You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Europa Semi; Atletico Madrid Away

Monster Masch

Is that what you'd call it? Walking around the pitch looking half arsed? Not helping out in defence either. When was the last time he tackled someone?

Was there one moment in that game where you thought he looked any better than anyone else on the pitch?

I cant believe you're peddling this shit, benitez out!

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An away goal would've really helped there. Aguero is back for the next leg and can anyone really see us having a good chance of keeping a clean sheet? What a mess that turned out to be, fucking amazing save from Pepe though.

I don't think Gerrard looked too bothered either at times, but he's been like that for a while now.

Same old story.

The level of football is at the standard of Stoke. We are forced to hoof it and play it back for one reason and that is because our centre midfielders don't go looking for the ball. I am not saying they are shite but they must be instructed to just simply keep it 100% tight. There was so many times tonight and through the season were a winger has the ball and their is no option from the two midfierders so they are forced to play it back and again for the centre halfs, no central midfield option and the ball is played long.

It is so simple to get this right and that is why we were so good at keeping the ball and 'controlling' the game when we had Xabi as he always gave an option to the player with the ball.

I know it has been said but that is one of the main differences between this season and last. It has to be addressed in the summer.

100% correct. People can harp on about Lucas and his strengths and weaknesses all night long but it doesn't change the fact we need someone who can do what Xabi did or we will get fucking nowhere next season too.

Either that or change the system. Simple as!

Guest Pistonbroke

Not the worst performance and the game was there to be had imo. We were just lethargic and lacked any urgency or creativity. When we play two holding midfielders it's just hoof ball over the midfield for runners most of the time. Kudos to Pepe for those two saves, especially the one from Simao. Can't understand why Aqualini wasn't used after all the travelling. He must be shit in training or Benitez is trying to save us having to pay add ons and not playing him. Either way it's wank. Think we'll have too much for these at Anfield. But will we have enough to score the goals we need ?

Utter mind numbing shite yet again.

Atletico are fucking crap and should of been put to the sword but yet again we were so pedestrian. slow passing in possession, poor movement and no incision up front. it`s so infuriating.

When Torres is missing it`s got to be a dedicated front two because the drop off in quality to Ngog is a gaping chasm. It`s not fair on the lad.

I`ve no doubt that we can turn this around but to lose to this team and without an away goal is a poor show. Lille and especially Benfica are better than Atletico. They looked like what they are; a mid table team.

I can`t remember us having a shot on target. Not good enough but then that`s been the story of the season.

Im not going to go on about how shite we were tonight as its been well and truly covered but likewise i thought Madrid were poor and a good team would have won at a canter against them.

It worrys me we have no gameplan, no idea what to do when we recieve the ball and no movement at all in every area of the pitch.

We are playing and have been all season like a team that needs fresh ideas as well as some serious spending on it.

Did Kuyt learn to play football with a football or a hot potato, is there are player with less technique at a top level club.

Does Lucas get paid 50k a week to make a few tackles and just pass the ball sideways.

Does Rafa get a few million a year to continually pick a negative team thay never ever looks like scoring away from home.

0 CORNERS AND 0 SHOTS ON TARGET - that will take some beating.

Why does Aqualani even bother turning up to training, subbed against Fulham with Babel when they were our best players.

Is there a team that play as awful football as liverpool in the league, i would honestly rather watch Pompey at least they play with some pace and adventure.

MORAL OF STORY - FUCK OF TO JUVE RAFA!

Edited by darnells

The thing is, despite how poor we were tonight. I'd still fancy us to do them at Anfield.

But that's not good enough. It's not when it's the same approach taken in away league games anyways. You can get away with going away in Europe and being happy with a draw. We play like that even in league games though. There's no real reason that we can;t go away to Atletico and play in the same manner we plan on playing them at home. Home or away, it's eleven vs eleven, on a pitch, with a round ball.

just looking down our fixtures for the whole season, have we played well away all season? our best away results were Everton when we were poor and lucky and Villa when we were OK/poor and lucky

maybe Lyon & West Ham away which were OK? and thats it

Guest Pistonbroke
The thing is, despite how poor we were tonight. I'd still fancy us to do them at Anfield.

But that's not good enough. It's not when it's the same approach taken in away league games anyways. You can get away with going away in Europe and being happy with a draw. We play like that even in league games though.

I agree and said as much in my post above. But what worries me is where the goals are going to come from ? Athletico Madrid may be a weak side but they defend a lot better than the likes of West Ham. You can guarantee they'll just park the bus and use pace on the break.

Im not going to go on about how shite we were tonight as its been well and truly covered but likewise i thought Madrid were poor and a good team would have won at a canter against them.

It worrys me we have no gameplan, no idea what to do when we recieve the ball and no movement at all in every area of the pitch.

We are playing and have been all season like a team that needs fresh ideas as well as some serious spending on it.

Aye Coop. Not only have we no plan B, but we now also seem have no plan A.

Aye Coop. Not only have we no plan B' date=' but we now also seem have no plan A.[/quote']

Best post of the night, the truth fucking hurts

Plan Ab works on the basis of keeping it tight and nicking a goal fuck knows what plan Ac is when you have to chase the game

I agree and said as much in my post above. But what worries me is where the goals are going to come from ? Athletico Madrid may be a weak side but they defend a lot better than the likes of West Ham. You can guarantee they'll just park the bus and use pace on the break.

I think if we go out and play in the right way, and get at them from the first minute, keep the tempo up, we have the players to put the ball in the net. Gerrard and Kuyt for instance....if we create the chances.

The problem we really have, is our mentality away from home where the sum of our game plan is to capitalise of mistakes, or hope for moments of individual brilliance. Different story at Anfield where the players will suddenly decide they are brave enough to play the way they should have away from home.

Aye Coop. Not only have we no plan B' date=' but we now also seem have no plan A.[/quote']

Its the same every game to be fair Mick.

The defence pass it along the line before it arrives at the feet of one of the midfielders.

He will then glance forward and see fuck all movement on the wings so therefore passes back to the defender who will just hoof it forward to the striker in the hope he can flick it on.

Most of the time it just drifts back to the keeper.

We used to take the piss out of Bolton and teams like that but i don't think i have ever seen a top flight team so void of ideas other then kicking long in the hope something comes of it.

The defence pass it along the line before it arrives at the feet of one of the midfielders.

He will then glance forward and see fuck all movement on the wings so therefore passes back to the defender who will just hoof it forward to the striker in the hope he can flick it on.

We used to take the piss out of Bolton and teams like that but i don't think i have ever seen a top flight team so void of ideas other then kicking long in the hope something comes of it.

Agreed.

People will probably have a go at Ngog tonight, but the distribution he got was awful, just long hoofs - which even Torres would have struggled to do anything with.

I cant believe you're peddling this shit, benitez out!

Peddling what shit? Surely what's good enough for Rafa, who i want gone too, is good enough for Gerrard? Because as poor a job as Rafa has done this season, he's far from alone in his shitness that's for sure. Gerrard is supposed to be a World Class player FFS!! Yet he's been missing for most of the season.

Agreed.

People will probably have a go at Ngog tonight, but the distribution he got was awful, just long hoofs - which even Torres would have struggled to do anything with.

Yeah but to be fair, when you have Torres in your team he will chase after the ball and he will give you an outlet. N'gog doesnt give you that. He's just not up to standard.

It actually hurts. Like deep down, it is painful. Since Xabi left, there is just no exit for a winger or defender when they have the ball. They just play it back or simply just play an aimless ball long. We desperately miss somebody from the middle of the park to come and collect the ball, then pass and move.

Control if you like. Like Lampard, Fabregas, Scholes, Carrick, Barry, Huddlestone, Milner, Arteta do.

That is how simple football can be but we are just not setup for it.

Agreed.

I don't think N'Gog is anywhere near good enough to lead the line for a club the size of Liverpool and he is frustrating to watch as many times he runs up blind alleys or holds onto the ball too long.

The problem is though he is a young kid more often then not coming up against two experienced defenders who exactly what to do.

In all fairness tonight i would have started with Babel instead of N'Gog but he hardly set the game alight when he came on.

Guest Pistonbroke
I think if we go out and play in the right way, and get at them from the first minute, keep the tempo up, we have the players to put the ball in the net. Gerrard and Kuyt for instance....if we create the chances.

The problem we really have, is our mentality away from home where the sum of our game plan is to capitalise of mistakes, or hope for moments of individual brilliance. Different story at Anfield where the players will suddenly decide they are brave enough to play the way they should have away from home.

Our away form this season has been abysmal. It's like the players are void of any idea what to do when we go behind apart from to follow plan A which seems to be over cautious to say the least. The players are not without blame as it seems only a few have the balls to use their own initiative. But the tactics are down to the manager and it's both frustrating to watch and wank. Can't imagine what some of the players must be thinking when they see the same old tried and unsuccessful tactics whilst playing away from home. We only need an off day at home and we can also struggle. Just hope we create enough chances in the second leg and they fall to the right players.