You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

bull fighting

robbief

I class bull fighting with hunting - it's not for me as i get a bit squeamish aroung suffering/death but by and large i don't give a flying fuck.

This undoubtedly makes me a hypocrite but, quite frankly, i've got more important things to be worried about eg baboon vs komodo dragon; is it gong to rain tomorrow etc etc

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, boxers and cage fighters are consenting adult human beings who don't die in the process of producing entertainment.

wiki

It should be noted that knocking a person unconscious or even causing concussion may cause some permanent brain damage.[13] Furthermore, there is no clear division between the force required to knock out a human and an amount of force which will kill them.

More than 350 amateur and professional boxers have been killed in the ring since 1945;[citation needed] for example, Duk Koo Kim who on November 13, 1982, held a fight with Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini which led to Duk's death five days later.

In 1983, The Journal of the American Medical Association called for a ban on boxing. The editor, Dr. George Lundberg, called boxing an "obscenity" that "should not be sanctioned by any civilized society." Since then, the American Neurological Association, American Academy of Neurology and British, Canadian and Australian Medical Associations have also wanted to abolish the sport.[citation needed]

Many support the ban because it seems that causing injury to another athlete is the goal of the sport. Dr. Bill O'Neill, boxing spokesman for the British Medical Association, has supported the BMA's proposed ban on boxing: "It is the only sport where the intention is to inflict serious injury on your opponent, and we feel that we must have a total ban on boxing."[14] In 2007, one study of amateur boxers showed that protective headgear did not prevent brain damage.[15], and another found that amateur boxers faced a high risk of brain damage[16].

In 1997, the American Association of Professional Ringside Physicians (the "AAPRP) was established to create medical protocols through research and education to prevent injuries in boxing.

Professional boxing is forbidden in Norway, Iceland, Cuba, Iran and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.[citation needed]. It was banned Sweden until recently when the ban was lifted but strict restrictions, including four three-minute rounds for fights, were imposed.

Dr. Lundberg replied: "It's not the deaths but the chronic brain damage that is so frequent." The AMA reports brain deterioration in three out of four boxers who have twenty or more professional fights.

To date, there has been little research regarding the long-term effects of amateur boxing.

Last time I got knocked out I was kept in hospital overninght and given shit-loads of tests and advice leaflets to read - which says to me it's dangerous - and yet 'knock-out' is the ultimate goal of Boxing.

Even if they didn't suffer any lasting damage, I find it more disturbing to watch a baying crowd creaming over the site of two human beings busting open each others eyes sockets - than I do the sight of a creature with a brain the size of a plum being skewered.

Anyone that takes pleasure from either taking part it or watching the torturing and killing of an animal is a waste of blood and guts. I wouldn't care if they died, we wouldn't be losing anyone worth saving anyway.

I would seriously rather find a tenner on the street than save any of these wankers lives.

The only circumstance in which I would enjoy it would be to see the Matadors or the other plebs get torn to pieces by the bull's horn.

Just sittin' on the fence on this one.

And on Uncle Meats awwww kitten thread . . . .

Dunno about you but I'd just kill them.

Meh?

No, I'm suggesting that people who are responsible for the death and suffering of farm animals are hypocrites if they criticise people who are responsible for the death and suffering of bulls in bullfights.

You know the other day when you asked if you are ever wrong. The answer was yes. This is a clear demonstration of you being wrong. Your analogy is extremely flawed.

• 2 years later...

Anyone seen the footage of the incident from this weekend? Matador took a horn through his chin and then it went out of his mouth.

He survived having been rushed to hospital, but the bull (having won) was still killed.

How much longer can this barbaric act go on for?

It's on YouTube if you want to watch, posting from my phone so can't copy the link.

Guest simon

I went fucking belistic in a spanish bar over this sick shite. Seriously i went fucking sick but i made them all feel like cunts.

oh lay !

[YOUTUBE]TDlUnvZScuA[/YOUTUBE]

i like the way the bull missed him intitially but then stook out his back hoof and tripped him

pretty smart

Anwyay anyone who condemns bullfighting and eats beef is a hypocrite.

I like both but I cant eat a whole bullfighter.

i like the way the bull missed him intitially but then stook out his back hoof and tripped him

pretty smart

Anwyay anyone who condemns bullfighting and eats beef is a hypocrite.

I like both but I cant eat a whole bullfighter.

I don't agree about the hypocrisy. Farmed cattle aren't tortured and aren't killed for entertainment for a start. It's not about eating meat, it's about the animals quality of life.

I am practically vegetarian though and don't like red meat. Maybe have the odd bit of good steak every few months. But there's a massive difference between someone eating an animal from a free range farm and someone cheering as a bull is tortured and killed in front of them. There's no respect for the bull.

In bullfighting they kill the bulls for entertainment. In slaughter houses they kill it for food.

I have no doubt the bulls in bullfighting generally have a better life than all the bulls we eat. But so what, imo it's fucking sickening putting animals in the arena for some fucking asshole to stick a sword in for a good time and a damn audience to see. Everytime i hear about a bullfighter getting injured by a bull it brings joy to me.

Have any of you ever been to a bull fight?

The point of a bull fight is to demonstrate your mastery and control of the bull, it is not to torture the bull, at the end they kill the bull as quickly as possible, the better bull fighters can kill a bull quickly with one precision stab, instant death. The norm though is for a bull to stagger around for a few seconds 3-10 and then die, sometimes they have to go back and stab it again, this is very much frowned upon and an indication of a lack of skill by the matador. The actual fight is very skilful and is all about the mastery of the animal and having balls of steel.

I have only been once and it didn't clear up the moral question in my head, but I went with an open mind, the preliminary rounds with the stabbing of the bull were not something I found particularly comfortable to watch, but I understand why it is necessary to do this. The main round, the display of skill by the matador, was impressive there is no torture of the bull, it is very skilful and artistic with both the bull and the matador contributing to the artistry.

Then the killing, I felt very weird watching such a majestic creature die then get unceremoniously dragged out of the ring, although I found it strangely comforting to see it get taken out the back skinned and butchered and loaded into a freezer van for meat.

Anyway I am no expert on bull fighting I've only been once, and despite living 20 minutes from the bull ring I have no real desire to go again, but I did enjoy it and appreciate it when I saw it, for the skill of the matador vs the power of the bull and for the cultural experience of it.

Is it right or wrong?

Animals are used for entertainment all over the world, performing animals such as dolphins and killer whales, or just kept in cages to be gawped at by spotty kids. They are used in circuses and rodeos and not all the conditions and treatment of these animals are perfect. They are used in sports such as horse racing where a horse is raced until lame and then turned into glue. In all of these cases the animal has no say in it.

Animals are killed for meat all over the world and normally treated terribly beforehand, but that is acceptable as long as we can have our £2 chickens from tesco.

As for the bull yes he has no say in the matter but, a fighting bull has a great life before he is murdered in the name of sport and meat.I guess you could ask yourself would you rather die at the hands of a gladiator in ancient Rome or live a long life as a slave?

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not going to change anyone's mind on this, and I'm not trying to as I'm still not sure how I feel about it myself, but I would recommend those that have the opportunity to see a bull fight to go and go with an open mind.

• 2 months later...
Guest simon

It sick and like i said to some Spanish fella in the bar i was in "how would you like me to stab this dart in your back continuously." Its sick and wrong and should be banned the bull has a string around its fucking balls for fuck sakes. How would you feel? I dont aggree with any animal cruelty unless they're killed to eat then if there is waste i dont like to think about it i gladly eat meat. Dont like to think of what gets wasted.

Simon, did you read Ben's post?

Then the killing, I felt very weird watching such a majestic creature die then get unceremoniously dragged out of the ring, although I found it strangely comforting to see it get taken out the back skinned and butchered and loaded into a freezer van for meat.

Not saying it happens to every Bull but I can't see them wasting the meat.