You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Froch, Kessler, Abrahams, Dirrell, Taylor, Ward

JMARKH

Who will win the super six and why? I'm going for Kessler on the basis I have only seen him and Froch fight and Froch always seems like he will one day get sparked by a quality opponent. I've heard Abrahams could be dangerous but never seen him in action. Great that Boxing is doing this though, extra points for knockouts, it could breed much needed life into the sport.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who will win the super six and why? I'm going for Kessler on the basis I have only seen him and Froch fight and Froch always seems like he will one day get sparked by a quality opponent. I've heard Abrahams could be dangerous but never seen him in action. Great that Boxing is doing this though, extra points for knockouts, it could breed much needed life into the sport.

Just reading Barry McGuigan's take on it in the Daily Mirror & he is going for Kessler also.

My only negative on Kessler is that I thought he was tough in the Calzaghe fight but I also thought he was quite disappointing ( admittedly Joe was excellent ).

Can't see Froch winning it , as I think he is exciting but relatively limited.

Abraham has I believe been a middleweight his whole career, so may be a bit .

small

Taylor may be interesting ( might look at his odds ) as although he got knocked out by Froch, he had outboxed him completely over the previous 11 rounds.

Don't know much about the other 2 but Direll seems well thought of across the pond.

Agree that it is an interesting and exciting idea.

I haven't seen Dirrell and Ward fight but Ward is being really tipped up for an upset against Kessler and then go onto to win it, i think he won Olympic gold in Sydney.

Taylor just can't do 12 rounds anymore, his stamina has left him down in so many of his big recent fights, he has all the skills but fades badly in the latter rounds.

Froch hits hard and has excellent stamina and could surprise a few but lacks the pure boxing skill to beat the likes of Kessler.

Arbraham could be another winner of this if he can handle the step up, they said even Pavilk ducked him at middleweight so if his power carries he can certainlty win this.

My pick is Kessler as he has the technique and power, the only problem could be the long layoff he's had.

Going to be a great tournament this, they'd better show all the fights though.

We're going to have to pay for this, surprise surprise!

A new channel has been anounced called Primetime and its going to be £15 to watch next weeks fights in England and its on Sky chanel 480, think they're launching it tomorrow.

Don't know if NTL are getting this channel so we'll have to wait and see.

Here's the website....Primetime

I think it'll go to one of the Europeans personally, and Kessler seems to be everyone's favourite at the moment.

He did have an injury when he fought Calzaghe but whether or not it made any difference to the final outcome I think he came closer than anyone.

I've seen Abraham from ringside (awesome experience getting blood on the notepad!) and he is very good and very quick. He is a slow starter though, always has been, and this is super middleweight.

I've not seen too much of Froch but he's followed up his trash talk with wins and you can't knock that. I believe his fight against Kessler in March will be a really big one because he does seem quite open.

Don't agree with Froch's comments here, Benn would have knocked him clean out if he displayed the same defence he did against Jermaine Taylor.

CARL FROCH wishes he had been born 20 years earlier because it would have meant beatings for ring legends Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns and Sugar Ray Leonard.

You might think the WBC super-middleweight champion has taken too many shots with such wild boasts, but the outspoken boxer isn't around to win popularity contests.

Froch, 32, said: "Top fighters at top level can fight each other 10 times and it isn't going to be 10-0 to one man. I would have been in the mix with Hagler, Hearns and Leonard. Hagler was a fighter and a brawler and I can do that, but I can also box, use my range and boxing skills.

"I'd have not quite done a Sugar Ray Leonard on him but done half a Leonard and half a Hearns. It would have been a mixture of the two.

"I have a better chin than Hearns and I have got some of Leonard's skills. Domestically, Chris Eubank was skilful but crude. Nigel Benn was just a brawler, Steve Collins was just a tough brawler. I don't consider them to have been that hot and I could have beaten all three.

"I would have been a massive superstar in that era."

Nottingham's Froch, unbeaten in all 25 fights, believes he will finally get recognition if he wins the £30million Super Six World Boxing Classic.

He must win five fights inside the next 18 months against rivals including Mikkel Kessler and Arthur Abraham to be crowned king.

The Cobra's first fight in the event to discover the world's top 12-stoner is against the American Andre Dirrell at the Trent FM Arena in Nottingham on Saturday. That's followed by Kessler in Copenhagen next March, and Abraham in Britain. The other contestants are Jermain Taylor and Andre Ward.

Each boxer will have three bouts against different opponents in the group stage. A win will be worth two points with one point bonus for a KO or stoppage. A draw will be worth one point.

The top four will go into the semi-finals, where the points leader will box the fourth-placed fighter.

Don't agree with Froch's comments here, Benn would have knocked him clean out if he displayed the same defence he did against Jermaine Taylor.

CARL FROCH wishes he had been born 20 years earlier because it would have meant beatings for ring legends Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns and Sugar Ray Leonard.

You might think the WBC super-middleweight champion has taken too many shots with such wild boasts, but the outspoken boxer isn't around to win popularity contests.

Froch, 32, said: "Top fighters at top level can fight each other 10 times and it isn't going to be 10-0 to one man. I would have been in the mix with Hagler, Hearns and Leonard. Hagler was a fighter and a brawler and I can do that, but I can also box, use my range and boxing skills.

"I'd have not quite done a Sugar Ray Leonard on him but done half a Leonard and half a Hearns. It would have been a mixture of the two.

"I have a better chin than Hearns and I have got some of Leonard's skills. Domestically, Chris Eubank was skilful but crude. Nigel Benn was just a brawler, Steve Collins was just a tough brawler. I don't consider them to have been that hot and I could have beaten all three.

Nottingham's Froch, unbeaten in all 25 fights, believes he will finally get recognition if he wins the £30million Super Six World Boxing Classic.

He must win five fights inside the next 18 months against rivals including Mikkel Kessler and Arthur Abraham to be crowned king.

The Cobra's first fight in the event to discover the world's top 12-stoner is against the American Andre Dirrell at the Trent FM Arena in Nottingham on Saturday. That's followed by Kessler in Copenhagen next March, and Abraham in Britain. The other contestants are Jermain Taylor and Andre Ward.

Each boxer will have three bouts against different opponents in the group stage. A win will be worth two points with one point bonus for a KO or stoppage. A draw will be worth one point.

The top four will go into the semi-finals, where the points leader will box the fourth-placed fighter.

Tosser!!

Warmed to Carl a bit after his last few fights & his decent analysis at recent Sky fights , but that piece is just so wrong on so many levels it's scary.

BBC SPORT | Boxing | Froch & Dirrell face-off

Not long now, think this should be a good fight if Froch's last two are anything to go by.

You shit me up there, I read that as Froch & Dirrell off

I am finally finding a few foreign chans that are showing this one. Romanian, Austrian, Turkish and Hungarian chans have it so I should stand a good chance of seeing it on my setup.

The Jermain Taylor fight is on a FTA channel (ARD) if any of you can pickup 19e

Means for those without that a feed is very likely.

I don't think the sport itseld needs "life" breathing in to it. It's the way in which it's broadcast to the world.

pay per view has fucking killed boxing completely. It's made it an elitist and niche sport.

Boxing itself wasn't better when over ten million brits sat down to watch Barry McGuigan win his first world title against Padroza back in 1985.

What was better was that ten million people got to watch it in the first place.

If boxing wants to reinvigorate itself then it quite simply needs to stop excluding most of the fucking world from enjoying it.

See?

What a load of utter shite.

I don't mind paying for the really big ones, well i do but you know what i mean. It's paying for fights like these which is a joke, its a round robin league format so they're not one offs and these boxers aren't household names unlike the Pacquaios and Mayweathers of this world.

I agree that the sport doesn't help itself at all by becoming exclusive to PPV channels, i thought by paying 30euro a month to Sly sports i would have all of these, i'm really thinking about fucking them off now.

Well put Tom, another reason to hate those shower of cunts, Sky. It's not just boxing they've taken away from the public either. I'm hoping the internet age gives people the chance to pursue watching sport for free again and makes serious inroads into cunting Sky's profits. Doubt it though unfortunately.

I don't think the sport itseld needs "life" breathing in to it. It's the way in which it's broadcast to the world.

pay per view has fucking killed boxing completely. It's made it an elitist and niche sport.

Boxing itself wasn't better when over ten million brits sat down to watch Barry McGuigan win his first world title against Padroza back in 1985.

What was better was that ten million people got to watch it in the first place.

If boxing wants to reinvigorate itself then it quite simply needs to stop excluding most of the fucking world from enjoying it.

I agree paperview is wank and it was much better when it was itv and millions could view it on a Saturday night, but I like the way this tournament has thrown the six best fighters in that weight class together. Sometimes fighters avoid the best or most dangerous opponents out there but can't in this tournament.

I don't mind paying for the really big ones, well i do but you know what i mean. It's paying for fights like these which is a joke, its a round robin league format so they're not one offs and these boxers aren't household names unlike the Pacquaios and Mayweathers of this world.

I agree that the sport doesn't help itself at all by becoming exclusive to PPV channels, i thought by paying 30euro a month to Sly sports i would have all of these, i'm really thinking about fucking them off now.

Imagine paying for the first Khan fight that was on sky, he got knocked out in a minute!! Glad I watched that on a stream, the only time I will pay is if a few mates are watching the fight as well and we all throw in, otherwise I'll just go for the streams and hope they don't freeze during fight.