You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Must buy games - 2012

Joe Le Taxi

MOHWARgenKEYART_0.jpg

The folk at Danger Close must have read this thread, as they've recently announced that the sequel to the 2010 version of Medal of Honor will be released in October this year!

Medal of Honor: Warfighter

I loved the campaign in the first MoH, as I've said many times before, so I'm really looking forward to see what they have in store this time round.

The game will be using the Frostbite 2 engine, but Dice will not be involved in the development of the game, unlike last time round when they were responsible for the not so popular multiplayer.

Danger Close will be doing the whole thing; the campaign, the multiplayer and the co-op modes. I've not heard anything as yet regarding the spec ops type mode that was available in the first title.

Looks like EA are possibly going to flip flop between Dice and Danger Close for annual FPS releases, in the same way Activision do with Infinity Ward and Treyarch.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been announced that the upcoming MMO FPS, Dust 514, will be a free to play game on the PS3.

Dust 514 allows PS3 gamers to team up with PC gamers from the Eve Online MMO and conquer the online universe.

Dust 514 - Fere to Play on PSN

Hi beloved PS Blog readers – we hope you have been enjoying our series of articles here. We have some big news about DUST 514 coming out this week and wanted to write a more personal note about it here, to you.

6808960944_8687bdd8d5_z.jpg

The development of DUST 514 has been an amazing experience, as we at CCP pioneer new frontiers for console games in collaboration with Sony. It has really been a process of exploring and breaking new ground – running an MMO service that needs constant updates on a console, microtransactions on a console, connecting an MMO on console to an MMO on PC in a real time shared universe and the Marketplace between the two – and there’s even more to come. Today, I’m writing about one more of those things – DUST 514 will be free to play on PlayStation 3!

This news means DUST 514 is the first ever game built from the ground up as a free to play MMOFPS on console, exclusively on the PlayStation 3. Thanks to how Sony has set up the PlayStation Network – and the innovations they have been making on it together with us – Sony’s console platform is the only one able to support this kind of game as a service and business model.

The development of DUST and CCP’s engagement with Sony has been ongoing since before E3 2011 last year, when we announced our partnership. Over that time, we’ve seen the rise of free to play and microtransaction based games in the Western markets on PC, web and mobile (they’ve been popular in Asia for some time – one of the reasons DUST development is based out of China, an interesting story in itself, for another time) – but consoles have only taken baby steps throughout this generation in this regard, with some patches and DLC and demos, until today.

6955070569_99ac97d39d_z.jpg

Just to be totally clear, DUST 514 will be a free to play game, without any cover charge. We debated the cover charge idea for a while, kind of as a hybrid between the old business model (having to purchase a game) and this new one (free to play). As we watched the market evolve, gamers choices in free to play games evolve, our own tastes in free to play evolve and developing what’s needed to support it in collaboration with Sony, this just became the obvious way to go – no cover charge, completely free to play. It’s the right time.

To put it very simply, we think it’s an awesome, amazing opportunity to evolve how console games are made and offered to players, and we believe you’ll agree.

We know you’re eager for more, and we’ll be coming out with tons of info at our annual FanFest convention in Iceland, which starts on March 22. We’ll have first hands-on, while also unveiling details about how we are rolling out DUST 514, videos, interviews (answers to many of your burning questions – we’re watching the comments, reading the forums, listening!), and much more. Sony has hooked up amazing prizes for our DUST 514 tournament at FanFest, we can’t wait to see the battles!

Thanks for coming on this journey with us, it’s one unlike any other, and we’re just getting warmed up. We cannot be more excited for you all to play DUST 514, and being able to make that a reality for free on PS3.

Stay tuned for more very soon!

• 1 month later...

To be honest I am now at the point where I don't really want to buy any games.

MW3 has been a massive let down as was GT5 and Dirt 3 had pretty much no depth to it.

Maybe I am expecting to much, but the standard of games right now seems fucking appalling. Everything looks great, but it all seems to be very little content and hope the online side covers it over. This is great until you get the cheat fest online.

To be honest I am now at the point where I don't really want to buy any games.

MW3 has been a massive let down as was GT5 and Dirt 3 had pretty much no depth to it.

Maybe I am expecting to much, but the standard of games right now seems fucking appalling. Everything looks great, but it all seems to be very little content and hope the online side covers it over. This is great until you get the cheat fest online.

Feel the exact same, mate.

It has been announced that the upcoming MMO FPS, Dust 514, will be a free to play game on the PS3.

Stay tuned for more very soon!

Will that not put PC gamers at an advantage and leave PS3 players as cannon fodder?

(Although I suppose the standardised hardware on consoles will balance things up a little)

Will that not put PC gamers at an advantage and leave PS3 players as cannon fodder?

(Although I suppose the standardised hardware on consoles will balance things up a little)

The way I understand it is, PC players will be able to hire PS3 players as a squadron/mercenaries to fight the land battles on their behalf in the Eve Online Universe, leaving the PC players to battle it out in space.

PC players and PS3 players will never go head to head, although PS3 players can call in support strikes from the hiring PC player orbiting the planet the PS3 players are battling for control of.

I see it as sort of an expansion pack for existing Eve Online players over on PC, and a potential quality freebie for PS3 FPS players.

The concept sounds really intruiging to me, although the execution may yet leave a lot to be desired. To my mind it's the first real steps into cross platform gaming, and for that reason alone I'll at the very least give the game a blast upon release. Plus, it's going to be free on PSN...

• 2 weeks later...
Just pre ordered Max Payne 3 can't wait.

I'm gonna get this to, went to watch avengers last night and this Max Payne trailer was on before it. My missus who's no interest in games. Turned and said "oh, that looks great. You getting it?"

I'm gonna get this to, went to watch avengers last night and this Max Payne trailer was on before it. My missus who's no interest in games. Turned and said "oh, that looks great. You getting it?"

Ha! What was The Avengers like?

• 2 weeks later...