You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jamie Carragher

Best Believe It

Guest davelfc
Give him a player/coach contract; he's already doing his badges, or did I dream that?

Carragher already coaching Liverpool youth teams

12.12.08 | tribalfootball.com

Liverpool academy boss John Owens has revealed defender Jamie Carragher is already working with the club's juniors teams.

Discussing the prospects of Carragher and Steven Gerrard entering management, Owens told liverpoolfc.tv: "In terms of the success they have gone on to then currently we have two fantastic ones.

"Steven (Gerrard) would get more of a European and world accolade because of the position he plays and his ability to score magnificent, match-winning goals, whereas Jamie (Carragher) is such a different character.

"He's actually doing his coaching badges at the moment, so he comes here and works with 15 and 16 year olds with Dave Shannon.

"He's getting in some practice and he wants to get back into the game once he hangs up his boots. It will be fantastic if and when he does.

"Maybe he could be involved with Liverpool, he's certainly the right type for it. He has such a fantastic attitude and a love for the cl

It was the same with Tommy Smith..he lost his pace, and, end of career.

Carragher has bigger worries than an England place...can he play a season for Liverpool anymore?

I'd like to see him made captain this season for what i think will be his final season playing for us regularly.

I would give Carra a contract at the club which runs out when he feels like he can't play at the top level anymore. He's honest enough and loves the club enough to know when that happens. He's our best defender and a true legend.

No, he's not.

I would give Carra a contract at the club which runs out when he feels like he can't play at the top level anymore. He's honest enough and loves the club enough to know when that happens. He's our best defender and a true legend.

That;s a really stupid idea. And thankfully something that would never happen. Sure according to Carra he only had one or two bad games last season.

All this talk of Carra being finished reminds me off when folk were writing off Sami he lasted well enough. Injury wise apart from broken legs he has been quite fortunate and as long he looks after himself professionally off the pitch I cant see no reason why we will not get at least another 100 plus games out of him easily. Give him a year extension with the possibility of another year assuming he plays xyz amount of games.

The biggest obstacle to Carra being here for the long term is how he responds if he is not in the starting eleven.

All this talk of Carra being finished reminds me off when folk were writing off Sami he lasted well enough.

Very different types of centre half though, which is why they complemented each other so well. Sami never relied on pace as he read it so well, he was also supreme in the air. While Carragher could sweep up anything loose, make the last ditch tackles etc. He's always been more about an ability to compete and put his body on the line. Inevitably takes its toll that.

Hyypia wasn't a regular starter for the last 3 years of his career anyhow.

I agree they are different types of player but both read the game excellently and that is a trait that I have yet to see in Skrtel and Agger as yet. As things stand at the moment my starters would be Carra and Agger.

My point was people were writing Hyppia off due to the age factor. Centre half and goalkeeper seem to be one of the few positions on the pitch that age is less of a hindrance.

As much as I admire Carra, he is not as good as Sami was at reading the game and positioning.

And that's just it. While never the quickest, he's lost just a tiny something which left led to last ditch success more often than not. Sami's natural positional sense rendered this a non-issue for him. Carragher, on the other hand, looked horribly exposed at times last season and even in our runner-up year he wasn't playing at his peak with the consistency which has been his hallmark.

Carra still has three good years in him, maybe more. He never relied on pace, and he's in top shape.

Carra should be replaced right now. Not only is he past it but the new style we play with attacking fullbacks will expose him completely. Great servant to the club but I think replacing his position should be a priority. The world cup simply confirmed that he is no longer top level. Every other game he was rugby tackling guys as they were walking past him. He was never quick but I could never remember that happening before.