You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

11 hours ago, YNWAViking said:

I do not think that will be a problem. The Caicedo case was our own fault. We came in way too late, while Chelsea had built a repor with the player/his representatives for months. And, supposedly, if Chelsea hadn't met our valuation of Caicedo he would have signed for us.

If by rapport, you mean an eye watering 8 year contract with likely all sorts of bonuses added in for his agent as well, then yes. If you honestly think if it were Liverpool building a relationship with Caicedo for months and it was Chelsea that swooped in that he would have rejected Chelsea for Liverpool due to 'rapport', you've got to be pretty naive. A bloke who was shouting about being desperate to go to Arsenal 6 months ago doesn't care about Chelsea, he cares about the stacks of cash being thrown his way. In hindsight we did nothing wrong other than being naive ourselves, building a rapport with him for a long time would have made no difference, because our ability to offer him anything close to a lucrative 8 year contract is non existent.

• Upvote 1

Let the fume begin…

IMG_9797.png

IMG_9798.png

…given the money is seemingly there, I’m very surprised at this. We should have another c.£90m available. It feels a very dubious decision, IMO.

I’d hope we can bring in another centre back. 

Rightly so. The window ends like this and it's been a piss poor rebuild. Mac and Szobozlai great but it's not enough, Endo may be okay he may not. The players we've let go to what we've brought in it's once again the absolute minimum they can do. That's if the window shuts as it is. I'm  not having the lack of minutes the players we've let go having last season being a valid excuse not to get more in, lack of players available is a factor in us being shite. The PR was no Bellingham because we didn't realise the extent of the rebuild we need to do. If this is the rebuild its a farce.

I still don't believe we are done anyway.

8 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Let the fume begin…

IMG_9797.png

IMG_9798.png

…given the money is seemingly there, I’m very surprised at this. We should have another c.£90m available. It feels a very dubious decision, IMO.

I’d hope we can bring in another centre back. 

In an already baffling transfer window that’s genuinely baffling unless we knew we had no chance of getting Caicedo from the start so no money spent ? 

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Didn’t Doucoure play in a few midfield slots in France?

I was reading some article on scouting and why #6’s are so expensive at the moment in The Athletic yesterday.

Part of it was an inflated market (Enzo Fernandez, Rice, Casimiro etc) however, they also broke down those players figures.

The are all elite at multiple aspects of that role - beating a press, taking the ball under pressure and finding a man, how the block lanes, make tackles, pass forwards etc etc etc. 

Doucoure was referenced. Apparently although there isn’t really a weakness in his game, there isn’t really anything he excels or is elite at. They definitely made him sound like he was a level or two below above players.

I think we all accept that would be the case anyway, it’s cast a bit of doubt in my mind on him. Do we all just want him because he’s the best of the rest in seemingly limited pool or is he genuinely somebody who can be as good as Fabinho?

I don’t know the answer. I have an opinion, it’s up to Klopp and co to decide.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I was reading some article on scouting and why #6’s are so expensive at the moment in The Athletic yesterday.

Part of it was an inflated market (Enzo Fernandez, Rice, Casimiro etc) however, they also broke down those players figures.

The are all elite at multiple aspects of that role - beating a press, taking the ball under pressure and finding a man, how the block lanes, make tackles, pass forwards etc etc etc. 

Doucoure was referenced. Apparently although there isn’t really a weakness in his game, there isn’t really anything he excels or is elite at. They definitely made him sound like he was a level or two below above players.

I think we all accept that would be the case anyway, it’s cast a bit of doubt in my mind on him. Do we all just want him because he’s the best of the rest in seemingly limited pool or is he genuinely somebody who can be as good as Fabinho?

I don’t know the answer. I have an opinion, it’s up to Klopp and co to decide.

I watched Onana closely yesterday, apparently he's worth 80m. He's a big donkey that puts his foot in. Klopp could turn anyone of his physical stature into an Onana in 2 months. It wouldn't be good enough though for how we play. 

My instinct from the few Palace games I've seen is that Decoure is no different. I'll have a gander tonight, I reckon we will all be in or out by 10pm.

Most 6's live or die by those around them, they don't have to be amazing at everything and the ability to, in the words of Bill Belichik, do your job is often massively under appreciated in football.

Now Endo is also capable of doing his job as much as Doucoure, the issue is it seems like we're just pushing the problem down the road instead of putting something in place for the next 5-7 years and relying on a youngster who's best games for us came not as a pure 6 to come good in the next few.

Klopp seems to get hung up on certain players and I hope Gravenberch isn't another because as talented as he is, he's not a player to anchor the midfield and we I'm not sure he's replacing Szoboszlai/Mac Allister any time soon.

4 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Moving the goalposts again. Wasn’t Endo meant to have been a utility back up to a DM?

This Club baffles me.

You're doing the usual of listening to people on the outside and attributing it as the view of the club/Klopp then getting annoyed about it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Moving the goalposts again. Wasn’t Endo meant to have been a utility back up to a DM?

This Club baffles me.

Not really if they think they've satiated fans enough that they now don't have to spend anything. Tchoumeni we tried, Bellingham we tried, Caciedo we tried hell even the Mbappe stuff as tenious as it was was a distraction. 

My concern is the player inflation is only going to get higher, the contracts clubs offering becoming so ridiculous in order to compete you risk your club. Doing the Brighton thing maybe the only way to keep up. 

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

You're doing the usual of listening to people on the outside and attributing it as the view of the club/Klopp then getting annoyed about it.

I’ve learnt that Pearce is the official mouthpiece of the Club when need be. He is usually correct when he slides these articles out, because the Club wants to start tempering expectations.

All I know is we have a week left of the market thereabouts and we still need two or three in personally and we don’t seem capable of multitasking.

I would have thought we would have brought in two last week after the first game of the season and the failure on Caciedo and Lavia.

We can’t leave it because the squad is paper thin we are already struggling if Macs ban stands. We can’t have the season constantly on a knifes edge regarding injury/availability. It never, ever works out for us, and beating Bournemouth is no yardstick.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I’ve learnt that Pearce is the official mouthpiece of the Club when need be. He is usually correct when he slides these articles out, because the Club wants to start tempering expectations.

Except Pearce didn't mention anything about Endo being a 'utility back up to the DM', we, on here, assumed it at the time of his signing.

The article also mentions that while they aren't looking for #6 they are looking for other players, while I think that's a mistake, it would be an odd stance to take to say that we've absolutely finished in the market and we've ruined our season because of it.

We might not sign anyone when it comes to it, but it's like you have a selective blindness that filters out what you don't want to see and you draw your conclusions from the bits you do.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

I don’t fully understand why we’d be looking at another 8, but if it means we’ll be defending further up the pitch like in the peak Klopp years, it won’t be a bad thing. 

it was an interesting choice of words from Pearce though "multi-functional midfielder". He then links gravenberch, so you think one of this 6&8 types, i suppose box to box as we'd say in old money. but i guess it could equally be someone who can drop into one of the defensive positions (or one of the attacking ones).  

29 minutes ago, No2 said:

I watched Onana closely yesterday, apparently he's worth 80m. He's a big donkey that puts his foot in. Klopp could turn anyone of his physical stature into an Onana in 2 months. It wouldn't be good enough though for how we play. 

My instinct from the few Palace games I've seen is that Decoure is no different. I'll have a gander tonight, I reckon we will all be in or out by 10pm.

Yeah, I agree. I can’t say I’ve seen much of him. I imagine he’ll certainly be stretched tonight. 

30 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Klopp seems to get hung up on certain players and I hope Gravenberch isn't another because as talented as he is, he's not a player to anchor the midfield and we I'm not sure he's replacing Szoboszlai/Mac Allister any time soon.

Unless we’re not convinced at the quality / cost of the potentially available #6’s and think it would be better buying another #8 and playing Mac Allister as #6?

We should have c.£90m left available. Say Gravenberch takes c.£30m of that, it would be plenty left for a centre half. 

Not sure I’m convinced by that thinking, I’m also not convinced at spending c.£60m on Doucoure.