You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Norwich City 1 (Mar 2 2022)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

It ended up a bit closer than it needed to be but overall that was good. I enjoyed it. Making 10 changes against Premier League opposition (even if its the bottom side) is always a risk and has the potential to go wrong, but it never ceases to amaze me how it doesn’t matter how many changes we make now, we still look like Liverpool. 

That won’t always translate to results, but even when it doesn’t you can still recognise the usual style and patterns of play. It’s just different personnel, and often those coming in are not at the same level as the ones being replaced. That was the case here. Minamino on his best day isn’t Mo Salah, yet he didn’t need to be. Because the best version of himself is pretty fucking good isn’t it?

I absolutely love that we can bring in players like Taki, Kostas, Gomez, Konate, Jones, Div etc and still keep getting results. We won the League Cup doing that and hopefully we can do the same in the FA Cup too. 

The only player to keep his place from the weekend was Hendo. Not sure if that’s a compliment or something else really. He was only able to play in this because he was subbed after an hour or so against Chelsea, but then it’s also a sign of his importance that he was selected to provide stability and balance to a team with so many changes in it.

I think the main reason for his inclusion was that Klopp didn’t particularly want to include Tyler Morton from the start in a game when so many other players had been changed. It’s also possible that Morton wasn’t 100% fit after being forced off in a u23 game at the weekend. Either way, Hendo was needed and he delivered.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Great report again. Ox hit a post with a 2nd half shot as well.

This caught my eye though "The cross from Kostas was into a good area but there was no real danger until Jota cleverly backed into the defender to allow the ball to run past them both into the path of Origi." How did this escape the ref and VAR (not that I thought it should have been ruled out)? Virgil did less in the final on Sunday on Matip's goal yet they all said it was a foul!

Like I said, they make it up as they go along.

• Upvote 1

The only reservation I had was letting them nearly steal a draw after coasting it. Thanks to Alison for a top class save near the end. I hope that doesn’t prove our downfall as we have thrown away 2 goal leads several times this season. Klopp looked pissed off in his interview at the end ( I think) but smiled best he could whilst praising the team, possibly after bollocking them.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Great report again. Ox hit a post with a 2nd half shot as well.

This caught my eye though "The cross from Kostas was into a good area but there was no real danger until Jota cleverly backed into the defender to allow the ball to run past them both into the path of Origi." How did this escape the ref and VAR (not that I thought it should have been ruled out)? Virgil did less in the final on Sunday on Matip's goal yet they all said it was a foul!

Like I said, they make it up as they go along.

Virgil didn't commit a foul, he was offside and interfered with an opponent who was trying to get to the ball.

Jota was onside when he did that so it's fine.

• Upvote 1

As well as Harvey played in the second half, I thought that Curtis pretty much bossed the first half and gave the team an extra dimension going forward. 

MOTM for me, even though he only played 45.

I agree that the crowd was very quiet for most of the game - I thought that I was back watching a behind closed door COVID game.

• dave u unpinned this topic