You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Overpaid & under strength

SlugTrail

Given the fact that he bought our club after we lost Alonso the year before, Mascherano, Aquilani and even Benayoun, and lost Torres not long after, I too would agree that the squad is thin of quality.

However, the press using it to blame Rafa again is dis ingenious. If we had a rich owner under Rafa, we would be keeping our 2009 squad that nearly won the league AND adding on Mereiles, Suarez and Carol. Thats what top teams do. Not trade top players and have a second squad of bargain buys

Given the fact that he bought our club after we lost Alonso the year before, Mascherano, Aquilani and even Benayoun, and lost Torres not long after, I too would agree that the squad is thin of quality.

However, the press using it to blame Rafa again is dis ingenious. If we had a rich owner under Rafa, we would be keeping our 2009 squad that nearly won the league AND adding on Mereiles, Suarez and Carol. Thats what top teams do. Not trade top players and have a second squad of bargain buys

I just cant get over how badly the owners treated Rafa, forcing him to spend all that money on shite players, if only he was allowed to buy some quality ones with pace and skill instead.

I just cant get over how badly the owners treated Rafa, forcing him to spend all that money on shite players, if only he was allowed to buy some quality ones with pace and skill instead.

This wasn't supposed to be about what manager brought who, or who hates what manager, this is about players being overpaid for being shite.

If you don't like Rafa then thats your beef, try not to look back on all the negativity as it is all to depressing. we should be looking forward now.

Benitaur --- He bought almost everyone in this squad. He'll rightly get blamed for them being shite.

Now, get over it. We're going to dismantle this squad THIS summer... Thank god.

Yep, and all the cream is gone bar Reina. I doubt we would ever see a fit and fully functional Gerrard ever again.

Easy to judge and say the squad is shit when all the best players have left and only the remnants are left that were bench warmers at best

I fully agree with his assessment - he used the words "poor squad". Our best eleven is pretty strong, but injuries have shown how little depth we have. He's harking back to the Benitez doctrine of keeping squad players happy with money - a complete failure IMO. That's what brought in Dossena etc.

But the best news is.........it's a statement about quality and intent as well as value for money. And that means it's good for LFC.

Liverpool were particularly weak up front and Dirk Kuyt and David Ngog were the only recognised back-up for Fernando Torres.

Despite this imbalance, the Reds still had one of the heftiest wage bills in the Premier League and Henry is determined to reshape the squad to deliver better value for money.

Seems he's talking about why we're short strikers, at left back, at centreback, out wide, yet still have one of the highest wage bills. Logically, it follows that if you're spending lots, you have lots--always disappointing to find you haven't got lots once you've spent lots. If we hadn't brought in Carroll and Suarez, we'd be dreadfully short of attacking options right now.

Guest TK-421

Why haven't we got a left back? Because Purslow let Insua go and replaced him with somebody worse. In their infinite wisdom Roy and Christian decided Aurelio would be reliable back up.

Why haven't we got pace out wide? Because Purslow signed Joe Cole when it was clear the risks of signing him outweighed the benefits.

These issues could have been rectified in the summer. Everyone said the squad was good enough to challenge for the top four, if not the title, if the right adjustments were made last summer, but they weren't.

Why don't we have depth in midfield? Because Poulsen was deemed to be good enough when he isn't.

It doesn't make sense to bring Rafa into it. He built a great side and left star players worth two or three times their initial transfer fees, like Torres. This allowed rebuilding to be done if the new manager so desired.

The wrong decisions were made last summer and the squad suffered from under investment for 3-4 transfer windows before that due to Hicks and Gillett.

I find it distasteful and inaccurate that Henry is implicating Rafa in the blame game without the requisite knowledge to back up his views.

TK I was very pro Rafa, intact I still am. But the way you have worded that is making him out to be some kind of Demi god, which he isn't. He made mistakes as does every manager, even Kenny has and still will. We just need to stop living off of past achievements, as great as they were.

We need to usher in a new era, where the fans are unified and the team plays good football that helps us win things.

Our past is our past, it should never be forgotten but it also shouldn't be dwelt on either.

Why haven't we got a left back? Because Purslow let Insua go and replaced him with somebody worse. In their infinite wisdom Roy and Christian decided Aurelio would be reliable back up.

Why haven't we got pace out wide? Because Purslow signed Joe Cole when it was clear the risks of signing him outweighed the benefits.

These issues could have been rectified in the summer. Everyone said the squad was good enough to challenge for the top four, if not the title, if the right adjustments were made last summer, but they weren't.

Why don't we have depth in midfield? Because Poulsen was deemed to be good enough when he isn't.

It doesn't make sense to bring Rafa into it. He built a great side and left star players worth two or three times their initial transfer fees, like Torres. This allowed rebuilding to be done if the new manager so desired.

The wrong decisions were made last summer and the squad suffered from under investment for 3-4 transfer windows before that due to Hicks and Gillett.

I find it distasteful and inaccurate that Henry is implicating Rafa in the blame game without the requisite knowledge to back up his views.

Fuck me,I didnt know Purslow used to be our manager. No wonder we were so shite.

Purslow was our executive director for about 20 months and he did a catastrophic job, except when it came to selling the club.

But he wasnt the manager. The manager decides who comes into the club unless you are Real Madrid.

You are letting Hodgson off the hook and focusing on the wrong person,try Jessie James and Billy the Kid.

To be fair he tried to buy Jovetic and Silva but had the rug pulled from under him at the last minute.....Allegedly

Guest PurpleNose
I`d rather have nobody than Insua.

Insua would struggle to make a better impact than this one.

orange_traffic_cone.jpg

I'd rather we just put Konchesky, Insua and Aurelio into a skip, signed Enrique, had Robinson as back up, and I could stop having nightmares about our left backs doing pirouettes.

Benitaur --- He bought almost everyone in this squad. He'll rightly get blamed for them being shite.

Now, get over it. We're going to dismantle this squad THIS summer... Thank god.

I just don't think we have the resources for what this means. I wish I could be more optimistic but I can't. I think we will see one in one out on a position by position basis with no more than 4 first team starters coming in. LB, LW, CM and RW.

I just don't think we have the resources for what this means. I wish I could be more optimistic but I can't. I think we will see one in one out on a position by position basis with no more than 4 first team starters coming in. LB, LW, CM and RW.

After Henry has commented on a poor squad depth? That wouldn't make sense.

• 3 months later...