You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How do you like your Steak cooked?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like your Steak cooked?

Topical thread as I am heading to town on Saturday for a birthday drink with all the lads and we are breaking the day up with a trip to Meet. Fillet steak for me which I will order as medium as it's a proper steak house. Most places I order steak from though I will get medium well.

The finest steak I ever had was from an Argentinian steak house called Gauchos in Amsterdam, I am drooling now just thinking about the fillet steak from there. They also have a restaurant in Manchester and several in London if anyone is ever looking for a top class steak:

Gaucho - The Finest Argentine Steaks - Restaurants in London and Manchester

Which steak do you guys usually go for?

Rump

Sirloin

T-Bone

Rib Eye

Fillet

It's fillet all the way for me, the finest cut, no fat, no waste. With chips, peppercorn sauce, onion rings, mushrooms and some rocket.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Topical thread as I am heading to town on Saturday for a birthday drink with all the lads and we are breaking the day up with a trip to Meet. Fillet steak for me which I will order as medium as it's a proper steak house. Most places I order steak from though I will get medium well.

The finest steak I ever had was from an Argentinian steak house called Gauchos in Amsterdam, I am drooling now just thinking about the fillet steak from there. They also have a restaurant in Manchester and several in London if anyone is ever looking for a top class steak:

Gaucho - The Finest Argentine Steaks - Restaurants in London and Manchester

Which steak do you guys usually go for?

Rump

Sirloin

T-Bone

Rib Eye

Fillet

It's fillet all the way for me, the finest cut, no fat, no waste. With chips, peppercorn sauce, onion rings, mushrooms and some rocket.

I don't think it's the finest cut. And, for me at least, no fat is a bad thing! A nicely aged and marbled ribeye for me. Bit pink (but not red raw) in the middle, with a nice char to the outside so the fat tastes amazing.

Yum from mouth to bum.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Got to be the Rump, or if not avalible the Fillet..or Sirlion.

Pure 100& Meat, one of that Rib Eye and T-Bone nonsense.

Ribeye is 100% meat. T-Bone is just fillet attached to the short loin with a bit of bone.

Fillet doesn't have fat - in general - so doesn't have anywhere near as much flavour as other cuts.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I stand corrected.

By the way, you know you spend too much time on here when you think it says the last bit.

I actually typed that the other day. ''These conservative cunts are ideological''. Opps, I meant cuts.

Rib eye comes on the bone doesn't it?

Like this:

rib%20eye%20TBar%20copy.jpg

It is the best cunt though, you're right there Numero, I reckon.

The best steak I ever did have, and this may sound a little arsey, was in Mendoza in Argentina in a local type restaurant that we wandered into but found out later was some mega-recommended steak place. It was about 10cm thick and perfect texture. Omnomnomnomnom.

Actually just used the power of google to find it. ..: Don Mario Restaurant :.. Una tradición en Mendoza... If you watch the scrolling images you'll see a picture of the type of steak I had. Look at the thickness of that baby.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Rib eye comes on the bone doesn't it?

Well, I guess you can almost every cut on the bone if you want. Most Ribeye doesn't though. No ribeye I've ever purchased or had in restaurant has had the bone in though. If you take a look at google images, nearly every image is boneless.

Deffo the best cunt. Loads of fat, loads of flavour. I only eat a steak rarely. Looking forward to it.

Where is the option for raw? Steak Tartare is where it is at; chopped up fine with capers, onion, worcester sauce and mustard and served with an egg yolk in the middle and accompanied by a huge pile of frites or saute potatoes in this little bistro I know in the 18th arrondissement. Bliss

If it has to be cooked then rare.

Edited by L19red
spelling

Rib eye doesn't need the bone, i would certainly never buy it on the bone from a supermarket because of the extra weight as the bone is not necessary. here they use the french name for it, Entrecote (I can't do the little house on the o there). I tend to go for a pepper sauce or cafe de paris, either sauce or butter. It is also a fantastic steak for a barbecue because of the marbling of fat.

Well, I guess you can almost every cut on the bone if you want. Most Ribeye doesn't though. No ribeye I've ever purchased or had in restaurant has had the bone in though. If you take a look at google images, nearly every image is boneless.

Deffo the best cunt. Loads of fat, loads of flavour. I only eat a steak rarely. Looking forward to it.

Ah, I'm the opposite, always had it on the bone in restaurants or if purchased from the butcher.

Not exceedingly often admittedly.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Ah, I'm the opposite, always had it on the bone in restaurants or if purchased from the butcher.

Not exceedingly often admittedly.

i thought the uk banned beef on the bone (ribeye) after the mad cow scare.

Yep, that might well be it.

How do people like to cook their steaks? BBQ? Griddle?

Important things for cooking steak:

1. Room temperature meat. Two reason for this. Firstly, your meat will tighten up in the fridge. Secondly, it's harder to cook evenly.

2. Hot pan. If it's not hot enough, you'll boil it in its own juices. You want a crust to form from the hot pan or BBQ.

3. Baste that fucker with a bit of butter at the end of cooking. Get the butter a bit brown and nutty - it adds flavour.

Reasonably done on the outside, pink in the middle with plenty of blood flowing out once I make that first cut into it. I tend to just turn up the pan to maximum, blitz the fuck out of it for 30 seconds to a minute either side, then turn it right down, maybe for another minute or so, then serve.

Any steak that is either brown all the way through or has a complete absence of blood is not worthy of the name.

As a one time butcher and a more than keen amateur chef I feel inclined to educate on a few points, which most of you have covered anyway:

Cooking steak:

1. Defo leave at room temperature before cooking

2. Get pan as hot as possible, i.e. a good 5-10 mins on high heat before using

3. Put oil in pan last minute, then throw a decent slab of butter in the pan for basting when the steak goes in

4. Steak should be cooked once on either side, and no fiddling about/moving it when its in there

5. Cooked steak should be rested; 5 mins in an oven on lowest setting, or have oven on 10 mins before you cook steak and switch it off when you put it in to rest

Flavours and cooking:

Quality of steaks from lean to fattest: Fillet, Sirloin, Ribeye, Rump

Remember, FAT is what makes things taste nice

As a rule, fillet should be done as rare as possible with plenty of butter basting as it doesnt have much natural flavour.

Ribeye (my personal fave) is worth cooking a bit more to render the fat.

Equally, Rump cooked perfectly is probably the most tastiest cut of steak going.

Steak snobs need educating on this. Had many an argument with the mother in law who cremates her steaks beyond belief. She's too snobby to buy rump steak because its cheap so she buys fillet and ruins it. Tastes like liver-y shoe leather. (And when me and the wife go for dinner and she does steak she won't cook ours rare because she doesn't like seeing blood)

If you like Steak well done, buy a cheaper cut, simple as.

Blood/Colour:

No matter how rare you like the steak, if it is rested properly the juices will absorb back into the meat. For anyone who is squeamish about seeing rare meat because of the 'blood' then the fact is the meat isn't getting 'cooked' properly.

And for that reason, I would recommend anyone who is put off by the last matter to try for once a lesser cooked, properly cooked steak because it is so, so worth it.

Also, best way to serve steak is simply seasoned well on a plate with a bit of watercress, parmesan shavings, Asparagus and a decent vinaigrette. I generally don't do sauces anymore because they can overpower the flavour of a decent bit of meat

Lesson over (I'm fucking starving now).

P.S. If you live in/near Liverpool, the best steak I've had in this country for a long, long while was in what used to be the Wiggin Tree up Parbold Hill (it's a fancy steak house grill now). Well worth a drive/evening out

The highlight as a kid there was the ice cream sundaes. Do they still do the fun desserts?

As a one time butcher and a more than keen amateur chef I feel inclined to educate on a few points, which most of you have covered anyway:

Cooking steak:

1. Defo leave at room temperature before cooking

2. Get pan as hot as possible, i.e. a good 5-10 mins on high heat before using

3. Put oil in pan last minute, then throw a decent slab of butter in the pan for basting when the steak goes in4. Steak should be cooked once on either side, and no fiddling about/moving it when its in there

5. Cooked steak should be rested; 5 mins in an oven on lowest setting, or have oven on 10 mins before you cook steak and switch it off when you put it in to rest

Flavours and cooking:

Quality of steaks from lean to fattest: Fillet, Sirloin, Ribeye, Rump

Remember, FAT is what makes things taste nice

As a rule, fillet should be done as rare as possible with plenty of butter basting as it doesnt have much natural flavour.

Ribeye (my personal fave) is worth cooking a bit more to render the fat.

Equally, Rump cooked perfectly is probably the most tastiest cut of steak going.

Steak snobs need educating on this. Had many an argument with the mother in law who cremates her steaks beyond belief. She's too snobby to buy rump steak because its cheap so she buys fillet and ruins it. Tastes like liver-y shoe leather. (And when me and the wife go for dinner and she does steak she won't cook ours rare because she doesn't like seeing blood)

If you like Steak well done, buy a cheaper cut, simple as.

Blood/Colour:

No matter how rare you like the steak, if it is rested properly the juices will absorb back into the meat. For anyone who is squeamish about seeing rare meat because of the 'blood' then the fact is the meat isn't getting 'cooked' properly.

And for that reason, I would recommend anyone who is put off by the last matter to try for once a lesser cooked, properly cooked steak because it is so, so worth it.

Also, best way to serve steak is simply seasoned well on a plate with a bit of watercress, parmesan shavings, Asparagus and a decent vinaigrette. I generally don't do sauces anymore because they can overpower the flavour of a decent bit of meat

Lesson over (I'm fucking starving now).

Rare for me and rib-eye or T-bone, properly rested.

Tou should also oil the steak not the pan and use a good quality griddle pan.

Only put the butter in just before the end, you want a nice beurre noisette but the pan should be so hot it would burn the butter if you put it in too early.