You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres: Will he stay beyond this season?

ReDeus

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he may well give Kenny a season - I've never seen a player change his entire persona so quickly as he has over the last three games. I think there's real respect there and with owners, fans and manager united as they haven't been for years, I think that provided NESV offer real financial backing, he'd be too curious not to give it another season.

Agree with this 104%

The difference in Torres is like night and day. He obviously believes in Dalglish and sees him the same way as the fans do.

If Kenny stays, he'll stay. I reckon the level of respect is such that he'll give the King at least a full season to work his magic. I also don't see too many realistic destinations for him. He won't join Real or another English club, Barca would struggle to accomodate him alongside Villa and it's doubtful Italy or Germany would hold much appeal for him at this stage in his career.

Did he not confirm his commitment to the club in the last 2 weeks?

He might want to leave, but I doubt he will. If he were to go, I'd rather it be at the start of the window so that we have enough time to get a replacement, unlike Mascherano who left us with a gaping hole in our midfield which we couldn't get someone to replace in time.

After reading his autobiography, the situation he found himself at the club he supported all his life Aletico is nearly identical to the one we find ourselves in. He's really motivated by success which has been limited here and looks to remain that way for the immediate future. I'd say he'll be off, will be in tears if it does happenbut wouldn't begrudge him a move

If indeed Nando does go in the summer, that Hodgson appointment has proved very, very costly.

It's bad enough building a top team from where we are, but losing a proven, world class striker in the process would be extremely bad news.

Would also signal that we're in a downward spiral to other players, and add a couple of mill on to the price of anyone we did try to sign.

This is a tricky one. On the one hand, we've got not chance of being in the Champions League next season, so he will be tempted to move. Two seasons out of top European football is a lot to miss for a striker of his stature in his prime.

But then again...

He seems to be showing more fight for the king. This is a good sign. If that is backed up by, say, the signing of Suarez this January, plus one or two others, or at least other big signings for the summer (I know, I know, he's heard this all before from the previous con-men; but hopefully FSG will have some substance and will do what is required) - then I think there is a chance.

Two or three weeks ago I'd have said no chance he will stay. Now I'm not so sure.

Personally I think he's off. As has been said we're looking at least a couple of years out of the CL. He's at the point of his career where he will want to be challenging for honours. There's far too much smoke regarding promises made and a buy out clause.

If FSG really recruit some top quality players he might change his mind. Trouble is with a temporary manager and no european football, what calibre of players are we going to be able to bring in?

Seriously where will he go? If Torres has a £50 mill release clause we don't have to sell for a penny less so why would the club accept less? Torres himself would have been happy with the £50 mill clause otherwise he wouldn't sign it! So assuming that's the price who will pay it?

Chelsea have an aging squad, managerial situation is similar to ours. Man City? Just don't think Torres sees himself playing for them! Abroad? Barcelona be surprised if they pay that amount! Inter maybe?

We should play hardball if Torres says he wants out it's £50 mill if not he stays end of.

Seriously where will he go? If Torres has a £50 mill release clause we don't have to sell for a penny less so why would the club accept less? Torres himself would have been happy with the £50 mill clause otherwise he wouldn't sign it! So assuming that's the price who will pay it?

Chelsea have an aging squad, managerial situation is similar to ours. Man City? Just don't think Torres sees himself playing for them! Abroad? Barcelona be surprised if they pay that amount! Inter maybe?

We should play hardball if Torres says he wants out it's £50 mill if not he stays end of.

We probably wouldn't get £50 million at the moment for him. Trouble is when a player decides he's off that usually is the end of the matter. We're not likely to stick him in the reserves for the rest of his contract?

If Nando's form improves under Kenny and he still wants to go in the summer it should at least help get a better deal. The way he has been playing under Hodgson (not all Nando's fault I know, so don't start mentioning service!) anyway - the way he has been playing, we'd struggle to activate his release clause as people won't even want to pay that.

This is why I hope we do something special and sign Suarez AND Lukaku in January. It would give us incredible strength in depth going forward, but it would also make us a bit less vulnerable should Nando jump ship in the summer.

If Nando leaves we might struggle to attract quality even if the money is there. But with him here we have more chance of others coming.

So ideally I'd like to see Suarez and Lukaku both come this month. 40million plus Babel. Bam!

If Nando's form improves under Kenny and he still wants to go in the summer it should at least help get a better deal. The way he has been playing under Hodgson (not all Nando's fault I know, so don't start mentioning service!) anyway - the way he has been playing, we'd struggle to activate his release clause as people won't even want to pay that.

This is why I hope we do something special and sign Suarez AND Lukaku in January. It would give us incredible strength in depth going forward, but it would also make us a bit less vulnerable should Nando jump ship in the summer.

If Nando leaves we might struggle to attract quality even if the money is there. But with him here we have more chance of others coming.

So ideally I'd like to see Suarez and Lukaku both come this month. 40million plus Babel. Bam!

good shout but we'd still have issues until the summer

Honestly belive that Nando and Pepe will be here for several seasons more, before ending their careers in Atletico. Hopefully with an english league title under their belt.

Why would Pepe end his career at Atletico? He's never played for them.

I can't see Reina ever wanting to leave, to be honest. I would suspect that he'll stay until the club suggests otherwise.

Why would Pepe end his career at Atletico? He's never played for them.

I can't see Reina ever wanting to leave, to be honest. I would suspect that he'll stay until the club suggests otherwise.

Didn't pepe's dad have links or play for Athletico? Think he's referring to that.

I think we need to be realistic about this -Torres only stayed last summer because he was made promises about investment and new owners (the same promises he had been made before). We've had a change of owner, but there's still no sign of investment or of a change to our declining fortunes - and even if there IS investment, we are in such a bad way that we're no longer looking at a quick fix. Of course he isn't going to stay around on the basis of more mellifluous promises. It's a different situation to Gerrard becasue this is Stevie's boyhood club - Fernando left his to win trophies.

He's gone - of course he is gone. We just have to hope that he goes abroad, as i couldn't stand seeing him in a Chelsea or Manchester City shirt. I guess that will depend on whether they want to replace tevez come May? We also have to hope fervently that our summer transfer budget isn't just what we get for Torres.

The real question is whether Pepe will stay.

I think we need to be realistic about this -Torres only stayed last summer because he was made promises about investment and new owners (the same promises he had been made before). We've had a change of owner, but there's still no sign of investment or of a change to our declining fortunes - and even if there IS investment, we are in such a bad way that we're no longer looking at a quick fix. Of course he isn't going to stay around on the basis of more mellifluous promises. It's a different situation to Gerrard becasue this is Stevie's boyhood club - Fernando left his to win trophies.

He's gone - of course he is gone. We just have to hope that he goes abroad, as i couldn't stand seeing him in a Chelsea or Manchester City shirt. I guess that will depend on whether they want to replace tevez come May? We also have to hope fervently that our summer transfer budget isn't just what we get for Torres.

The real question is whether Pepe will stay.

Bingo. But the fear for me is a foreign club can't afford him. You wouldn't get an Italian club paying the sort of money he'd likely to go for, and his Athletico links mean the only club in Spain who could afford him, he wouldn't even consider. This leaves, as you say, the 2 horrible cunts from this country - If Abramovic is getting ready to pack his bags at Chelsea - i can't see him putting that sort of money in, so Eastlands realistically is the only viable destination.

Yep. Torres was happy to leave the club he absolutely adored because they hadn’t won anything and he had a concrete desire to be in a team challenging for the top honours. Therefore he will be happy to stay at his new club where he has not won anything in 3 seasons, while even his old club he absolutely adored goes and wins the UEFA Cup. Of course he’ll stay! No way he’ll leave…..