You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

To learn to play the guitar.

Anny Road

10 hours ago, Elite said:

I plan on following Marty Schwartz lessons YouTube, any other good sources?

Your guitar sage,Rick Beato(mostly theory but interesting) Andy Guitar,Justin Guitar. But my advice is to get a lesson or two to begin with,you will improve faster as you will be taught things in more of an order rather than a bit from here and a bit from there. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Rick Beato's YouTube channel is excellent.

I watch it loads, I was never a good enough musician to know half of what he is on about. 

But the what makes this song great series is mint, even with some of the songs I don't like it's really interesting seeing how they are built up. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

I watch it loads, I was never a good enough musician to know half of what he is on about. 

But the what makes this song great series is mint, even with some of the songs I don't like it's really interesting seeing how they are built up. 

Each time you watch you pick up just a little bit more knowledge.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

And Rick does it all with so much warmth and enthusiasm that his vids are infectious.

Yes he does. The fact that he's a multi instrumentalist and has such musical knowledge gives a window into say how George Martin was with The Beatles and say Quincy Jones with the artists he works with.

He's interesting just from the perspective of learning about music, let alone learning an instrument. His videos are always pretty clearly titled as well so if you want to avoid him talking about scales and keys, you can.

Quite like Rhett Shull's stuff too, who appears on the channel from time to time, although he's less instructional.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

He's interesting just from the perspective of learning about music, let alone learning an instrument. His videos are always pretty clearly titled as well so if you want to avoid him talking about scales and keys, you can.

Quite like Rhett Shull's stuff too, who appears on the channel from time to time, although he's less instructional.

Rhett Shull is a bit more of a gear head and I can take or leave hm. Adam Neely(sp?) is another decent youtuber on music also.

Totally, that's why I didn't mention him at first. Lots of good vids about guitar setup and maintenance as well though.

I also watch the odd vid of Paul David's, although in small doses as he's so fucking smug.

On Shull, the jam at the end of this is brilliant: 

It will also drop out of tune for a bit as the strings stretch out (will always happen with new strings), so expect to have to retune for the first few times you play it.

I think you can tap the note on guitar tuna and it plays a sample tone, which will tell you what you're aiming for so you can get close by ear and then use the app to fine tune it.

• Upvote 2

Really enjoying learning.

I've been following Justin Guitars beginner guide. I've learnt the D chord and now onto the A chord, my fingers hurt like fuck so I can't practice for long, I just do about 5-10mins every hour few hours.

Even playing the odd chord is relaxing, strumming each individual string to make sure the fingers are placed correctly. 

I was a bit worried that I'd get frustrated prior to buying one but I'm finding it very humbling, knowing that it's going to take a while for my fingers to toughen up and muscle memory to kick in. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Elite said:

Really enjoying learning.

I've been following Justin Guitars beginner guide. I've learnt the D chord and now onto the A chord, my fingers hurt like fuck so I can't practice for long, I just do about 5-10mins every hour few hours.

Even playing the odd chord is relaxing, strumming each individual string to make sure the fingers are placed correctly. 

I was a bit worried that I'd get frustrated prior to buying one but I'm finding it very humbling, knowing that it's going to take a while for my fingers to toughen up and muscle memory to kick in. 

Get lighter gauge strings put on your guitar when you can. Go to a guitar shop and ask them to put light gauge strings on. I think my daily guitar has 9 gauge or similar. You dont want anything more than 10 at the most but lower gauge is better to begin with.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Get lighter gauge strings put on your guitar when you can. Go to a guitar shop and ask them to put light gauge strings on. I think my daily guitar has 9 gauge or similar. You dont want anything more than 10 at the most but lower gauge is better to begin with.

I was hoping my fingers would toughen up, I can cope with the pain until then.

Just now, Elite said:

Takes a while.

Try sliding up and down strings with one finger to build up callouses.

No idea if this is good, but I think it might be useful.

https://midlifeguitar.com/simple-acoustic-guitar-songs-for-beginners/

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Elite said:

They will. Would be surprised if that guitar came strung from the factory with anything other than a .012 set.

Guitar makers don't want extra light strings on their stuff as it sounds out of tune when most folks play it.

You would need a really fine touch to play an .010 set and have it sound in tune.