You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 2 Wolves 0 - Klopp's Last Stand

11 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I didn't mind the hero worship, but saying that the sending off was harsh was madness!

Thanks for the pods over the season, Dave, Chris, Paul, Stu, Browny, JG, John, Al Capone and anybody else I have missed. I enjoy them very much.

From my seat it looked like Macca had jumped in two footed and the only thing separating the two tackles was he got there slightly earlier. A fraction of a second difference and it would have been Macca walking. I haven't really seen anything since to convince me otherwise.

Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 10.56.32.png

But Macca went in low and didn't endanger the opponent. That freeze frame is misleading as Macca is on the way down while the Wolves lad puts his foot up further. I don't think there's any malice there at all, he's protecting himself as he's expecting Macca to go in the same way he is.

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

But Macca went in low and didn't endanger the opponent. That freeze frame is misleading as Macca is on the way down while the Wolves lad puts his foot up further. I don't think there's any malice there at all, he's protecting himself as he's expecting Macca to go in the same way he is.

I think his body shape was just all wrong, so he couldn't tackle safely. I agree, no malice, but definitely dangerous!

13 minutes ago, Chris said:

Haha. There was certainly plenty of hero worship. Genuinely interested in why it was disturbing to you, mate?

You'd go to war if Klopp told you?

He's not the messiah, not even a very naughty boy.

The man is a very good football manager with exceptional charisma and excellent, natural communication skills, who he proved to be a great fit with the culture.  We were very fortunate to have the chance to have him here but I don't think he was all that saintly and adored by the players as we seem to take for granted.

BTW, I agree with what you said on the previous pod and had to backtrack this time, on identikit wives etc.

1 minute ago, dave u said:

Both feet left the ground with Macca, if the other lad is slightly earlier Macca is in an absolute world of bother. The Wolves lad is trying to wrap his foot around the ball. As you say, there's no malice and I don't think that should be a red card. 

It's not all that dissimilar to Curtis' against Spurs and we all cried blue murder about that. 

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

You'd go to war if Klopp told you?

He's not the messiah, not even a very naughty boy.

The man is a very good football manager with exceptional charisma and excellent, natural communication skills, who he proved to be a great fit with the culture.  We were very fortunate to have the chance to have him here but I don't think he was all that saintly and adored by the players as we seem to take for granted.

BTW, I agree with what you said on the previous pod and had to backtrack this time, on identikit wives etc.

As I immediately clarified thereafter, obviously that's not going to be the case. It was just a metaphor for inspiring leadership. See run through brick walls, jump off a bridge if he said so, etc. 

14 minutes ago, Chris said:

As I immediately clarified thereafter, obviously that's not going to be the case. It was just a metaphor for inspiring leadership. See run through brick walls, jump off a bridge if he said so, etc. 

So you are saying that you wouldn't actually run through a brick wall for him? You don't even like him do you!

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

So you are saying that you wouldn't actually run through a brick wall for him? You don't even like him do you!

Can't wait to see the back of him (that's a metaphor for I don't want to see him anymore) to be honest, there's just been one concussion too many.

35 minutes ago, Chris said:

I know it was a metaphor. And I am not sure people who actually work with the man would go trough brick walls for him, it's more like, the impression from the stands or from further away. Fans like him because he has charisma, knows what to say and generally improves the teams he works with, builds bonds, isn't club hopping all the time. 

Listening to the pod, I felt like when the recording was over you would spend 20 minutes crying inconsolably on Dave's shoulder, so that was a bit much, even it was a very emotional day for everybody.

I mean, I know we all have to have a tiny part of our psyche stuck forever at age 12 to care that much, regardless of our success in life, like with Oliver and other celeb fans, but some of the adulation is a bit uncomfortable to me. Maybe I'm just too much of a contrarian.

I thought it was a shithouse challenge by a player more worried about going into a 50-50 than concerned for the safety of the other player and nothing at all like Curtis'. Which was an extremely harsh interpretation of "reckless or dangerous".

But that said, if they stuck with a yellow I wouldn't have been screaming about it.

Trent and Virgil were both crying in full view of millions of people around the world, and Trent said he can't even remember the last time he cried. Most players who have played with him talk about how special he is to them.

Of course some won't feel that way, usually the ones who aren't getting picked every week. I doubt there's a manager in world football who is loved more by his players than Klopp. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

I thought it was a shithouse challenge by a player more worried about going into a 50-50 than concerned for the safety of the other player and nothing at all like Curtis'. Which was an extremely harsh interpretation of "reckless or dangerous".

But that said, if they stuck with a yellow I wouldn't have been screaming about it.

Plus Curtis got the ball and then his foot bounced off it.

31 minutes ago, dave u said:

Trent and Virgil were both crying in full view of millions of people around the world, and Trent said he can't even remember the last time he cried. Most players who have played with him talk about how special he is to them.

Of course some won't feel that way, usually the ones who aren't getting picked every week. I doubt there's a manager in world football who is loved more by his players than Klopp. 

Well, Virgil came here because of him, for Trent, Klopp is the only manager he has worked with in senior career. I really don't get this vibe from most others, from the body language after the game and substitutions, I am getting the respected boss vibe. I think all this unprecedented love fest is what we project into it.

Doubt Salah loves him (if you analyze what he actually said on the Sky piece, it's just politely stating the obvious facts) Nunez I don't think was happy  being publicly criticized and getting pushed down in the forwards packing order, Gakpo is being played in a position which may not be where he wants to play, Mac Allister also had to play the position he didn't come here to play, Szoboslai may think he could be utilized better, and like several others, he probably has not been here long enough to form a real bond, same as Endo and Gravenberch, Diaz does not strike me as having some special bond either. Tsimikas is mostly on the bench, Elliott probably thinks he isn't starting enough games and may hope he now would etc.

Some may think their fitness may be suffering from Klopp's methods and stile of play. Kids probably like him a lot because he instills them with confidence and gives them the opportunities.

4 hours ago, SasaS said:

I know it was a metaphor. And I am not sure people who actually work with the man would go trough brick walls for him, it's more like, the impression from the stands or from further away. Fans like him because he has charisma, knows what to say and generally improves the teams he works with, builds bonds, isn't club hopping all the time. 

Listening to the pod, I felt like when the recording was over you would spend 20 minutes crying inconsolably on Dave's shoulder, so that was a bit much, even it was a very emotional day for everybody.

I mean, I know we all have to have a tiny part of our psyche stuck forever at age 12 to care that much, regardless of our success in life, like with Oliver and other celeb fans, but some of the adulation is a bit uncomfortable to me. Maybe I'm just too much of a contrarian.

I'm glad I was able to articulate how I felt so effectively, then. 

I'm a really emotional guy. I love what I love deeply and I don't mind who knows it. 

If that felt like too much for you, or disturbing to you, then that's fair enough. But it's not necessarily too much or disturbing in general.

I guess we come on the pods to say how we feel rather than try and gauge a level of feeling people will feel is the mean appropriate emotion.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

Well, Virgil came here because of him, for Trent, Klopp is the only manager he has worked with in senior career. I really don't get this vibe from most others, from the body language after the game and substitutions, I am getting the respected boss vibe. I think all this unprecedented love fest is what we project into it.

Doubt Salah loves him (if you analyze what he actually said on the Sky piece, it's just politely stating the obvious facts) Nunez I don't think was happy  being publicly criticized and getting pushed down in the forwards packing order, Gakpo is being played in a position which may not be where he wants to play, Mac Allister also had to play the position he didn't come here to play, Szoboslai may think he could be utilized better, and like several others, he probably has not been here long enough to form a real bond, same as Endo and Gravenberch, Diaz does not strike me as having some special bond either. Tsimikas is mostly on the bench, Elliott probably thinks he isn't starting enough games and may hope he now would etc.

Some may think their fitness may be suffering from Klopp's methods and stile of play. Kids probably like him a lot because he instills them with confidence and gives them the opportunities.

Yeah, players not in the team aren't going to be as attached to him as the likes of Trent, but as I say, show me a manager in world football who is loved more by his players (and former players) and Klopp. He's a boss, of course he's not going to be able to please everybody all of the time.

You're in a very small minority on this one I think!

6 minutes ago, dave u said:

Yeah, players not in the team aren't going to be as attached to him as the likes of Trent, but as I say, show me a manager in world football who is loved more by his players (and former players) and Klopp. He's a boss, of course he's not going to be able to please everybody all of the time.

You're in a very small minority on this one I think!

Possibly, but I don't think many on here would be able to point at a manager loved more by his players than Klopp due to the simple fact we have no idea how much other managers are being loved by their players. I have no idea how much Feyenord players love Slot.

So I would still say we are projecting what we feel onto the players. If you said, show me a manager who is loved more than Klopp is loved by Liverpool fans, that would be another matter.

10 hours ago, SasaS said:

Do you even like anything at all?

• dave u unpinned this topic