You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Car bomb at the women’s hospital

Red74

13 minutes ago, Stickman said:

The bomber obviously deserved everything he got but I'm just a bit uncomfortable with all the lunchtime news channels showing effectively a clip of a man burning to death in car. 

I think there's a time and a place for showing stuff like that

One for your WhatsApp @Liverpool lad ?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

It would depend on the individual context but anything other than "watching" was my point. Watching at some point needs to translate into doing something before this kind of thing happens. 

Mate stuff liked this is stopped on a regular basis. Counter terrorism in this country is really fucking good. It's impossible to think that nothing will slip through the net from time to time. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

I’ve read a theory that only the detonator went off and not the main explosive which is why it was a relatively small blast. It was pretty small compared to other car bombs. The car was largely intact. 

Seems plausible. 

The Guardian’s defence and security editor, Dan Sabbagh, has spoken to an intelligence expert to understand Sunday’s incident:

A former military intelligence officer told the Guardian he believes Liverpool Women’s hospital “had an extremely lucky escape” because the explosive device in the taxi “clearly didn’t go off as the terrorist intended”.

Philip Ingram, a former colonel, has studied CCTV videos of the blast circulating on line and concluded that, if fully detonated, a bomb that close to the hospital would have “would have blown the windows out, bowed the roof [of the car] and the glass wave would likely have killed both and put hospital windows out”.

2 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

That was my original comment Nelly don't be an hysterical lunatic. 

Okay. Maybe you could commit to what you want doing then? Other than watching and successfully preventing a massive proportion of planned attacks, what else can be done if some get through the system and haven't broken any laws prior to embarking on an undetected attack? 

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Okay. Maybe you could commit to what you want doing then? Other than watching and successfully preventing a massive proportion of planned attacks, what else can be done if some get through the system and haven't broken any laws prior to embarking on an undetected attack? 

If we are preventing a massive proportion of planned attacks it suggests we have a problem.  This is progress. 

16 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

It would depend on the individual context but anything other than "watching" was my point. Watching at some point needs to translate into doing something before this kind of thing happens. 

The implication that attacks aren't stopped when more are than are not is one of the stupidest things that I've read on here. 

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I tell you what I withdraw my remark which I thought was entirely uncontroversial, it having even been made by people like George Galloway and even expressed in some of the left wing press. I now realise that the sentiment of wanting the police to be more proactive regarding people on terror watch lists was wrong and that the UK has an "acceptable" level of terror attacks.

Has that calmed your searing hysteria any?

2 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I tell you what I withdraw my remark which I thought was entirely uncontroversial, it having even been made by people like George Galloway and even expressed in some of the left wing press. I now realise that the sentiment of wanting the police to be more proactive regarding people on terror watch lists was wrong and that the UK has an "acceptable" level of terror attacks.

Has that calmed your searing hysteria any?

I'm not in a state of hysteria. 

I've simply asked you what you want done. If you can't provide a reasonable and practical solution, just say so. 

Just now, Nelly-Torres said:

I'm not in a state of hysteria. 

I've simply asked you what you want done. If you can't provide a reasonable and practical solution, just say so. 

Mate you brought up internment camps. 

Fine I don't have a reasonable and practical solution and was just expressing a sentiment. The sentiment that there seems to little intervention with many on the terror watch list which has swollen to 40,000 and that it is distressing, on the backend of things like this to find out that the suspects in question were being "watched." 

I don't see it as a very controversial sentiment but if it bothers you (god knows why) I withdraw it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Mate you brought up internment camps. 

Fine I don't have a reasonable and practical solution and was just expressing a sentiment. The sentiment that there seems to little intervention with many on the terror watch list which has swollen to 40,000 and that it is distressing, on the backend of things like this to find out that the suspects in question were being "watched." 

I don't see it as a very controversial sentiment but if it bothers you (god knows why) I withdraw it. 

You're silly. It doesn't bother me. It just seemed like a silly and inaccurate statement. Even a bit hysterical, if you will. 

It's that "we have to be lucky all the time..." statement in action. Sadly, that's just the way it is. Plus, it may even be a moot point regarding this incident. Has it been confirmed that this lot were on any sort of watch list? 

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

You're silly. It doesn't bother me. It just seemed like a silly and inaccurate statement. Even a bit hysterical, if you will. 

It's that "we have to be lucky all the time..." statement in action. Sadly, that's just the way it is. Plus, it may even be a moot point regarding this incident. Has it been confirmed that this lot were on any sort of watch list? 

Believe me or not but I didn't expect my original post to be controversial in the slightest. That it was is pretty bizarre to me but whatever. 

I actually don't think they were on a watchlist but my point was more in general. Lesson learned though I'll be more careful about besmirching terror suspects around here in future. 

37 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Telegraph are claiming he was of "Middle Eastern background" (cue the online back patting) but his nationality remains unclear. They also state that he wasn't on an MI5 watch list so was unlikely to have been subject to monitoring. 

Why would there be back patting for this? Did you believe he wouldn't be?

Re: Nationality - what difference does that make?

• Upvote 1