You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 0 Atalanta 3 - Match Reaction

Well, that was unexpected. An abject performance against Atalanta, on a night when Anfield pageantry was already in short supply, left the Reds' Europa League hopes in tatters ahead of next week's second leg in Italy.

There were scant positives to take from a monumentally sobering evening, which raised huge question marks over the prospect of this team securing a fitting end to the Jurgen Klopp era.

Chris Smith is joined by John Brennan and TLW Editor Dave Usher for this one. 

View full article

• Upvote 5

• dave u pinned this topic
2 minutes ago, aws said:

Half the team look like they’re running on empty and the cavalry have arrived three weeks late. It looks like the injuries have finally caught up with us.  

Great point. That's how I've been seeing it. 

49 minutes ago, aws said:

Half the team look like they’re running on empty and the cavalry have arrived three weeks late. It looks like the injuries have finally caught up with us.  

I don't think it's that. We don't look tired, not physically anyway. Mentally you could argue that as the decision making has been terrible.

• Upvote 1

If these players allow Klopp to go out like this, with a fucking whimper, then I'm all in on whoever comes in next to just doing whatever he likes and getting rid of whoever wants as I wont care. Don't even want to look at them right now. Something changed after that cup defeat at United, we lost all momentum but they better get it back quick. 

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Good pod in the circumstances. But @Chris 46:00......

74af7c1d-b0fa-4493-856b-dd2fad2ecf2c_text.gif

Realised as I said it, but when trying to convey hurt, anger, sadness, frustration and hopelessness all at once, such a slip didn't seem high on the list of priorities to correct. 

Fantastically despondent.  Listening to others totally down in dumps always helps cheer me up a bit. 

"A shite performance shared is a shite performance halved" as me old dead granny used to say.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Realised as I said it, but when trying to convey hurt, anger, sadness, frustration and hopelessness all at once, such a slip didn't seem high on the list of priorities to correct. 

That's a very fair point mate. 

7 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Good pod in the circumstances. But @Chris 46:00......

74af7c1d-b0fa-4493-856b-dd2fad2ecf2c_text.gif

Under normal circumstances I'd have leapt in to belittle him for that belter but I couldn't be arsed. I also had something I had been planning to mock Stu Monty with too concerning something he said on the last pod, but it didn't feel like the right time to do that either. Fucking dickheads killing my piss taking mojo.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dave u said:

Under normal circumstances I'd have leapt in to belittle him for that belter but I couldn't be arsed. I also had something I had been planning to mock Stu Monty with too concerning something he said on the last pod, but it didn't feel like the right time to do that either. Fucking dickheads killing my piss taking mojo.

image.png

Atalanta weren’t given anywhere near enough credit.

They did a job on us. Got their tactics spot on and we had no answer to their man-marking. Their keeper had a quite evening, they won every 50-50 and, even though they won 0-3, missed 3 sitters.

Klopp was pretty effusive in his praise for them and rightly so. It wasn’t just that we were poor, they made us play poorly.

• Upvote 3

We did a job on ourselves. We knew exactly what they'd do so it's up to the players to deal with it. There were no surprises, Klopp spoke afterwards about that and what we should have done to exploit it. It can't be that hard as plenty of other teams have done well against them, hence why they're 6th in their league. They played well, credit to them for that, but that result was all about us stinking it up, not because we came up against some super team.

And I think their keeper made one relatively difficult save (from Mo). I don't remember any others. Kweev probably made more saves than him. 

Lots of teams have made it difficult for us but usually we step it up and find a way to turn it around and win. This time we got worse and worse and were lucky to only lose by three.

Not sure that we can congratulate Atalanta on forcing our players to underhit passes, stroll around like they were already in the final and this was just an annoying step to take to get there. Love this team but I was so pissed off at half time, expected it to get better in the second half and found it got worse.

Atalanta played a system that the TNT team knew about so we should have expected it. And makING me listen to Steve MacfuckINGmanaman for two hours with nothING to show for it. Criminal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CrownPaints said:

Not sure that we can congratulate Atalanta on forcing our players to underhit passes, stroll around like they were already in the final and this was just an annoying step to take to get there. Love this team but I was so pissed off at half time, expected it to get better in the second half and found it got worse.

Atalanta played a system that the TNT team knew about so we should have expected it. And makING me listen to Steve MacfuckINGmanaman for two hours with nothING to show for it. Criminal.

Where did they get that idea? It certainly wasn’t from us wonderful supporters. *cancels flights*

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Planet Origi said:

The sound level on the last few podcasts seem to be a bit low, I'm having to put the volume right up to listen.. anyone else have the same issue or is it just me?

Don't think I've done anything different on the editing. Anyone else notice this?

That pod needed a Paul or Stu to inject some reality back into it, had to switch it off half way through it was so gloomy. Proper throw the toys out of the pram stuff. That performance had nothing to do with Klopp leaving, what it was a team that was completely flummoxed by a style of play, we simply never got to grips with it. Instead of being composed and figuring it out, we panicked. As shite as we where we could have easily scored 4 goals, Darwin has to score, Mo has to keep himself onside and then we have Harvey's effort and Mo, Darwin and Diogo's other chances. We can score 4 or 5 out there easily.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic