You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

More aggressive transfers?

macca1979

I know there are a whole host of issues to consider when trying to sign one player, let alone trying to sign several as we are this summer. But is there something to be said for just picking the two or three that you REALLY need and paying what's being asked for them, rather than haggle over 2 million here and 3 million there, and possibly ending up with players who are a good signing at a particular price?

I'm not mad keen on Barry, but if Benitez wants him that's good enough for me, so why not just sort the deal out quickly and get him in rather than offereing 10m, then 12, then 13, then 15 with add-ons? Same goes for Robbie Keane, if Rafa wants him, why not stump up with an offer very close to the asking price rather than starting the bidding off very low and slowly working up? (I know we haven't done that yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it went that way).

I know it's tough with the two knob-jockeys holding the purse strings, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few things tied up quickly so we're well prepared for the season.

Any thoughts?

Because you end up paying over the odds for the players. If it was someone who was truly world class then i would consider it but not for Gareth Barry, somewhere around the £10m-£13m is as most as I would pay for him.

Guest TK-421

My thoughts are that if you just stump up the cash straight away you pay over the odds like Chelsea. You might end up with a player who is only at the club because of the financial aspects of the deal. Say we gave in to Malouda last summer and said "yeah, we'll pay your club whatever it takes and you can have whatever your wage demands are". Apart from not really being in a position to do this, we might end up with a player who is not totally committed to the cause.

Another reason is you become known as a soft touch at the negotiating table which could impact on future purchases and also sales.

Don't most managers pay over the odds now for players though? I've argued before that until we're in a position to just sign players without too much bother over prices, we'll struggle to catch up with other top sides. I'm not saying pay over the odds for average players, but if Rafa thinks Barry is good enough to play regularly, which I would imagine he does, why not pay the extra few million and get him in now?

My thoughts are that if you just stump up the cash straight away you pay over the odds like Chelsea. You might end up with a player who is only at the club because of the financial aspects of the deal. Say we gave in to Malouda last summer and said "yeah, we'll pay your club whatever it takes and you can have whatever your wage demands are". Apart from not really being in a position to do this, we might end up with a player who is not totally committed to the cause.

Another reason is you become known as a soft touch at the negotiating table which could impact on future purchases and also sales.

I actually think that's a seperate issue and down to negotiation.

If for example, we agree a price with a Club for a player, it can often be the case that they then change the details or even the fee - we have to be stronger and get a guarantee or fuck it off altogether that the fee is the original one and not a opening stance from them to see what we will go to. The selling club has the power then...

The day we offer to pay "whatever is necessary" will mean we have become even more successful, both sporting and commercially.

Surely if you sign someone now, it is easier to get them ready for the season with Liverpool. If we wait a month, it could be September before Rafa is happy that player is fit, settled and ready to play.

To be honest though, I am a bit jumpy with transfers. I like just waking up on a sunny morning to a done deal.

I doubt the likes of Barry and Keane are going anywhere else so we've got time to haggle and sort out our sales.

I wouldn't be surprised if we've not been going deliberately slowly on Barry until we've sold Xabi.

Paying the 'asking price' is ok if the player is really worth the value put on him. Its rare that's the case especially with english players. Most sensible deals are done when 2 clubs agree to meet around half way between their respective valuations.

It seems mon and avfc now have a monk on regarding the deal and will hold out for their full value. Thing is, everyone knows barry isnt worth £15m never mind £18m so either mon is going to have to keep an unhappy player or let him go for less than he wants.

Course the other alternative is to drag the deal out such that barry misses a lot of pre season training and \ or, isnt registered in time for some CL games!

There is still a lot of transfer talk to go until August, so I expect at least 3 new transfers in by the end of the month. Not including Degen and Dossena, I expect two midfielders (winger and center) and possibly a striker to arrive soon enough.

By which time 5 players would have gone out of the door. 5 in 5 out.

Because you end up paying over the odds for the players. If it was someone who was truly world class then i would consider it but not for Gareth Barry, somewhere around the £10m-£13m is as most as I would pay for him.

I think Gareth Barry will be a good addition I dont think hes worth the amount of money thats being touted, but thinking about it logically who would have thought whiskeynose would have paid over £35 million for Hargreaves and Carrick.

I found it laughable last season and it ended up bringing them the league and CL, maybe someone like Barry who I think is a massivly under rated player could prove to be worth it in end and be the difference, fact of the matter is if his name was Barrialdo and he done a few stepovers and played in Spain alot would probably cream over him on here, 18 million is alot but he'll be quality so why not go for it and get him at the club soon as possible.

Don't personally see what peoples need is to see us sign players right now; it's going to make little difference if we sign someone today or in a months time, so we may as well use that time to try and bring the price down. Relax guy.

It will make a big difference if we signed Barry in a months time because hes been ordered not to turn up for Pre-Season training at villa.

more aggresive in transfers? i like it!!!

get our proposed target to send his agent to melwood, he walks in rafa's room - door slams, he gets a roundhouse kick to the chops and Rafa demands he signs away his players contract or else he will get Rick Parry's cock in his eye! it just might work...