You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FIFA say no to England side wearing Poppies on shirts

Antynwa

Guest Pistonbroke

I've not had time, or indeed, the inclination, to review FIFAs stance on homophobia.

The fact you have would speak volumes

You are just skirting around the issue as you know damn well i snookered you on your initial comment. Kudos for not falling into the trap, but I really don't have to take it any further as my point about FIFA and their decision on the topic at hand has been proven. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Ah - playing the "can't answer the question, so change the subject" card.

It's not that he can't, he won't, as he'd be either calling himself a bell end or have to admit he doesn't like the gays. 

You are just skirting around the issue as you know damn well i snookered you on your initial comment. Kudos for not falling into the trap, but I really don't have to take it any further as my point about FIFA and their decision on the topic at hand has been proven.

Not really.

Donald Trump recently announced he would fight for gay rights as president.

Guess he's a top guy in your book?

Not really.

You implied that FIFA are wrong about everything and therefore we can assume that they are wrong about the current issue.  That's balls.  They're demonstrably not wrong about everything, so you have to judge their position on each issue on its own merits: in the words of Bo Diddley, you can't judge one by looking at the other".

As for Trump, he is both right and wrong on most issues, as he has taken contradictory positions on most issues, as the whim takes him.  I'm not aware that Pissy has ever implied that we can judge the merits of any issue by going on the opposite of what Trump says.

Guest Pistonbroke

Not really.

We are not discussing Trump though, are we?, you said "Anyone supporting FIFA's stance on absolutely ANYTHING must be a bit of a bellend."

I've asked you a question which you won't answer, your attempts in seeing that through are pretty lame. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Neither did you?

Apart from actually being the first and only person to raise FIFAs stance on homophobia in this thread (or on any thread I would imagine)

No. Clearly not.

I used FIFA's stance on Homophobia as an example to shoot down your original comment which was bollocks. The weird thing is you know that but instead of answering it you just dig deeper as you make a fool of yourself. 

Here's my take. The whole point of the poppy appeal was to commemorate the dead of the First World War, an imperialist slaughterfest that led to the death of most of a generation in Europe. It was apolitical and a-nationalistic, because it was politics and nationalism that led to that war, which led to a generation of war dead.

Fast forward to 2016, and Fifa are saying it's a political symbol. It shouldn't be, but this response is proving them right. And the response - along with the general rise of poppy jingoism in the tabloids in recent years - is trying to claim ownership of it, turning it into a political issue and undermining the whole idea of commemoration transcending politics and nationalism, because that's what leads to dead men in Belgian fields.

The FA would empower the appeal far more if their response treated it with some dignity - "we're disappointed with the stance FIFA have taken but will look for an alternative - in the meantime commemoration will take place in domestic matches and we'll be making a sizeable donation to the poppy appeal." Fifa can keep a lid on what is a complicated issue. War dead are remembered. The FA have marked the occasion.

It hasn't happened though, because there's just too much capital to be made, turning Fifa - like the EU etc - into bogeymen and making the ruling authorities look strong and crusading for justice. It stinks to me, it's political capital from an apolitical symbol, and it's robbing a solemn occasion of dignity far more than a ban by Fifa is. But all par for the course in this era of outrage politics.

Bit pissed so probably ranty.

• Upvote 4

Here's my take. The whole point of the poppy appeal was to commemorate the dead of the First World War, an imperialist slaughterfest that led to the death of most of a generation in Europe. It was apolitical and a-nationalistic, because it was politics and nationalism that led to that war, which led to a generation of war dead.

Fast forward to 2016, and Fifa are saying it's a political symbol. It shouldn't be, but this response is proving them right. And the response - along with the general rise of poppy jingoism in the tabloids in recent years - is trying to claim ownership of it, turning it into a political issue and undermining the whole idea of commemoration transcending politics and nationalism, because that's what leads to dead men in Belgian fields.

The FA would empower the appeal far more if their response treated it with some dignity - "we're disappointed with the stance FIFA have taken but will look for an alternative - in the meantime commemoration will take place in domestic matches and we'll be making a sizeable donation to the poppy appeal." Fifa can keep a lid on what is a complicated issue. War dead are remembered. The FA have marked the occasion.

It hasn't happened though, because there's just too much capital to be made, turning Fifa - like the EU etc - into bogeymen and making the ruling authorities look strong and crusading for justice. It stinks to me, it's political capital from an apolitical symbol, and it's robbing a solemn occasion of dignity far more than a ban by Fifa is. But all par for the course in this era of outrage politics.

Bit pissed so probably ranty.

Good post, mate. You considered repping yourself?

Wear it anyway take the fine, surely players who have dead in the Great War are able to do that much, really show appreciation for what was sacrificed. Or just be pricks in an England jersey, James mc Clean at least loath him or otherwise does what he feels he his family and city folk would want. The Men or the Great War should be remembered Man up for fuck sake.

Wear it anyway take the fine, surely players who have dead in the Great War are able to do that much, really show appreciation for what was sacrificed. Or just be pricks in an England jersey, James mc Clean at least loath him or otherwise does what he feels he his family and city folk would want. The Men or the Great War should be remembered Man up for fuck sake.

Nobody is saying they shouldn't be remembered.

The only question is whether the IFAB/FIFA ban on political, religious and commercial logos on "equipment" (i.e. match kit - but not training kit, etc.) extends to armbands.