You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emergency Ward 10 - The Injuries Thread

an tha

3 hours ago, Chris said:

20 days before the City game. We gotta pray he'll be back for that. But "for the foreseeable" doesn't sound hopeful. 

Klopp only looks one game ahead, so lets hope he’s not looking longer ahead than the weekend. 

Not sure this adds anything new but has been put up on club site...

NEWS Liverpool's injury list, suspensions and availability

Read the latest information on injuries, suspensions and availability in the Liverpool men's squad.

Last updated on February 20

• Injuries

Thiago Alcantara

Thiago sustained a muscle injury as he made his first appearance of 2023-24 as a substitute in the defeat at Arsenal on February 4.

He subsequently missed the win over Burnley on February 10 and will also be absent for the match at Brentford on February 17.

Jürgen Klopp on February 9: "Thiago, obviously, is not cool. Everything looked absolutely fantastic in training. We showed quite a lot of things, I think, on LFCTV so you can see the training moments and it looks outstanding so you think, 'Come on, take him, we have the opportunity, let him play a few minutes' and then…

"It's a muscle issue, we don't know the extent yet. We have to wait there a little bit, but it's not cool, of course. It was really not good news for him, for us, for everybody. On top of losing the game already and having that is not good.

"Yes [I expect him to play again this season], but we didn't really think about that, in the moment we just treat the injury and get a full assessment done and knowing exactly where it came from. It's not the intensity and stuff like this, so there are different things.

"It's just the normal procedure and it would not be a big story if he wouldn't have been out for that long a time. That's how it is. It's not a big, big injury, definitely not, but it's obviously something nobody needed."

Trent Alexander-Arnold and Dominik Szoboszlai

Klopp provided an update on the duo in the build-up to Liverpool's Premier League fixture with Luton Town at Anfield.

Klopp on February 20: "All the little bit longer-term like Trent and Dom, they are on their way back but not in team training yet, so that means they are not available as well."

Stefan Bajcetic

Bajcetic has missed the majority of the current season due to a fitness issue.

Pepijn Lijnders on January 9: "[Bajcetic] will not be ready for the end of this month. It will probably be going into the next month to train with us. But [with] no complications, progressing."

Alisson Becker

The goalkeeper is out with a muscle injury he picked up in training.

Klopp on February 20: "So, not available is obviously Ali, that's a muscle injury where we don't know exactly how long it takes but definitely not for foreseeable time coming back."

Ben Doak

The young forward is on the sidelines after suffering a knee injury while representing the Reds' U21s.

Lijnders on December 19: "That's not a good one. He teared his lateral meniscus, which needs surgery. That one will take [a] longer time. He is young, he is a fit guy, he is a positive guy so for sure he will come back stronger, and we need him to come back with the same fire he has with the ball, how he was. He can take time and we will wait for him."

Curtis Jones

The midfielder has been ruled out of the clash with Luton with the injury he suffered in the win away at Brentford.

Klopp on February 20: "Curtis, with a bone ligament issue, ruled out."

Diogo Jota

Jota is facing a spell on the sidelines as a result of the knee issue he picked up against Brentford.

Klopp on February 20: "Then we have Diogo with a knee issue, is ruled out.

"With Diogo, it will obviously take rather months. It's with the injuries as well, so like you have important days. So, day five, day 10, they are always important days when you then judge the situation again because nobody reacts in the same way and it depends on the pain level they still have and stuff like this.

"I couldn't give you a timeframe even if I wanted to, so that's just how it is. When you don't have these players available, it makes no sense as well to say, 'OK, they will not be in before...'"

Joel Matip

The centre-back sustained an anterior cruciate ligament injury during a challenge in the second half of Liverpool's win over Fulham on December 3.

Matip subsequently underwent a successful operation and will continue his rehabilitation at the AXA Training Centre, with no timescale placed on his recovery.

Darwin Nunez

Nunez will be assessed after being withdrawn at half-time against Brentford.

Klopp on February 17: "Darwin, we took off because he felt really a little but that was obviously today enough to immediately push the brake and that's what we did, so we took him off and brought Cody [Gakpo] on and that worked out really well."

28 minutes ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

Paul Joyce in The Times is apparently saying that Nunez and Salah are both doubts for Luton and the Carabao Cup final. 

If they are doubts for Sunday they must be out tomorrow.

We are in real trouble without both of them.

2 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

If they are doubts for Sunday they must be out tomorrow.

We are in real trouble without both of them.

The story is from a paywalled article, so haven’t been able to read it all. I’ve had a look on Twitter and some are giving a less dramatic summary of the story, saying that they’re both out for Luton but then it will be assessed on a day to day basis to see if they’ll be available for the final. 

That sounds a bit more promising. Just! 

Mohamed Salah and Darwin Núñez add to Liverpool’s injury problems

February 16 2024, 7.05pm GMT

Mohamed Salah and Darwin Núñez are the latest additions to Liverpool’s ever-expanding injury list, with Jürgen Klopp saying that their fitness is being monitored “day by day”.

Both forwards are serious doubts for Wednesday’s Premier League game at home to Luton Town and will have to be continually assessed in the build-up to Sunday’s Carabao Cup final with Chelsea.

Liverpool are already set to be without nine players this week as Klopp’s plans for a crucial league game and a Wembley final are severely undermined. An array of youngsters, including the 16-year-old attacking midfielder Trey Nyoni, are on standby.

Salah made his comeback from a hamstring injury he suffered during the Africa Cup of Nations in Saturday’s 4-1 victory over Brentford. The 31-year-old complained of fatigue after the game, according to sources, while Núñez was substituted at half-time having felt tightness in a muscle.

“He [Núñez] felt that in that game and there was nothing around. We go day by day,” Klopp said before Tuesday’s training session. “It is day by day as well with Mo. It’s a similar area where he feels it [fatigue] a little bit. We have to see how it develops. It’s nothing crazy, but we have to see.”

Alisson suffered a hamstring injury on the eve of the Brentford game, while Diogo Jota and Curtis Jones picked up knee and ankle problems respectively during the match. No definitive timescale has been put on their return and they will be absent against Luton, along with Trent Alexander-Arnold, Dominik Szoboszlai, Thiago Alcântara, Stefan Bajcetic, Joël Matip and Ben Doak.

Núñez came off at half-time against Brentford after feeling tightness in a muscle

KIERAN MCMANUS/REX/SHUTTERSTOCK

Klopp said that Jota would be out for “months”, which puts Liverpool’s remaining forwards at risk of overload given that the Premier League leaders are still in four competitions. The club’s strength in depth has been crucial to their progress this season, though their resources are diminishing by the day.

The teenagers Bobby Clark, Kaide Gordon and James McConnell have already played for the first team this term and were namechecked by Klopp on Tuesday, along with the untried 18-year-olds Lewis Koumas and Jayden Danns, as well as Nyoni, a midfielder who was signed from Leicester City in September. 

Klopp called for the Liverpool fans to rally around whoever is selected rather than grumble about the absences

ADRIAN DENNIS / AFP

It has been a feature of Klopp’s reign that even when injuries have unsettled his plans, Liverpool have still found a way to perform. He expects the same now and said that his patched-up side would have to be on point as he hailed the “insane” job Rob Edwards had done in boosting Luton’s hopes of staying in the top flight.

“What I want to say is whatever line-up we have, I don’t want people in a situation where they are like, ‘Oh, he’s out, he’s out, he’s out,’ because a couple of players will be out. That is definitely the case,” Klopp said. 

Nyoni, left, was signed from Leicester last September

LIVERPOOL FC/LIVERPOOL FC VIA GETTY IMAGES

“It is bad luck, yes, but it is absolutely our job to be as strong as possible and if we play at home I have to ask for the support. If we are in a good mood and go for it but the crowd thinks, ‘Yes, but he would have scored there,’ then that is a problem. Whoever plays will run his socks off, that is clear.”

This win at Brentford is turning out to be our most costly win of this era. Key player and world class keeper injured in the lead up to the game. And then 2 players injured during the game and major doubts on 2 more after it.

Seems too high a price for 3pts. If we could, I would probably swap the win for a draw and have all those players fit for this crucial part of the season instead.

6 hours ago, Supremolad said:

This win at Brentford is turning out to be our most costly win of this era. Key player and world class keeper injured in the lead up to the game. And then 2 players injured during the game and major doubts on 2 more after it.

Seems too high a price for 3pts. If we could, I would probably swap the win for a draw and have all those players fit for this crucial part of the season instead.

I think we go light in the Southampton game - we have no choice. You never know one or two of the young lads could have a breakout game and become options for some games. I mean they won't all be like Conor, who looks a once in 10-15 year level talent, but if they could be a decent young player with big potential, then that would be amazing. 

I love a Cup run, but we need to win the next two in the League, to sit top for City. I'd love to beat the fuckers but a draw might just be the acceptable result, unless we get some good news on the injury front and they lose a few.

I hear what you're saying and I thought it myself, but I'd rather have points on the board. We're in the driving seat, whereas on Saturday, I thought City would beat Chelsea with ease and we could drop points to Brentford.

I’m coming around to the opinion that we need to play kids in the FA Cup game. It could greatly benefit our league and European campaigns. 

I’d imagine we’ll have Salah and Nunez on the bench in case we badly need them tonight. 

Badly need Szoboszlai back.

5 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I’m coming around to the opinion that we need to play kids in the FA Cup game. It could greatly benefit our league and European campaigns. 

I’d imagine we’ll have Salah and Nunez on the bench in case we badly need them tonight. 

Badly need Szoboszlai back.

That's an absolute given. Gamble we just have to take. Hopefully the youngsters will have enough to get us through. I don't think Southampton will be full strength either and we are at home. 

Main concern right now is making sure Salah is fit for Sunday.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smell The Glove said:

That's an absolute given. Gamble we just have to take. Hopefully the youngsters will have enough to get us through. I don't think Southampton will be full strength either and we are at home. 

Main concern right now is making sure Salah is fit for Sunday.

Yeah, the three points can come in any form tonight. 

The only reason to play anyone over the age of 15 in that FA Cup game is to help with match fitness, and even then it should only be for 20 minutes with the strict instruction they are not to tackle, be tackled, or touch the ball.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1