You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Prematch article - Everton

bluey

As you can see from the username i support the team from across the park lads, but I'm not here to wind anybody up.

I'm doing a prematch article for a matchday thread on our forum, I would appreciate it if you could spare a few moments of your time to answer a couple of questions please.

I will post a link to the thread on Toffeetalk once its up and running, and thanks again in advance for any replies.

I had most of this sorted before the takeover news broke so after reading the forum i dont have to ask what you think about it, so i wont mention it.:smile:

Thanks to Mods and Admin for allowing me to post it. Here we go

1 .... I know its still only early into the new season at the moment, but what are your feelings on your new manager, will he pull it round.

Would you have preferred somebody different or would you have been happy to stick with Rafa. ?

2 .... Can you put forward any reasons why Torres seems to have gone from a top classs striker to a very average one. Is he playing to get a transfer, or is he still struggling with a bit of a niggling injury. ?

3 .... If you could swap any two players from the EFC squad to replace two of yours, who would you choose and who would they replace. ?

4 .... I've not heard anything about the new ground in the Stanley Park recently, is it still in the melting pot or has it been scrapped altogether, and whats your feelings on a groundshare. ?

5 .... Neither side has started very well this season but I'm fairly sure that both are likely to recover, have you had any thoughts about what position you might finish. ?

6 .... And finally, How will the game go and what do think the result will be. ?

May good luck shine on you and your team for the rest of the season.

I mean after our game of course.

Thanks again.

Bill.

1 NO, won't be turned around, Rafa had to go at the time but now we've appointed a clown would take him back.

2 Manager doesn't know how to use him, thinks he's Zamora.

3 Any left backs?

4 No groundshare, looks like Anfield will get a make over Laurence Lllewellen Bowen

5 Bottom half, relegation or a new manager and skys the limit.

6 2 or 3 nil to Everton

Mr. Blowy - good post this, happy to help

1. I would have preferred somebody different.

2. He has been injured, lost a lot of confidence at the WC and cannot get the ball where/when he wants it in the current system.

3. I'll have Arteta, you take Lucas. Thats enough.

4. What do you think?

5. 7th.....ish

6. 2-1

1 .... I know its still only early into the new season at the moment, but what are your feelings on your new manager, will he pull it round.

Would you have preferred somebody different or would you have been happy to stick with Rafa. ?

He's shit. He won't pull it around, I can't see any room for improvement from him, he can't get any better and he's negative as fuck. Wouldn't bring Rafa back, need a fresh start all round regarding owners and managers.

2 .... Can you put forward any reasons why Torres seems to have gone from a top classs striker to a very average one. Is he playing to get a transfer, or is he still struggling with a bit of a niggling injury. ?

Roy Hodgson. How would playing shit get him a transfer?

3 .... If you could swap any two players from the EFC squad to replace two of yours, who would you choose and who would they replace. ?

Baines and Arteta for Konchesky and Poulsen

4 .... I've not heard anything about the new ground in the Stanley Park recently, is it still in the melting pot or has it been scrapped altogether, and whats your feelings on a groundshare. ?

Groundshare can get to fuck.

5 .... Neither side has started very well this season but I'm fairly sure that both are likely to recover, have you had any thoughts about what position you might finish. ?

Below 10 if Hodgson lasts until May, top 4 if Kenny comes in.

6 .... And finally, How will the game go and what do think the result will be. ?

2-0 to your lot unfortunately, if the Yanks have gone and there's an atmosphere from the away end I reckon we'll do you.

1. He's out of his depth. I'd have kept Rafa but when he went I'd have went for someone else. Pellegrini, Dalglish and if it was short term Hitzfeld would've all been good.

2. Hodgson hasn't a clue how to get the best out of him.

3. Konchesky for Baines. Poulsen for Jagielka even though they're different positions.

4. Redevelop Anfield.

5. Bottom half, maybe scrape 9th or 10th with Hodgson in charge. Still challenge for Europe under a new manager.

6. 1-0 Everton

Guest PurpleNose

1 Hodgson's out of his depth. I wanted, and still want Pellegrini. Not sure about having Rafa back. He's a great manager but for various reasons I think its better for everyone, mostly him, that he manages in Italy or Spain.

2 Mixture of both. Probably has absolutely no confidence in the current manager.

3 The young tall lad in midfield that United wanted, name escapes me. Swap him for Poulsen, because he's fucking shite. Take Arteta for Babel.

4 Can't see us getting a new ground anytime soon, don't want one either. Nor do I want to share a ground with Everton. Redevelop Anfield, increase capacity by 10k.

5 Depends on the whether we have cash (in January) to spend or not, and who will be spending it. If Hodgson stays, somewhere between 8th and 14th.

6 We're going to get bummed.

1) Didn't want Hodgson, would have preferred Hitzfeld or Pelligrini, but Rafa had to go.

2) When ur manager doesn't know whether he plays better as a lone striker or not you know ur in trouble!!

3) I'd have Rodwell for Lucas/Poulson and Arteta for Babel

4) Not even an option and hopefully never will be

5) Depends whose in charge and whether the mood inside the camp improves once takeover goes through

6) Can't see any other result than an Everton win...2-0, 2-1

1 Because of his age profile and conservative nature it's difficult to see Hodgson making the necessary changes to give us a chance of improving.

2 Post World Cup blues, continuing injury worries and a worrying dose of brattishness because opposition defenders have the temerity to tackle him.

3 I'll take three thanks. Jagielka, Arteta and Cahill for Skrtel, Poulsen and Babel.

4 No thanks. And no big Pepsi Cola Superdome either. Redeveloped Anfield please.

5 A real risk of mid-table at this stage.

6 Anything could happen. We were playing badly last year before both games and the players came through with the goods. Dirk Kuyt usually plays a massive role in these games. I don't think Carra and Gerrard will allow us to lose this one.

Usually an international break is a negative, but the way we've been playing up to now, the players certainly won't come back and play any worse, surely. A break might be as good as a rest.

A Kuyt goal and at least two red cards. No idea on a scoreline though.

Like a lot of others, I wanted someone other then Hodgson. Infact, with the possibility of new owners and so the job been a temporary one, I wanted Dalglish. However, now Hodgson has the job I believe he should have be given time. As for Rafa - I was one of his biggest fans, but for the split in fan base and how Rafa basically became a politician in his last days, it's probably better he left.

I think a mix of all of the above. I think Torres may regret sticking with us and that is showing on the pitch. Mzyeb new ownership can change this. There is no doubt he was carrying some sort of an injury as has been shown by him getting injured again. But i also think you have to be very specific in how you play him. In his entire career, Rafa seems to be the only manager who has got regular goals out of him. He is 1 in 3 games with every other manager, whereas he's about 1 in 1.5 games with us under the former manager.

I'd take Arteta for Poulson.

Never ever EVER groundshare. Heart says redevelop Main stand and Anny road. Head leans towards new stadium

Bottom half. maybe 14th.

Comfortable win for you lot. Your good headers of the ball will have a field day against us.

I only wanted Rafa replacing if we had someone decent to replace him with, Roy Hodgson isn't the man to move us forward in my opinion but you wont hear me shouting for his head just yet.

It's a bit daft to say "playing to get a transfer". He's obviously struggling for fitness while simultaneously being at his lowest ebb (confidence wise) in a red shirt. I think he's also suffering from the way Roy sets out the team.

You can keep your lads thanks, but I'd swap Ryan Babel for a Sayer's crusty cob with Lancashire cheese and some strong onion.

Groundshare would be the absolute worse thing I could think of. Even if they were to build the best stadium in England - it would have no soul.

I think we're going to be fighting for 10th spot with yourselves.

Under Roy's current philosophy, and knowing this is the biggest game of the season, for your lot, we're probably looking at an embarrassing though ultimately deserved defeat - maybe 3-0.

Good luck with your article Bill.

As you can see from the username i support the team from across the park lads, but I'm not here to wind anybody up.

I'm doing a prematch article for a matchday thread on our forum, I would appreciate it if you could spare a few moments of your time to answer a couple of questions please.

I will post a link to the thread on Toffeetalk once its up and running, and thanks again in advance for any replies.

I had most of this sorted before the takeover news broke so after reading the forum i dont have to ask what you think about it, so i wont mention it.:smile:

Thanks to Mods and Admin for allowing me to post it. Here we go

Thanks again.

Bill.

1. Hodgson would not even have been considered if there was stability and normality at our club. He was chosen by non football men playing championship manager and so far he has not had the desired effect. Personally, I would have kept Rafa as he is one of the best European Managers around and with some funding I think he could have got things right in the league especially looking at the post Madrid run the season before last. Now we need a top manager who knows what being at a big club is all about - bullish, confident, capable of creating a siege mentality when required and none of the defeatist attitude Hodgson displays.

2. Torres is injured and has little support. Fit and on form he is one of the best in the world.

3. I would take Arteta and Cahill and you can have Jovanovic and Lucas.

4. Groundshare should never ever happen and I would be devastated if it did. I really can't see a new stadium with these owners but am more than happy to extend Anfield as Liverpool can make enough money globally and not have to rely on matchday revenue as much as others. It sounds awful but what I am saying is lets keep the tradition and keep as loyal as possible to the Liverpool football club we know over here and chase the buck elsewhere. I hate myself for writing that as it's not football and fair on all fans but I suppose we have to have a commercial/corporate mindset in the modern game.

5. We should finish no lower than sixth. No team has run away with fourth yet either. However, I think if Hodgson stays we will be mid table and you will finish above us.

6. If we had not been taken over I would say Everton to win comfortably through set pieces and crosses into the box. However, whenever announcements like this happen the feelgood factor tends to kicks in so by this - probably deluded - reasoning, I say us to nick it with Gerrard doing the damage. Finally, I will be amazed if Cahill doesn't score a header!

- I thought he was the right man at the time and under the circumstances, a manager that had a reputation of doing more with less. So far we've been absolute shite, both performance and result wise. I don't think he is the man forward, and given the latest development at the top floor we should start looking for a better qualified manager asap. Nothing against Roy personally, he seems a decent man. But since he was always going to be a stop gap solution until the ownership situation was resolved anyway, I'd have him gone sooner rather than later, and start with a clean slate

- Unbalanced side totally out of form, unable to give him any kind of service is the main thing, along with injuries. He's had some absolute stinkers ever since he came here, that's nothing new. If we qualify for CL, he'll stay beyond this season. If not, I think he'll leave.

- Arteta and Rodwell for Lucas and Poulsen. Always been a big fan of the former. He's Xabi's friend innit...:whistle:

- Groundshare? Fuck off.

- With new owners possibly 4-5th. Without it somwhere in the bottim half.

- 1-2

l.

I'd have preferred Rafa to stay, but once he left, Hodgson was low on my list. Under new owners, I'm sure Roy will at least guide us to safety; but if H&G cling on, and keep Roy, I genuinely fear the drop is not out of the question.

2 .... Can you put forward any reasons why Torres seems to have gone from a top class striker to a very average one. Is he playing to get a transfer, or is he still struggling with a bit of a niggling injury. ?

Hodgson is not used to a player of his class and isn't deploying him correctly; he's had the hump for months and hasn't had a break in 3 years; his teammates can't give him service; he isn't fit. Don't think he's playing for a transfer, and I think he loves the club enough to want to stay on and see how things pan out with the owners gone.

I'd take more than two! Arteta/Jagielka/Rodwell/Baines in, Babel/Skrtel/Poulsen/Konchesky out, we would be massively stronger for that! 1st 2 choices Jags and Rodwell for Skrtel and Poulsen.

Both sets of fans deserve better than sharing; redevelop Anfield.

10th with the new owners and Roy; as high as 4th with new owners and the right manager

2-2 draw with you giving us a footballing lesson but our new found spirit from the promising ownership news helps us nick a draw

Edited by castle_red
didnt finish

1. He's a mediocre manager at best, his away record in this country is disgraceful, his signings shocking, and of course he's in his 60s with negative methods used throughout his whole career, I honestly cant see how he'll suddenly turn that around and be any use to us. I wanted a change, someone with a great CV or a good young manager needing a chance. We ended up with neither and I wish Rafa hadnt gone now I've seen the alternative.

2. The injuries and the situation of the club dont help but it was exactly the same under the last manager yet he still managed to have an astonishing goal ratio. Here I blame the manager, his tactics are diabolical and he hasnt a clue how to use him.

3. Baines for the simply dreadful Paul Konchesky and Arteta for Babel. We'll even throw in Christian Poulsen for free.

4. Until we're definitely rid of these two nothing will happen regarding a new ground. Hopefully we can move that forward under new owners. I despise the thought of a groundshare.

5. This manager could get us relegated, he's that bad, but obviously if we were still down there by December time he'd get the sack and we'd be ok. I think we'll finish about 9th, 10th under a new manager who rectify's Hodgson's damage.

6. This was the most nailed on home win in the history of every derby ever played. Hopefully we'll be under new owners by the time it comes around which will send a massive morale boost through the camp but still, Roy's poor tactics will still be here but the confidence boost will see us get a draw.

Didn't want him in the 1st place, but he deserves our support. Rafa had to go, at the moment the situation we are in is akin to having sacked someone who was doing a bad job, only for the new guy to be just as bad.

He needs time. Not sure if he'll get it though.

I'd like to think it's the injuries, if it is then he's fucked as a player as far as i'm concerned. If it's in the head, then he needs taking out of the 1st team and lobbed in the reserves, the lad is clearly messed up.

Jagielka for Agger, mainly because Agger is overrated to fuck

Piennar for...Take your pick

No groundshare. Never ever ever

7th

1-0 Liverpool

It was time for Rafa to go but Hodgson was not one of my favourite choices. In fact, I didn't want him at all and the results seem to be proving that. He's a decent fella which makes it a shame to see him being slagged off by some idiots.

Still struggling with his injury and not being given the support he needs with the formation. He's also turned a bit whiny but who can blame him.

Err... Arteta and Cahill I suppose. You can have Lucas and Poulsen in exchange.

Not hearing anything was because of Hicks and Gillett. With new owners in, we're hoping for plans for an expansion of the area around Anfield itself. I know a lot of people would prefer that. Groundshare is out of the question. I mean I keep hearing reds saying it's a no go but surely many Evertonians feel the same way?

There's just too many external factors affecting this. New owners are supposedly in. No one is sure exactly when they will take control and what this means for Roy's tenure and the position of many players. But if we take away all that and I simply look at how the team is doing currently... I'd definitely say we have no hope in finishing in the top half of the table at this rate.

You will bum us like we've never been bummed before. If you look at the performance of both teams this season, we've deserved everything we've gotten where as you've been playing much better than the results show. I'll expect to see DVDs flying off the shelves come Monday.

1.The manager now is clueless how to use our attacking players, and he cant fix our back problems so we really need a new manager ASAP

2. Again watch #1

3. Pienaar for Babel - Arteta for Poulsen

4. Anfield will be remodeled

5. liverpool will land on a "honourable" 8 place

6. Everton will win 2-0

I don't think he will. His willingness to appear to accept or excuse mediocrity will never win him much breathing room around here (or even up in Liverpool...:whistle:). I loved Rafa and always will for his legacy. But my anger at him on so many occasions last season made me fairly ambivalent towards whether he stayed or went. I admit I very nearly joined Montse is shedding a tear or two when they waved goodbye at the last home game.

He clearly feels that the focus on correcting our defensive issues is bad for him and he's not happy. He's still a great striker but until we start getting up and around him and creating chances he'll struggle as any striker would.

Rodwell and Arteta, for Poulsen and Babel. I'd do anything for you to NOT give us Cahill, massive bell. Yes it will hurt when he scores against us.

Who knows, depends on the plans, sounds like redevelopment is the preferred option though. Either way here's hoping they act fast, the whole area needs the redevelopment to step up.

Not a single, solitary clue. 1st?

I think you'll win, stick Cahill on Glen's shoulders and we're fucked.

Thanks again.

Bill

No more please lads theres already more than i can use, but i thank you very much for such a brilliant response. Thanks to all those who replied and i'm sorry that i couldn't use everybody's.

I have only just just put the thread up tonight so there wont be any replies yet, but you can keep up with it here.

Thanks again for allowing me to post.

Cheers

Bill.

PS .. aargh it wont let me post the link. If you just put toffeetalk in your browser it will take you there, just look for the "Speaking to the Enemy" topic.