You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

13 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Only if you think transfer policy is dictated solely by the manager and not a broader club policy set out at a high level by the owners and more granularly by those tasked with implementing that policy.

As I said, 'the owners' would be short hand for that policy blown up into a far bigger issue because it suits a narrative.

We already know it's not a red line issue because we've signed players outside of that scope.

Unless people think Henry is sitting their pouring over appearance stats for every player that crops up as a potential signing.

You're missing the point I think.  You're hung up on who does what and if that's worth being worked up about. The salient point was that Klopp specified the owners, not the club, not the all encompassing We, or the management team or recruitment team. The owners. Directly. 

Whether you like it or not or think that's shorthand (it's unlikely to be, typical shorthand would be "we" or "the club").

That's why the FSG Out lads will love it

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

You're missing the point I think.  You're hung up on who does what and if that's worth being worked up about. The salient point was that Klopp specified the owners, not the club, not the all encompassing We, or the management team or recruitment team. The owners. Directly. 

Whether you like it or not or think that's shorthand (it's unlikely to be, typical shorthand would be "we" or "the club").

He's got a weird fetish about spinning everything into a positive for FSG...bad weirdo.

17 minutes ago, Moo said:

It was a throw away exaggeration in a quote that referenced the signings of Endo, Milner and Ragnar Klavan.

5 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Think it's the game he got the yellow card for a mad tackle in.

If guilty he's potentially looking at prison rather than a few months ban from football.

Just checked and he wasn't booked in either Arsenal game.

9 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Dunno why, it's already well known and been discussed on here in the last three or 4 weeks that the recruitment team have a threshold number of games they like to asses players over (about 100-150?) it's not a set in stone number though.

I think 200 at 20 years old is just an exaggeration for effect because people are making a fuss of Endo being 30 and we've signed plenty of players for below that number.

I think it interesting that he used the words owners. I don't think klopp in these embargoed conferences does throw away comments, he often uses them as a platform to get a message out. But the crux of the exaggeration of 20+200 games could have a message too, as in these guys don't exist. Because I'm pretty sure someone from behind the scenes did an interview last year saying it was something like 22-23 and strangely 153.5 game or daft like that..it wasn't an exact number of matches. What message klopp is trying to give though is very open to interpretation. I have my view below. 

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Some people may interpret that as a dig because we wouldn't pay up for Lavia, who was not that experienced.

I took the comment as klopp supporting endo and how much he believes in him, combined with an illustration he's not all powerful in transfers. I took those words as "I'd have bought endo at the start of the window, but we've had to spend the summer fucking about failing to find or get footballers that match the profile of the owners recruitment strategy.  When we exhausted that path, we bought the lad was happy with all along". 

36 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Poor baby…

IMG_9788.png

Translated to we have to watch our spending on transfer because cooking the books with another club is dead hard to do. It's much easier when you just pay players and staff off the books. 

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

something like 22-23 and strangely 153.5 game or daft like that..it wasn't an exact number of matches.

Which seems every bit an Ian Graham/Will Spearman data science-ism of a more high level transfer policy (players that aren't really old on a downward trajectory, potential sell on value, being able to identify hidden value in players) the usual board requirement style stuff you see at most clubs.

I think all managers have a type of player that they really like and appreciate that either supporters don't or that don't fit into the broader club policy (not exclusively their's often a cross over) it's why people like Henderson get dogs abuse amongst support but is constantly picked by a succession of managers, same with Milner when he got to a certain age. Ferguson had a conveyer belt of footballers that just did the job and supported the more talented higher profile players in the squad.

8 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Which seems every bit an Ian Graham/Will Spearman data science-ism of a more high level transfer policy (players that aren't really old on a downward trajectory, potential sell on value, being able to identify hidden value in players) the usual board requirement style stuff you see at most clubs.

I think all managers have a type of player that they really like and appreciate that either supporters don't or that don't fit into the broader club policy (not exclusively their's often a cross over) it's why people like Henderson get dogs abuse amongst support but is constantly picked by a succession of managers, same with Milner when he got to a certain age. Ferguson had a conveyer belt of footballers that just did the job and supported the more talented higher profile players in the squad.

The problem comes when the players who “just do the job” can’t any more, but the manager keeps them around of loyalty or whatever. Interesting that you’ve picked Ferguson as an example because ruthlessness with previously well trusted players was one of his biggest strengths.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

We almost made a player with 106 career appearances, of which only c.50% are at a level we’d require, the 3rd most expensive footballer of all time. 

Almost.

An 11th hour gamble that didn’t pay off and probably cost us one of Jurgen other targets.

Why didn’t we go in for him earlier? Oh that’s right, we were counting pennies again like a bargain basement club.

Could have gone all in on him earlier in the summer and then flogged Hendo and Fabinho without any panic.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Think it's the game he got the yellow card for a mad tackle in.

If guilty he's potentially looking at prison rather than a few months ban from football.

Wow he's fucked. Just for reference Philip Billing is 2/1 to be booked today, that's the lowest odds on the pitch. Robertson is 9/2 which is our lowest. If that tweet above is correct that Paqueta was 8/11 then jail could be about right. Shows how shady it is that a bet from March only raises his head in August when he's on the verge of a big move. 

Nice piece of Karma involved too, below is a snipped from an article last week by Hannah Jane Parkinson about new kits in the PL."Congrats to West Ham, who, in a country in which hundreds of people addicted to gambling kill themselves each year, retain Betway as their front-of-shirt sponsor. Well played, guys!" Gambling costing West Ham £85m is a lovely thought, even though I'd prefer it to be City.

Guess it depends on the extent, was this a one off or will they now find a pattern of behaviour and that will determine the level of punishment but the precedent has been set for jail time.

Salman Butt got thirty months and Mohammed Asif got 12 months for spot-betting in the cricket, Michael Boateng, Moses Swaibu and Delroy Facey all got sentences ranging from 16 months to 30 months for fixing matches in the football league.

52 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Almost.

An 11th hour gamble that didn’t pay off and probably cost us one of Jurgen other targets.

Why didn’t we go in for him earlier? Oh that’s right, we were counting pennies again like a bargain basement club.

Could have gone all in on him earlier in the summer and then flogged Hendo and Fabinho without any panic.

Almost, only if we was trading back in the slave markets and the slave had no say

2 hours ago, No2 said:

Just checked and he wasn't booked in either Arsenal game.

The tweet was not related to an Arsenal game. It was directly linked to the odds for the game against villa. It was just an arsenal supporter who was raising suspicions about the odds.

He was then booked in the Villa game.