You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

No.

He is the definition of lightweight. He makes players like Arshavin, Pires and Yossi look like King Kong.

What is worse is that he does not have enough pace, maybe slightly better than Albert in that respect, but not the explosive kind of pace that we should look out for.

I am also sceptical about his ability to go past defenders AND his end product.

I would take Lennon or Downing any day over Silva. He is a decent player in La Liga, but would never make it in the premiership.

We need to look out for real class, like Ribery or Villa, if we want the team to improve significantly.

He's all about the pass and move though, he's not a "dribbler" per se.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this lightweight talk is really getting on my tits, he's playing football not rugby and it's not like small players have never made it in the premier league is it.

It's so annoying this lightweight shit, is Modric to lightweight? Robinho? They have coped ok haven't they. You don't need to be a 6 foot Adonis to succeed in the premier league.

could be that we buy him and play him and stevie behind nando with barry (poss) the chief and xabi behin them in a midfield 3, width brought by full backs?

At home this formation with the right full backs would be formidable.

This is definitely the right type of player we should be going for. He is quality and at such a young age will only get better.

What about riera and babel? Maybe babel utilised on the right or up front.

But one concern would be that we need to strengthen the right side first. Unless there is an ace up a sleeve somewhere.

I'm more wanting us to buy a dribbler who can beat a man and gets assists and goals. Silva doesn't strike me as that player. His end product is ok but his crossing is quite poor as he doesn't seem to be able to whip crosses in with pace accuracy. He'd be a better success in italy than he would in the premiership.

Wasn't impressed at all by him in the Euros, gave the ball away alot by trying to be too clever although there were moments by him that you saw a player in there. Haven't seen him this season so can't comment but i hope to fuck we don't pay anything over 15million for him.

we paid 20mil for Robbie Keane at 28, Silva won't go for anything less than 20 and if Keane is worth that much Silva is certainly worth the supposed 25mil asking price.

I'm more wanting us to buy a dribbler who can beat a man and gets assists and goals. Silva doesn't strike me as that player. His end product is ok but his crossing is quite poor as he doesn't seem to be able to whip crosses in with pace accuracy. He'd be a better success in italy than he would in the premiership.

If that is what you are looking for may I suggest the 1950's ?

None of the Arsenal forwards are what you would describe as 'dribblers' (Fabregas apart, according to Brian Horton !!!!), so long as he is intelligent, has good movement, can spot a pass and can put a chance away he will improve us.

There are no guarantees but I think he would be excellent!

If that is what you are looking for may I suggest the 1950's ?

None of the Arsenal forwards are what you would describe as 'dribblers' (Fabregas apart, according to Brian Horton !!!!), so long as he is intelligent, has good movement, can spot a pass and can put a chance away he will improve us.

There are no guarantees but I think he would be excellent!

walcott and joe cole both can and they weren't born in the 1950's.

walcott and joe cole both can and they weren't born in the 1950's.

Joe Cole was! how do you explain that haircut? He's a fucking chimney sweep for christ sake!!!!

Walcott, nah. I know what you mean but I think they are more speed merchants now, Ronaldo, Walcott, Robben etc, when you say dribbling I think more of Tom Finney!!

we paid 20mil for Robbie Keane at 28, Silva won't go for anything less than 20 and if Keane is worth that much Silva is certainly worth the supposed 25mil asking price.

and we way overpaid on Keane as well, we got fleeced there. But i agree we'll probably have to pay around 20million because of age and talent but from what i've seen i just don't think he's worth that money.

<p>

Joe Cole was! how do you explain that haircut? He's a fucking chimney sweep for christ sake!!!!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Walcott, nah. I know what you mean but I think they are more speed merchants now, Ronaldo, Walcott, Robben etc, when you say dribbling I think more of Tom Finney!!

</p>

<p> hahaha ok he does LOOK like the 1950's with that awful haircut. nah that's not true, all of them apart from walcott use skill to beat a man. But fair enough i can see where you're coming from. But those are the type of players that we need. Players that can beat a man whether it be by speed or skill as that then opens up the game a lot more for us. To me chelski team that had robben and duff was awesome. They used to be able to attack on either flank and tear teams apart. I'm not saying that we can afford to get two players like that, but at least one would make a major difference to breaking down those stubborn teams that put 11 men behind the ball.</p>

<p></p>

<p> hahaha ok he does LOOK like the 1950's with that awful haircut. nah that's not true, all of them apart from walcott use skill to beat a man. But fair enough i can see where you're coming from. But those are the type of players that we need. Players that can beat a man whether it be by speed or skill as that then opens up the game a lot more for us. To me chelski team that had robben and duff was awesome. They used to be able to attack on either flank and tear teams apart. I'm not saying that we can afford to get two players like that, but at least one would make a major difference to breaking down those stubborn teams that put 11 men behind the ball.</p>

Those are the teams that we need to beat, but sometimes this year, Stoke, Fulham, West Ham and the Shite have had absolutley no intentions of attacking us, so speed in a sense is neither here nor there, but someone who can work in tight spaces, like the spanish do would offer so much. I think Silva would be accompanied by Lennon or (rumour I know) Allan Johnson from Boro that way both bases are covered.

Those are the teams that we need to beat, but sometimes this year, Stoke, Fulham, West Ham and the Shite have had absolutley no intentions of attacking us, so speed in a sense is neither here nor there, but someone who can work in tight spaces, like the spanish do would offer so much. I think Silva would be accompanied by Lennon or (rumour I know) Allan Johnson from Boro that way both bases are covered.

Well lennon has signed a new contract so i can't see that one happening and i'm not that convinced by johnson. You see i disagree about speed merchants not being useful against that type of opposition. All it takes is for them to be able to beat a man and get away from them and then all of a sudden the opposition gets stretched as someone will then come towards the attacker leaving space for one of our players. Problem i have with getting silva is that he seems most effective in the gerrard position and there's no way we should break that partnership.