You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There are reasonably priced places to stay and eat in the centre - you don't need to stay outside the city.

That being said, there are a lot of tourist traps and as such the quality of food can vary. The Rough guide to Venice is worth buying.

Avoid the summer if you can because it gets swamped with tourists. The best time is around Easter or if you fancy something different then head there for the Carnevale in February.

Great place mate. Was there a few years back. In my opinion you should try to find somewhere to stay in the city itself. One of my fondest memories of the place was walking around the city at night, no day trippers meant the town was practically empty, the only noise being the water in the canals. Worth paying the extra to stay in the city in my opinion.

We stayed in Hotel Columbina which has views of the bridge of sigs, so is very close to the Plaza San Marco.

Very romantic if thats what your looking for.

Whats the point in going to Venice if you stay outside the city?

You have to stay in the city and experience the joy of no cars, buses etc etc and travel everywhere on foot or some form of boat.

we stayed here Venice Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo Venice Italy - Official Site

and it was top class. Check the trip advisor rating. Its right up there.

If you email them direct you should get a great price. We got a luxury room for something ridiculous like €90 a night .

I thought it was priced similar to most european cities and The only expensive part is the traditional gondola ride. You will be ripped off and you cant do anything about it. Loads of quality little restaurants and cafes hidden away down sidestreets and alleyways. Its a great place. 3 days is enough though.

Venice fucking rules. Stay in the Dorsuduro district. It's a short and very pleasant walk to the centre of town but is near the uni area so a little cheaper than around the San Marco area. If you like wine, pasta, fish, great walks, fantastic little cafes and no fucking cars, you're onto a winner with Venice. Been twice in the last year. Stayed in a great family run three star hotel. Loads of character and really friendly staff. I'll dig out the name of it tomorrow if I get a sec. Bloody hot in mid summer, more bearable around October. San Marco is the pricey bit of town that gives the place it's rip-off rep. That said if you rock up to a wine bar in any major city that is sandwiched between a Gucci and Armani shop, you're not going to get much ale for your pesos.

Loads to see and do, but get your missus if you can out to a little island called Murano. It's world famous for it's glassware and she can spend a good half-day walking up and down the main street whilst you sit by the canal supping a fine red and accruing enough brownie points for a shot up her pooshute when you get back to the hotel. Get taxiboat DM (Diretto Murano) from the top end of the Grand Canal.

Go. Don`t hesitate, just go. It`s brilliant at this time of year. Try the Hotel Boscolo Bellini - fabulous rooms with huge beds and quality furnishings and bathrooms - 600 Euros for 4 nights (I was looking alst night). Make sure you go on the "Secret Doge`s palace" tour which takes you behind the scenes. Use the waterbuses to get around but avoid the Nr 1 which runs the whole length of the grand canal but stops absolutely everywhere and takes forever. And treat yourself to a water taxi to get back to the airport.

Go and book the 5 star Hilton for less than £100 a night.

Hotwire.com

Its ALWAYS the hilton they use. I just checked for 3 nights and its $150 a night. Hilton Molino Stuckey google it.

I took my girlfriend there on our first overseas holiday together. 2 nights in Venice then 5 nights in Florence.

But it can be as dear as fuck. A burger and a coke in Hard rock cafe was 50 euro for 2 of us.

Check out the forums on tripadvisor for the affordable places to eat. They do exist. You can get a unlimited water bus pass for about £20 a day each. They are the best way of getting around.

Gondalas are 80 euro for 40 mins. Up to you but thats too much for me.

Go for it.