You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso: Welcome back to Anfield.

Elite

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yes,exactly the way it looks to me. Let's enjoy Jurgen's last few months,eh?

Sadly appears i am wrong on this one as reports suggest that Alonso will announce in his presser today he is staying put.

I am surprised - but there you go! 

But yeah - who comes in the summer is a sideshow to what is ahead of us with Klopp's last few months and what we are chasing.

A new manager will be appointed in the summer and i trust the club to get the best manager they can.

5 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

Sickening. 

Where’s the Saudi league?

Saudi 26th. 

The reason why the Portuguese League is ranked low is 10 of the 18 teams who play in that league are ranked below 300. A lot of easy easy games in that league to play.

When Klopp announced he was off didn't he say all his coaching staff were leaving too?

I appreciate things can change but i'd also imagine that included Lijnders and i'd be very surprised if that did change now.

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

When Klopp announced he was off didn't he say all his coaching staff were leaving too?

I appreciate things can change but i'd also imagine that included Lijnders and i'd be very surprised if that did change now.

Yes, there is no chance Ljinders stays imo - especially not as a stop gap for a year - that's just stupid.

We are going from the greatest manager in the game to waiting on No Mark Nagelsman to decide in a month if he wants it -- fuckin ridiculous.

But gutted it seems almost certain now that Xabi is not coming here, I genuinely think he was our best chance at continuing momentum from Klopp.  

A tall order for anyone of course, but we're done once Jürgen leaves, which I always thought would be the case but then Xabi appeared on the scene and looked ideal.

Oh well.

• Upvote 2

IMO, it’s more disappointing for Bayern than for us. 

Xabi is basically saying he’d rather to go toe to toe, fight against Bayern and beat them again, than manage them next seasons 

Just now, bizzle10 said:

I wonder if Edwards really wanted Xabi or was more media/fans getting carried away and Edwards and his data driven analytics were saying he aint ready

Possibly, or did they not want a new manager with a bit of clout who would be backed against them by the fans if things went wrong.

I stress posters should watch the videos I put in the previous page about Amorim, especially the second one. 

Appreciate that the whole point of the video(s) are to make him sound good, even if you take all that candy floss off the top, his achievements are impressive. 

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I stress posters should watch the videos I put in the previous page about Amorim, especially the second one. 

Appreciate that the whole point of the video(s) are to make him sound good, even if you take all that candy floss off the top, his achievements are impressive. 

I like the cut of his jib

Xabi may have his eye on Madrid job in 12 months. In the meantime, the stats driven approach of Edwards and Hughes may point to Amorim anyway. If Xabi got wind of not being a shoe in he may back off and hope his reputation improves before the next Liverpool opportunity.

23 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yes, there is no chance Ljinders stays imo - especially not as a stop gap for a year - that's just stupid.

We are going from the greatest manager in the game to waiting on No Mark Nagelsman to decide in a month if he wants it -- fuckin ridiculous.

Yeah stop gap for a year is just silly.

Whole thing does not worry me that much.

I mean yeah obviously Klopp going is bad, bad news and pretty much anyone we get will likely be a step down - but I honestly trust the club to get it right and like it always has and always will the wheel will keep turning and we'll win shiny silver things again.

I saw this somewhere else and thought it was a decent summary of the overall picture:

Appointing a new manager has been difficult for every big club in the last 6-8 years.

Look at the Top 6 managerial appointments since Klopp joined:

City - n/a

United - Van Gaal, Mourinho, Solskjær, Ten Haag

Spurs - Mourinho, Nuno, Conte, Postegcoglu

Chelsea - Sarri, Lampard, Tuchel, Potter, Pochetinno

Arsenal - Emery, Arteta

It’s a combo of yesterday’s man, hopeful punts on the next big thing and managers who are clearly not top tier.

The stability we’ve had at the manager position over recent years has probably blinded some people to the fact that there are currently very few elite managers about. None have emerged in last 5-10 years. Poch, Tuchel, Enrique and Nagglseman are probably the better ones but clearly a level or 2 below Klopp, Pep and Ancelotti.

Anyone we take will be a punt. But that’s what every other big club has been doing for last 8 years

• Upvote 1

If Xabi stays with Leverkusen, that is an honourable (  and possibly family driven ) decision, but there is no guarantee that the mega jobs will be sitting waiting for him next season. I see this season as an outlier for them and the only way is down unless they do really well in the CL, which could go either way.