You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sky Sports | Football | News | Murphy - Rafa should go

The experienced midfielder, who is now on the books of Fulham, believes the time has come for sweeping changes to be made at Anfield if they are to set out on the road to recovery.

The 32-year-old playmaker is of the opinion that in order for progress to be made, Benitez needs to be shown the door and a new manager brought in to help steady the ship.

With pressure mounting on the Spaniard with each passing game, it may only be a matter of time before Murphy's beliefs are shared by the Liverpool board.

A disastrous 2009/10 has underlined just how far away the club are from being regular contenders for major trophies, and much of the blame for their ongoing failings has been laid at Benitez's door.

"If you ask me has the time for Liverpool come to look for a new manager then I have to say 'yes'," Murphy told the News of the World.

"That is not me slating the guy because he forced me out when I didn't want to leave the club in the first place. Neither am I saying he is a bad manager. But over the last year or so the club have not moved forwards, in fact they are going backwards.

Mistakes

"I will always be a fan. I keep in touch with a lot of people close to the club and many think the time has come for a new manager. I agree providing that process doesn't cripple the club financially in terms of pay-offs."

He added: "Liverpool's problems at the moment are not just about some of the bad buys they have made for a lot of money over the last few years, but also the mistakes they've made in letting players go.

"I am not thinking of an obvious one like (Xabi) Alonso, but why on earth did Benitez sell players like Peter Crouch and Craig Bellamy when they are so reliant on Fernando Torres?

"It goes without saying the team have ended up relying too much on Torres, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher.

"Over the past two years Benitez has made too many bad decisions. History says he has won the Champions League and the FA Cup for Liverpool, although even then people can argue about the merit of those wins.

"What I do know is that after being there for this length of time the debate should no longer be about Liverpool qualifying for the Champions League or where they finish in the league but actually winning the title. And that's not going to happen again this season. So something has to change.

"People go on about how well Liverpool did last season by finishing runners up? So what? We finished second under Gerard Houllier with 80 odd points. Our team also won three big trophies in one season. So things haven't really got much better. If anything they have got worse."

I agree that Rafa should go but I don't think we are anywhere near as bad as we were in 2004. I love Murphy but some of what he says in that article is questionable IMO.

Your thoughts lads?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The experienced midfielder, who is now on the books of Fulham, believes the time has come for sweeping changes to be made at Anfield if they are to set out on the road to recovery.

The 32-year-old playmaker is of the opinion that in order for progress to be made, Benitez needs to be shown the door and a new manager brought in to help steady the ship.

With pressure mounting on the Spaniard with each passing game, it may only be a matter of time before Murphy's beliefs are shared by the Liverpool board.

A disastrous 2009/10 has underlined just how far away the club are from being regular contenders for major trophies, and much of the blame for their ongoing failings has been laid at Benitez's door.

"If you ask me has the time for Liverpool come to look for a new manager then I have to say 'yes'," Murphy told the News of the World.

"That is not me slating the guy because he forced me out when I didn't want to leave the club in the first place. Neither am I saying he is a bad manager. But over the last year or so the club have not moved forwards, in fact they are going backwards.

Mistakes

"I will always be a fan. I keep in touch with a lot of people close to the club and many think the time has come for a new manager. I agree providing that process doesn't cripple the club financially in terms of pay-offs."

He added: "Liverpool's problems at the moment are not just about some of the bad buys they have made for a lot of money over the last few years, but also the mistakes they've made in letting players go.

"I am not thinking of an obvious one like (Xabi) Alonso, but why on earth did Benitez sell players like Peter Crouch and Craig Bellamy when they are so reliant on Fernando Torres?

"It goes without saying the team have ended up relying too much on Torres, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher.

"Over the past two years Benitez has made too many bad decisions. History says he has won the Champions League and the FA Cup for Liverpool, although even then people can argue about the merit of those wins.

"What I do know is that after being there for this length of time the debate should no longer be about Liverpool qualifying for the Champions League or where they finish in the league but actually winning the title. And that's not going to happen again this season. So something has to change.

"People go on about how well Liverpool did last season by finishing runners up? So what? We finished second under Gerard Houllier with 80 odd points. Our team also won three big trophies in one season. So things haven't really got much better. If anything they have got worse."

I agree that Rafa should go but I don't think we are anywhere near as bad as we were in 2004. I love Murphy but some of what he says in that article is questionable IMO.

Your thoughts lads?

Stevie, Carra, or both?

"That is not me slating the guy because he forced me out when I didn't want to leave the club in the first place. Neither am I saying he is a bad manager.

Of course not.

Apart from that two things:

1) None of his business. Unprofessional to talk about goings on in another club.

2) NOTW, now there's a surprise.

Edit: Hell I"m slow, people cover my points faster than I can...

Stevie, Carra, or both?

That is what I was wondering too.

Murphy has only said what a lot of fans are thinking, but it is very mischievous with him currently still playing in the Premiership and when people know that he is still close to certain players at Anfield.

Maybe the people at the club he keeps in touch with could tell him that Bellamy had to be sold to find the Torres deal and Crouch was sold because he wasn't prepared to sit on the bench behind Torres, while he seems to be happy to sit on the bench at Spurs..

Ahh the old 'once upon a time he said this' dagger. Is that supposed to discredit anything that comes out of his mouth?

That's a fair point. We'll just use this interview instead to show how bitter he is.

I'll chose to believe what Didi Hamann has to say about the inner workings then Danny. Not to say I didn't like Danny when he was here. He gave everything, depsite the crowd giving him a lot of grief at times and his goals against the Mancs were great.

"That is not me slating the guy because he forced me out when I didn't want to leave the club in the first place.

Leaving aside his ignorance, how about the manager has always had to sell to buy. In that case:

Xabi Alonso or Danny Murphy?

No wonder you don't want to talk about an obvious one like Alonso, Danny.

I'm guessing bascombe did this piece? Murphy may have spoke to him as he feels comfortable talking to him from his time here and bascombe at the echo.

I see this as serious, murphy is mates of both gerrard and carra. I don't think he'd make such deliberate quotes without someone from lfc encouraging it.

I hope to god he hasn't been put up to this by Jamie and Steven, I really do.

I very much doubt it. Stevie and Jamie know that you dont drag this club through the dirt and wash the dirty laundry in public. It would be a total shithouse of a thing to do - so no, I don't see that happening.

Anyway. Apparantly Didi Hamann said that Stevie and Carra are right behind Rafa in this, and I would believe Didi.

Wasn't Danny Stevie's best man at his wedding?

I'd guess they're still good friends.

No. He wasn't. They are mates though. But Danny is allowed his opinion. It's coming from an angry place and he hasn't really thought much into it such as his comments about Crouch and Bellamy, but, as we know, plenty of Liverpool fans just don't have a clue what is going on. It's why I think forums, no matter how bad they can be, are doing a great job in spreading the word.