You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Band To Come Out Of Liverpool That Isn't The Beatles

Bjornebye

Best Band To Come Out Of Liverpool That Isn't The Beatles   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Best Band To Come Out Of Liverpool That Isn't The Beatles

• Echo & The Bunnymen
    • The Christians
    • Frankie Goes To Hollywood
    • China Crisis
    • The La's
    • The Lightning Seeds
    • Teardrop Explodes
    • Cast
    • Space
    • The Coral
    • The Real Thing
    • OMD
    • A Flock Of Seagulls
    • The Farm
    • The Real People
    • Dead Or Alive
    • Deaf School
    • Shack
    • Smaller
    • Other (Please State)

Gerry and the Pacemakers were the first band to have three number ones with their first three singles and they left us an immortal anthem for our city and an immortal anthem for our club.

And they still don't make the list.

We have, indeed, been spoiled.

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Gerry and the Pacemakers were the first band to have three number ones with their first three singles and they left us an immortal anthem for our city and an immortal anthem for our club.

And they still don't make the list.

We have, indeed, been spoiled.

Read the op mate 

EATBM

Those first 4 albums, Crocodiles, Heaven up Here, Porcupine and Ocean Rain are amongst the best released in that decade for my money.

They were not so great after that though for me - but frankly for me most of the bands on that list are not much cop - Liverpool's musical heritage is IMHO over exaggerated, plenty of it like, but for me just not all that good really.  From down the road in manc land Joy Division and New Order for example piss all over anything on this list.

Elvis Costello whilst not a scouser did i beklieve come from a scouse family and spent some of his formative years on Merseyside/Liverpool - probably stretching it a bit to put him on list, but he'd top this list easily for my money.

As for newer bands from the area who may go on and do well I really like The Mysterines

Couple of theirs if not familiar....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, an tha said:

EATBM

Those first 4 albums, Crocodiles, Heaven up Here, Porcupine and Ocean Rain are amongst the best released in that decade for my money.

They were not so great after that though for me - but frankly for me most of the bands on that list are not much cop - Liverpool's musical heritage is IMHO over exaggerated, plenty of it like, but for me just not all that good really.

Elvis Costello whilst not a scouser did i beklieve come from a scouse family and spent some of his formative years on Merseyside/Liverpool - probably stretching it a bit to put him on list, but he'd top this list easily for my money.

As for newer bands from the area who may go on and do well I really like The Mysterines

Couple of theirs if not familiar....

Yeah I like them. 

She Drew The Gun is good as well. 

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah I like them. 

She Drew The Gun is good as well. 

Given your love of Oasis, Hi-Vis is another you'd probably like. Although think it is just lead singer who is from liverpool - not 100% sure.

• Upvote 1

Being responsible for a seminal piece of art, The La's should win this.  That album alone will always stand as a genuine classic.  Nobody comes close.  It's like The Clash's first album or The Velvets' Andy Warhol.

But for me, although I still listen to the Icicle Works, Echo and the Bunnymen are the second best band to come out of Liverpool because of the sustained quality.

The La's played upstairs at The Picket long after they'd released the album and sounded terrible.  Echo and the Bunnymen would never do that.  But what an album - even better than Ocean Rain.

8 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

And that's without admitting to the Kaiser Chiefs.

Who is on Sheffield's list?  Two Cockers, ABC & The Human League?

Cabaret Voltaire, Arctic Monkeys, Heaven 17 and a bunch of others.