You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who will win the Ashes? (Ashes 2009 discussion)

Brownie

Who will win the 2009 Ashes?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the 2009 Ashes?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna be good this, I cannot wait. It starts on telly here at the fairly hospitable time of 8pm, so the ratings should be massive as well, despite the huge changes in the Australian side (and the loss of a good few legends) since the last series in England.

While Australia have the precious little urn for the time, England have the home advantage. I was watching reviews of each of the 2005 tests last night, a good 8 hours worth and it was obvious how much Australia struggled against the swinging ball. Whether a few of the blokes from last time (Ponting, Clarke, Katich) can each have a more consistent series will be interesting, though the bowling attack of England last time was more settled and bowled brilliantly as a group.

It's unlucky for Australia that Lee has gone down on the eve of the 1st Test, as he looked extremely menacing with the ball against the Lions last week. Hopefully he will be back in time for the 2nd Test, although Australia has performed ok in the 4 Tests they have played against South Africa in the time that Lee has been out.

leeflintoff_wideweb__470x373,0.jpg

My players to watch for this series:

England- Stuart Broad, Andrew Strauss

Australia- Mitchell Johnson, Michael Hussey

All in all, it is set for a fascinating series and as a real cricket lover, I hope it is closely contested all the way through, just like last time. Only hours to go lads, good luck from Oz! ;)

The ozzies have no really good baddies this time round.

I used to love McGrath & Warne because they we brilliant players and it was easy to hate them but this time round there's no real darth vader sized baddies in their side.

Gawdilocks - I'm going to neg you quite a lot this summer

If I was the revenge negging type...

And the least you could do is get my bloody username right. Also, how can you hate Warney? The game could do with a few more like him.

Come on Rob. Was is the operative word. Mitchell Johnson has replaced Lee as the main strike bowler, hell even Hilfenhaus and Clarke are more potent weapons at present.

Clarke? That Bingle buggering brat? Seriously?

Just to be clear on this I'm not up for anyone. Im a neutral.

Heh heh, been getting negged for being an Aussie sympathiser have we?

Hopefully the rain will hold off today and we'll get a good days play in.

I really want England to bat first, let's get a good score on the board and put pressure on the Aussies. I can see whoever wins the toss fielding first though, Botham suggested that's what he'd do yesterday but I'm not a fan of teams bowling first in Tests.

This game is massive really. Our record at Lords is terrible so if we lose the first game we could be looking at going 2 down having played 2. We're better than that though, and I really hope it doesn't happen.

Any chance of a mod merging the 2 Ashes threads by the way?

Hopefully the rain will hold off today and we'll get a good days play in.

I really want England to bat first, let's get a good score on the board and put pressure on the Aussies. I can see whoever wins the toss fielding first though, Botham suggested that's what he'd do yesterday but I'm not a fan of teams bowling first in Tests.

This game is massive really. Our record at Lords is terrible so if we lose the first game we could be looking at going 2 down having played 2. We're better than that though, and I really hope it doesn't happen.

Any chance of a mod merging the 2 Ashes threads by the way?

I think England will bat 1st if they go with two spinners. Surely they'd fancy their chances bowling last on a deteriorating pitch.

I think England will bat 1st if they go with two spinners. Surely they'd fancy their chances bowling last on a deteriorating pitch.

Word is that the pitch will spin from 4th day isn't it? Still there should be a bit of swing around early. Swings and roundabouts isn't it?

If England want to win the series they should win this first test as the Aussies may be a little underdone, most of the bowlers having only played 1 warm up.

Word is that the pitch will spin from 4th day isn't it? Still there should be a bit of swing around early. Swings and roundabouts isn't it?

If England want to win the series they should win this first test as the Aussies may be a little underdone, most of the bowlers having only played 1 warm up.

I hate it when they trott out that line, and the one about moisture in the pitch! I'd like to see us have faith in our openers, they should be good enough to cope with early swing and a damp pitch.

All over it, as ever.

Wish the CUNTS would stop saying "Poms" - we'll call you "Convicts" then.

Could well be a great series, could be a damp squib but after the Lions, I'm in no mood to be scared of the southern hempishere monster in the cupboard, and nor should England.

Into them.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

I'm not even into Cricket but I doubt i'm going to shift from my seat today as I'd watch the Austalians get beat at fence painting

All over it, as ever.

Wish the CUNTS would stop saying "Poms" - we'll call you "Convicts" then.

Could well be a great series, could be a damp squib but after the Lions, I'm in no mood to be scared of the southern hempishere monster in the cupboard, and nor should England.

Into them.

Whinge, moan, repeat... It's hardwired into you lot.

Edit: Negged cos I feel like it.

... but I doubt i'm going to shift from my seat today as I'd watch the Austalians get beat at fence painting

I wish we could all just be friends*, why all the animosity?

*Only when there's a chance we might lose, I'm all for bagging people when we thrash em.