You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Woo

Tom off here? He's caused a right fucking rumpus in twitter land... He's committed the sin of criticising Jack Monroes roast spuds, now he's got half the Internet on him... She's deleted her account, saying they were cooked by her disabled mother.

To Tom's credit he's batting away the hysterical loons like Mike Brearley. 

Thread, escalates quickly. 

Even trending now. They're fucking mad. Tom's the sane one amongst them.

• Upvote 1

There's a lot more to this. I think it's just the straw that broke the camel's back after Monroe was caught out not being entirely truthful about her situation, with subscribers to her Patreon etc queuing up to ask why they haven't been getting the things they've paid for (and asking why she's claiming to be in poverty when she must be raking in a small fortune from them alone), a Duncan Oldham style thing with a book that took forever to materialise etc. It's a shame that she's been exposed as a grifter, for a long time I thought she was the real deal.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Strontium said:

There's a lot more to this. I think it's just the straw that broke the camel's back after Monroe was caught out not being entirely truthful about her situation, with subscribers to her Patreon etc queuing up to ask why they haven't been getting the things they've paid for (and asking why she's claiming to be in poverty when she must be raking in a small fortune from them alone), a Duncan Oldham style thing with a book that took forever to materialise etc. It's a shame that she's been exposed as a grifter, for a long time I thought she was the real deal.

Yeah I think you may be right there Stronts and I agree with your last remark, I also thought she was sound.

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

They're hammering Tom. Bad potatoes review.

Look at this thread. Pitchforks.

Mad thread that.. and here's the roasts that's caused all the trouble,

Jack Monroe posted a picture of some spuds.

Someone exercised his right to comment on that.

Some other people exercised their right to comment on his post. 

I think the one collating all those comments into a thread is the only crank here.

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I think the one collating all those comments into a thread is the only crank here.

Really? Madness. 

2 hours ago, Strontium said:

Has this really happened?

She's always had twats & Tories on her case and accusing her of shit; is there any evidence of any grifting?

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Who the fuck is Jack Monroe? And why is she letting her disabled mother cook her tea and not offering to do it herself? 

Don’t worry, her mum won’t be disabled by tomorrow.  

(She’s the one who Katie Hopkins libelled and effectively ruined her)

25 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Nah. Some of those comments are batshit insane. My particular favourite being the daft bint who called him ‘unspeakably horrible’ for saying he didn’t like somebody’s roasties.

The comments are way over the top. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

She's an anti-poverty campaigner who has long been a troll magnet.

Some of the stuff she’s posted recently, particularly about the energy crisis has been wrong and very poor advice.  She’s also posted recipe guides that would have led to malnutrition.  

Like so many I think she started with great intentions and no desire to be famous but once the money started coming in her heads been turned.  Sad as she did over Hopkins. 

24 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Nah. Some of those comments are batshit insane. My particular favourite being the daft bint who called him ‘unspeakably horrible’ for saying he didn’t like somebody’s roasties.

The comments are way over the top. 

Some comments seem over the top (if you can imagine such a thing on Twitter) but this isn't some sort of organised pile-on and nobody is really going to town on him; I don't think anyone responded to his one comment with more than one comment.

14 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Rico and Stronts are right. It's a shame but there we go.

It's surreal that they've been gunning for her for ages yet a Liverpool fan who hadn't heard of her seems to have brought her down by innocently disliking the look of her mother's roast potatoes. 

That was my next question; does anyone know why she's deleted her Twitter account?