1. Hank Moody 167

2. WaltonRed 135

3. fowler9 101

4. Unrighteous 76

5. Jairzinho 72

5. Funnneeeee 72

7. PaulMcC 63

8. MLB 61

9. Whelan 54

10. FrenchEyeGlass 53

11. lee909 52

12. silverlining 50

13. kalasoma 43

14. Evil_Ways 41

14. Glen C 41

16. Major Tom 40

16. ShoePiss 40

16. Phoenix 40

19. J-V 37

19. Babb'sBurstNad 37

The depth some people go to get there stat fix in the summer.