You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

No One Lives - 6/10. Fairly short horror/thriller in which a gang of robbers bite off way more than they can chew. Entertaining enough if you’re in the mood for some mindless violence. Probably best watched with beer, pizza and a few friends with whom you can take the piss out of the killings.

Ronin - 8/10. De Niro is great in roles like this and Neil Macauley in Heat; the coldly clinical professional man of action. I wish he’d taken more parts like it. The car chases are great in this and bear repeat viewing. However one thing I didn’t know is that David Mamet wrote it under a pseudonym. Watching it back though with that knowledge, it does make sense. The dialogue is clipped and efficient in Mamet’s trademark style. Overall a cracking action thriller. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Elite said:

He's even better in Training Day for me.

Training Day was apparently the first film to be shot in parts of actual gangland Los Angeles, with real gangsters being on the streets during filming. Probably explains why it seemed so authentic; I guess he had to go all out OG. 

I didn't know there was a TV show based on it, starring Bill Paxton. It only lasted on series, partly due to his passing 

12 hours ago, Paul said:

Ronin - 8/10. De Niro is great in roles like this and Neil Macauley in Heat; the coldly clinical professional man of action. I wish he’d taken more parts like it. The car chases are great in this and bear repeat viewing. However one thing I didn’t know is that David Mamet wrote it under a pseudonym. Watching it back though with that knowledge, it does make sense. The dialogue is clipped and efficient in Mamet’s trademark style. Overall a cracking action thriller. 

"You talkin to me?"

TenderWildArmyworm-size_restricted.gif

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Paul said:

Ad Astra - 6/10. Looks great, but pretty dull with a plot full of holes. It was aiming for arty, intelligent SF and missed in a pretty big way. 

Went the pictures to watch this. The story I could take or leave, but it looked spectacular on the big screen, especially the last scene at Neptune it looked incredible.

Also, my favourite Pizza Express pizza is the Pollo Ad Astra. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnsusername said:

Went the pictures to watch this. The story I could take or leave, but it looked spectacular on the big screen, especially the last scene at Neptune it looked incredible.

Also, my favourite Pizza Express pizza is the Pollo Ad Astra. 

Are you Prince Andrew ?

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

Die Hard. Fucking great, Prior to that Olympus has Fallen. Not so great thus the need for Die Hard.

Great film, that. Did you know it's a sequel to a book/movie adaptation that starred Frank Sinatra? He was contractually obliged to star in any sequel but when he was offered the part, he turned it down due to the obvious dangers involved.

Frank Sinatra as John McClain in Die Hard? The mind boggles.

8 minutes ago, thegreatelephant said:

Steptoe and Son & Steptoe and Son ride again - 10/10

bit of comfort watching- old friends and always will be

Always preferred the second one.... But both are miles better than most other half hour comedies that went to film 

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Great film, that. Did you know it's a sequel to a book/movie adaptation that starred Frank Sinatra? He was contractually obliged to star in any sequel but when he was offered the part, he turned it down due to the obvious dangers involved.

Frank Sinatra as John McClain in Die Hard? The mind boggles.

Aye. I’ve heard that before. I need to find the book the film was based on.

Have you ever seen the Netflix documentary about it?

https://www.netflix.com/title/80990849?s=i&trkid=13747225&t=wha

Episode 4

Guest Pistonbroke

The Invention of Lying.

Parker.

Neither film will stay in the memory for long but they killed a few hours. Both get a 6/10. 

Love sy fy me so settled down to watch Ad Astra last night. What a fucking pile of steaming shit. Im thankful I didnt pay 15 quid or whatever it is to see a film at a cinema nowadays!

The only good bit was the baboon chewing off the astronaut's nose, fingers then blowing up due to explosive decompression! They made virtually no attempt to stick to science with people walking around on the 1\6th gravity of the Moon looking like 1g. Fuck all story line as well.

3 out of 10 and even then I think Im generous.