You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bob Geldof

Nick Leeson

Is he given enough credit for what he's achieved? Consider...

A man whose own career wasn't exactly ablaze with success gathering a studio full of the biggest stars of that generation, telling them what to do and co-writing a song that must have been intensely stressful and filling him with all kinds of self-doubts and fears of failure not only because the stakes were so high but because what he had to write was being judged, directly, in real-time and line-by-line by anyone who was anyone in British music at that time.

Consider the fact that had he not done it, had he not pulled it off, there'd have been no Live Aid, both here or in the U.S. Those events raised around £120 million which must be a shitload in today's money but furthermore, that some of the people who witnessed and were inspired by those events, must have gone on to become people of great power further down the line and although not everything that could have been done has been done, the amount of aid relief donated globally which has been directly or indirectly contributed because of events, feelings invoked, public pressue that all stems from Band/Live aid must have literally saved millions and millions of lives.

A total guess but it could conceivably be as many lives as those taken by Hitler's actions during the wars.

So, is Geldof given as much credit for having the tenacity to go after something and make sure it happened considering the power of people whose attention he had to gain and the masses of people he had to inspire to stop doing nothing? Or is he just a smelly greasebag who preaches a bit too much?

He's a great big scraggy haired tramp look-alike who probably stinks of piss and annoys everybody droning on and on about the same tedious subject all the time.

In short, he's a cunt.

Same tedious subject? Surely everyone would like to live in a world where it wasn't a subject at all but while it is, how can you ignore it? I don't see how people dying or living as slaves can ever be defined as tedious.

I think Midge Ure should have received more credit than he did. I have a bit of an impression that they had a 50/50 partnership which ended up becoming mostly about Geldof.

Besides that, one can't argue with what he did in the mid 80's in terms of highlighting the famine and putting that at the front of most people's minds.

I'd be interested to know how much he personally gives. On the one hand it is nobody's business but his own and his accountant's, but whenever I've heard about his wealth I've always wondered how he got so rich from a relatively modest pop career. I'm certainly not saying he siphoned off donations or anything, but he does appear to have made quite a living since the mid 1980's.

I think Midge Ure should have received more credit than he did. I have a bit of an impression that they had a 50/50 partnership which ended up becoming mostly about Geldof.

Besides that, one can't argue with what he did in the mid 80's in terms of highlighting the famine and putting that at the front of most people's minds.

I'd be interested to know how much he personally gives. On the one hand it is nobody's business but his own and his accountant's, but whenever I've heard about his wealth I've always wondered how he got so rich from a relatively modest pop career. I'm certainly not saying he siphoned off donations or anything, but he does appear to have made quite a living since the mid 1980's.

How seriously can you take somebody called Midge though?

....And then came the next phase of Bob’s amazing life. He set up a TV production company, Planet 24, which developed one of the broadcasting phenomena of the Nineties: The Big Breakfast. Fronted by zany redhead Chris Evans, Gaby Roslin and Paula Yates, the programme launched in September 1992 and was an instant hit, blowing away the cobwebs associated with other early morning programmes.

Bob later sold his £5-million-worth of shares in Planet 24, and set up myriad other business ventures, from radio companies to mobile phone ventures, to Castaway (the company which owns the Survivor TV format).

Now a millionaire businessman, Geldof still works relentlessly for the poor and collaborates with friend Bono to publicise Drop The Debt – a campaign to relieve the debts of the world's most economically challenged countries.

Ref:About Bob Geldof

Consider the fact that had he not done it, had he not pulled it off, there'd have been no Live Aid, both here or in the U.S. Those events raised around £120 million which must be a shitload in today's money but furthermore, that some of the people who witnessed and were inspired by those events, must have gone on to become people of great power further down the line and although not everything that could have been done has been done, the amount of aid relief donated globally which has been directly or indirectly contributed because of events, feelings invoked, public pressue that all stems from Band/Live aid must have literally saved millions and millions of lives.

A total guess but it could conceivably be as many lives as those taken by Hitler's actions during the wars.

Let's not get carried away. He did (a) some valuable PR for a good cause, raising a questionable amount of money in the process, and (b) some invaluable PR for a bunch of crap and / or washed-up pop stars. I don't doubt his commitment or passion for the cause, nor do I doubt his intelligence. But I am sceptical about the generation of a feel-good charity culture, when what was required was radical political and economic change. The ultimate worry is that the former prevents the latter, or at least postpones it.

The Midge Ure point is probably a fair one. It seems Geldof was a better self-publicist - and propagandist - than Ure. Which may explain, indirectly, their relative financial positions these days.

Here's an article on the Live Aid issue that's worth considering, anyway: David Rieff: Did Live Aid do more harm than good? | World news | The Guardian

Guest Dog Chaser

I don't like the bloke and i particulary hate that fucking 'i don't like Mondays' song which is absolute gash.

With regards to his work for African poverty the money seldom reaches those that need it and its usually taken by warlords, criminals etc.

Same tedious subject? Surely everyone would like to live in a world where it wasn't a subject at all but while it is, how can you ignore it? I don't see how people dying or living as slaves can ever be defined as tedious.

Gandalf The Cunts favourite subject isn't famine (and how to cure it), his favourite subject is himself and how morally superior he is.

I'm all for the collateral goodness which comes from him being a self righteous cunt, but it doesn't change the fact that he's a great big scruffy CUNT.