You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Plymouth Shootings

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Okay, but you did say "Anyone who intentionally kills a child is evil". So long as you agree that there are exceptions to the rule, I'm satisfied.

56 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Well obviously strapping a bomb to them is evil, but I'm talking about someone who shoots a child suicide bomber to prevent detonation. Or any other child who is armed for that matter, since it is quite common in some conflicts to use child combatants. I don't think you wait to see a passport if a youth has an AK aimed at you.

? what the fuck is up with you? 

17 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Sorry if this has already been pointed out but why is this cunts face all over the media?Fuck him and his disgusting cause if he has one. No doubt journalists will be eager as fuck to spout his cause. Cunt press

I listened to a snatch of a programme today (think it was LBC) and a local reporter said they’d changed tack on events like this based on the reporting by the MEN after the arena bomber.  No sensationalism, no second guessing and no door stepping. Just reporting facts and looking to support the local population. 

1 hour ago, Elite said:

If they didn't they'd have been killed themselves. I want examples of people that chose to commit acts of evil, not out of fear.

Lots of people every week at a low level, hitting their child, abusing their pets. Not necessarily going to turn into killers, but. 

This lad in Plymouth, he may have never hurt a fly for 22 years until this week.  

I can't defend his actions, all I can do is highlight a very likely potential for him to have never done this had he received some help. 

He doesn't strike me as being Anders Breivik. It seemed like a solitary act of violence against his mum, his only plan, and then the last 12 minutes he could face being that person and how angry and separated from reality he was.  

Ausmtism is a crass word to describe something we don't really understand within the human psyche. I think we're ALL 'on the spectrum', but some people are...I dunno...capable of shuffling through life for 22 years as a 'normal' person and then exploding? 

Don't take the low road, of course what he done was vile, i know that, you know that, I've got kids, this is the stuff of nightmares for me. 

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

Though it was spot on tbh

I think labelling him as evil,without obviously condoning his horrendous actions, is far too simplistic.

The mail has his labelled today as a virgin loner,as obviously they have no interest in what actually led him to this point aswell as,rather ironically considering their conservative attitude,using Tue word virgin in a derogatory manner

The Mail, in my opinion, is evil.

I don't get this proof of mentally ill thing. I got to page 4 catching up then stopped. I saw that it's clear on here that killing a child with a shotgun means he was evil and I agree 100%, you'd have to be insane to think anything else. I also think it's 100% proof that the guy was mentally ill. Nobody who's not mentally ill kills a child with a shotgun, or any other innocent person.

The killings to me are the proof of illness, nothing else is needed.

Mental illness on his part doesn't make it any less evil, it's not meant to excuse him in any way. It's maybe best as a pointer though that by focusing more on the state these guys are in before they do shit like this might help save lives in the future. If we're going down the route that these killers have to be 100% evil though and nothing can change them, that they can never be reformed, then what hope do we have? I can't think like that personally.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dr Nowt said:

In my opinion, you can confidently label behaviour and actions evil, but without knowing the full details behind what prompted someone to commit them, including how much criminal capacity they would be legally judged to have if they were alive to be assessed, you can’t really pontificate accurately about whether someone is or isn’t inherently and intentionally evil themselves.

What about a schizophrenic, who thinks they’re hearing voices instructing them to kill someone and does so? Are they innately evil? No idea what this individual’s backstory is, but for me there is an uncomfortable element to the way new offenders like this are immediately spoken about definitively from a distance by essentially armchair pundits without all the information or qualifications to make such pronouncements. He might be a total sadist who enjoys watching people suffer pain and has set out hoping to murder a child this week. He might be at the very far end of mental illness such that, were he alive to be assessed by qualified professionals, he would be deemed not to have criminal capacity for his actions. He may have broken with reality entirely and lost his mind. We just don’t know, and may well never do.

There are a complex set of strands creating offenders like this, which may or may not include serious mental illness, and without being privy to the full details it’s a bit reductionist and simplistic to pontificate about someone being ‘evil’. It’s got tones of going on about how much you’d like to batter a paedophile or rubbing your hands together about the offender of a particular grisly crime being raped in prison. It’s often done to angrily express offence at decency having been stained, but it’s ironically not in itself a particularly decent attitude and a bit ‘hang ‘em high’ for my liking.

Also, mental health and mental illness are a spectrum. There is an absolute world of difference between the depression/anxiety many of us have had unpleasant experiences with and mental illnesses causing for example paranoid delusions. Just because I’ve had depressive episodes off and on throughout my life, I don’t feel like the limits of my own behaviour when in that state are representative of all the mental disorders out there or the range of ways people may behave while experiencing them. Of course, he may not have been experiencing any. We don’t know. It’s alright to reserve some judgement on these things sometimes, acknowledging that we simply don’t know everything that lay behind a tragedy of this magnitude. 

His actions, though? Absolutely unspeakably horrific and evil, yes, obviously.

Yep, good points. I should've read on instead of stopping at page 4.

That's actually closer to how I see it but I didn't think anyone had gone into it like this so didn't want to start coming across like I was being contrarian for the sake of it. I already feel like I'm arguing for the fact that he was mentally ill so didn't want to risk stirring anything else up by questioning the evil aspect too.

So I'll more accurately add three words to my previous post :

I saw that it's clear on here that killing a child with a shotgun means that what he did was evil and I agree 100%, you'd have to be insane to think anything else. I also think it's 100% proof that the guy was mentally ill. Nobody who's not mentally ill kills a child with a shotgun, or any other innocent person.

Without reading the thread and being incredibly drunk, in my unprofessional opinion, I’d class him as nothing more than a fucking shithouse who once he had his hands on that gun, gained an unearned confidence that he was

just waiting for an opportunity to use on innocent defenceless people. Nothing more than a fucking pathetic frustrated coward. 

7 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yep, good points. I should've read on instead of stopping at page 4.

That's actually closer to how I see it but I didn't think anyone had gone into it like this so didn't want to start coming across like I was being contrarian for the sake of it. I already feel like I'm arguing for the fact that he was mentally ill so didn't want to risk stirring anything else up by questioning the evil aspect too.

So I'll more accurately add three words to my previous post :

I saw that it's clear on here that killing a child with a shotgun means that what he did was evil and I agree 100%, you'd have to be insane to think anything else. I also think it's 100% proof that the guy was mentally ill. Nobody who's not mentally ill kills a child with a shotgun, or any other innocent person.

Are all terrorists mentally ill then?  Someone who blows up a plane knowing there are kids on it? 

10 hours ago, Elite said:

I'm confused what point you're trying to make in this thread. You don't think he's evil and you don't think he's mentally ill, so what do you think? Genuinely curious. Sent with peace (I'm not trying to antagonise you).

As Dr N has demonstrated its not an answer I can give in a couple of lines. I want to try and answer your questions but am at work. I will get back to you

• Upvote 1

Someone nailed it above.

No one in this country needs a gun.

If you want to use one ,go to a club.

If that is enforced, no matter how damaged some people are,horrific events like this dont happen.

I'm just thankful things like this see not commonplace, like in America.

• Upvote 1

There’s a homeopath on Twitter called Alan Freestone who has been tweeting that the “women of Plymouth share some responsibility for this”. Almost unbelievable that somebody would think this when 5 innocent adults and a 3 year little girl has been killed.  Still he’s a homeopath so not the brightest star in the sky. 

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Are all terrorists mentally ill then?  Someone who blows up a plane knowing there are kids on it? 

I think so, yeah. Someone who can take the lives of innocents isn't any type of mentally sound person to me. I'm fine with people disagreeing too (it's not something I'm going to continually argue about), it's only my own view on it.

• Upvote 1