You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll, what does he do?

Code

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that someone actually thought he was worth £35 million. Or even what we managed to squeeze out from West Ham. He can head a ball and is a big strong lad, that's it. Obviously if you build your game around that kind of player it might work out alright, but we bought him and Suarez together. How the fuck was that going to work out? We could just as well have bought Carlton Cole for £10 million and it would have looked better.

• Upvote 2

I'd rather not booze during the season and have a decent career than drink every night and be regarded as a pathetic figure of fun. I'd call that a no brainer myself. He's got a short shelf life to forge some kind of legacy for himself and he's already well on his way to going down in the history books as the biggest waste of money in the history of English football. When he's 30 nobody is going to want such a joke coaching their kids or offering a pundit's opinions on a game he seemingly doesn't even value. He's ruining his career, his life, and his future. Wouldn't call that living the dream myself.

• Upvote 2

Watching him yesterday  I was amazed by his recuperative powers. Coming off a long injury lay-off he looked exactly the player he was before. Remarkable.

Our worst ever transfer in- our best ever transfer out.

And to think what might have happened if we had stuck with Andy, Joe and Stewart...

• 2 months later...

tumblr_lznj07trMO1qa3nkxo2_500.gif

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way.

edit: I just noticed Downing shit out of the hug. Shithouse move that. 

I like to think that in another alternate reality, jaegerbombs don't exist and andy trains harder than the best of the best trainspotters in the world. In that world he slots that chance away against newcastle with aplomb and a banana.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that someone actually thought he was worth £35 million. Or even what we managed to squeeze out from West Ham. He can head a ball and is a big strong lad, that's it. Obviously if you build your game around that kind of player it might work out alright, but we bought him and Suarez together. How the fuck was that going to work out? We could just as well have bought Carlton Cole for £10 million and it would have looked better.

Agreed.

Despise all this big man / little man, Toshack / Keegan crap. Give me a Dalglish / Rush, Sturridge / Suarez, fast, potent, creative, lethal partnership any day.

Big man up front = alehouse footy.