You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

well you see we have the same recruitment lead as when klopp joined. edwards wasn't so smart at finding players who suited his manager prior to October 2015. it's worked when klopp joined. klopp has also been able to get a tune out of some of the players in the squad who he inherited - firmino, milner and henderson have been crucial. Gomez and Lovren have played important parts. In fact in the dressing room Lallana would have also have seemed important. So if you mean klopp is also really good at knowing which players to take and not take from the recruitment team, you're dead right. and do you know why that is? Because klopp is fucking brilliant. When klopp arrived here, we were a mediocre team and less than mediocre recruitment - but klopp raises the level of everybody around him. 

These are the players that cam in during the 3 years prior to klopp joining (which iirc is when edwards promoted after comolli was fired). Now if you think Klopp has not had a major impact on the quality of our recruitment, good for you. I would suggest we didn't have a fucking clue what we were doing before klopp arrived and this list of players below shows that. 

Transfers in[edit]

Entry date Position No. Player From club Fee
22 June 2013 AM 6 Spain Luis Alberto Spain Sevilla £6,800,000[20]
23 June 2013 FW 9 Spain Iago Aspas Spain Celta Vigo £7,000,000[21]
27 June 2013 GK 22 Belgium Simon Mignolet England Sunderland £9,000,000[22]
2 July 2013 CB 4 Ivory Coast Kolo Touré England Manchester City Free[23]
2 September 2013 CB 26 Portugal Tiago Ilori Portugal Sporting CP £7,000,000[24]
2 September 2013 CB 17 France Mamadou Sakho France Paris Saint Germain £15,000,000[25]

Loans in[edit]

Start date End date Position No. Player From club
20 August 2013 31 May 2014 LB 20 France Aly Cissokho Spain Valencia[26]
2 September 2013 31 May 2014 LW 12 Nigeria Victor Moses

England Chelsea[27]

Transfers in[edit]

Entry date Position No. Player From club Fee Ref
1 July 2014 FW 9 England Rickie Lambert England Southampton £4,000,000 [3]
1 July 2014 MF 20 England Adam Lallana England Southampton £25,000,000 [4]
3 July 2014 MF 23 Germany Emre Can Germany Bayer Leverkusen £10,000,000 [5]
15 July 2014 MF 50 Serbia Lazar Marković Portugal Benfica £20,000,000 [6]
27 July 2014 DF 6 Croatia Dejan Lovren England Southampton £20,000,000 [7]
29 July 2014 FW Belgium Divock Origi France Lille £10,000,000 [8]
16 August 2014 DF 18 Spain Alberto Moreno Spain Sevilla £12,000,000 [9]
25 August 2014 FW 45 Italy Mario Balotelli Italy Milan £16,000,000 [10]
Total transfer spending £117,000,000

Loans in[edit]

Start date End date Position No. Player From club Ref
6 August 2014 31 May 2016 DF 19 Spain Javier Manquillo Spain Atlético Madrid [11]

Transfers in[edit]

Entry date Position No. Player From club Fee Ref.
20 June 2015 CB 12 England Joe Gomez England Charlton Athletic £3,500,000 [95]
1 July 2015 RM 7 England James Milner England Manchester City Free [96]
1 July 2015 FW 28 England Danny Ings England Burnley £6,500,000[A] [97]
1 July 2015 GK 34 Hungary Ádám Bogdán England Bolton Wanderers Free [98]
1 July 2015 AM 11 Brazil Roberto Firmino Germany 1899 Hoffenheim £21,300,000 [99]
1 July 2015 RB 2 England Nathaniel Clyne England Southampton £10,000,000[C] [100]
22 July 2015 FW 9 Belgium Christian Benteke England Aston Villa £32,500,000 [101]

Total £73,800,000

Klopp is a better manager than Rodgers, but there is also a far better working relationship between Klopp and Edwards. If the recruitment people were truly incompetent, they would have been thrown out by now, but the reason it works so well is because of this relationship. That's not all that common in football.

The Rodgers thing has been done to death, but I imagine working with him must have been infuriating. Buying Benteke as a courtesy to him because you want to buy Firmino is an unworkable situation. That was absurd. And another thing, Rodgers had no style of football. He'd change his approach every year and would do stuff midseason like go to a back 3 out of the blue. He had Markovic at wing back at one point. I mean Markovic wasn't any good, but how are you supposed to buy for a guy that will pull tactics out of his ass on a whim like that? 

Anyway, the point is that it's a symbiotic relationship. Klopp's talents have been boosted by our recruitment and vice versa. That's how things go right in the long run at a football club in general. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

well you see we have the same recruitment lead as when klopp joined. edwards wasn't so smart at finding players who suited his manager prior to October 2015. it's worked when klopp joined. klopp has also been able to get a tune out of some of the players in the squad who he inherited - firmino, milner and henderson have been crucial. Gomez and Lovren have played important parts. In fact in the dressing room Lallana would have also have seemed important. So if you mean klopp is also really good at knowing which players to take and not take from the recruitment team, you're dead right. and do you know why that is? Because klopp is fucking brilliant. When klopp arrived here, we were a mediocre team and less than mediocre recruitment - but klopp raises the level of everybody around him. 

These are the players that came in during the 3 years prior to klopp joining (which iirc is when edwards promoted after comolli was fired). Now if you think Klopp has not had a major impact on the quality of our recruitment, good for you. I would suggest we didn't have a fucking clue what we were doing before klopp arrived and this list of players below shows that. 

Transfers in[edit]

Entry date Position No. Player From club Fee
22 June 2013 AM 6 Spain Luis Alberto Spain Sevilla £6,800,000[20]
23 June 2013 FW 9 Spain Iago Aspas Spain Celta Vigo £7,000,000[21]
27 June 2013 GK 22 Belgium Simon Mignolet England Sunderland £9,000,000[22]
2 July 2013 CB 4 Ivory Coast Kolo Touré England Manchester City Free[23]
2 September 2013 CB 26 Portugal Tiago Ilori Portugal Sporting CP £7,000,000[24]
2 September 2013 CB 17 France Mamadou Sakho France Paris Saint Germain £15,000,000[25]

Loans in[edit]

Start date End date Position No. Player From club
20 August 2013 31 May 2014 LB 20 France Aly Cissokho Spain Valencia[26]
2 September 2013 31 May 2014 LW 12 Nigeria Victor Moses

England Chelsea[27]

Transfers in[edit]

Entry date Position No. Player From club Fee Ref
1 July 2014 FW 9 England Rickie Lambert England Southampton £4,000,000 [3]
1 July 2014 MF 20 England Adam Lallana England Southampton £25,000,000 [4]
3 July 2014 MF 23 Germany Emre Can Germany Bayer Leverkusen £10,000,000 [5]
15 July 2014 MF 50 Serbia Lazar Marković Portugal Benfica £20,000,000 [6]
27 July 2014 DF 6 Croatia Dejan Lovren England Southampton £20,000,000 [7]
29 July 2014 FW Belgium Divock Origi France Lille £10,000,000 [8]
16 August 2014 DF 18 Spain Alberto Moreno Spain Sevilla £12,000,000 [9]
25 August 2014 FW 45 Italy Mario Balotelli Italy Milan £16,000,000 [10]
Total transfer spending £117,000,000

Loans in[edit]

Start date End date Position No. Player From club Ref
6 August 2014 31 May 2016 DF 19 Spain Javier Manquillo Spain Atlético Madrid [11]

Transfers in[edit]

Entry date Position No. Player From club Fee Ref.
20 June 2015 CB 12 England Joe Gomez England Charlton Athletic £3,500,000 [95]
1 July 2015 RM 7 England James Milner England Manchester City Free [96]
1 July 2015 FW 28 England Danny Ings England Burnley £6,500,000[A] [97]
1 July 2015 GK 34 Hungary Ádám Bogdán England Bolton Wanderers Free [98]
1 July 2015 AM 11 Brazil Roberto Firmino Germany 1899 Hoffenheim £21,300,000 [99]
1 July 2015 RB 2 England Nathaniel Clyne England Southampton £10,000,000[C] [100]
22 July 2015 FW 9 Belgium Christian Benteke England Aston Villa £32,500,000 [101]

Total £73,800,000

That list isn't actually that bad. I remembered it being a lot worse. £73m total spend and Klopp used 11 of them fairly regularly to help get us to our current position. He made a good few quid from the rest.

24 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Klopp is a better manager than Rodgers, but there is also a far better working relationship between Klopp and Edwards. If the recruitment people were truly incompetent, they would have been thrown out by now, but the reason it works so well is because of this relationship. That's not all that common in football.

The Rodgers thing has been done to death, but I imagine working with him must have been infuriating. Buying Benteke as a courtesy to him because you want to buy Firmino is an unworkable situation. That was absurd. And another thing, Rodgers had no style of football. He'd change his approach every year and would do stuff midseason like go to a back 3 out of the blue. He had Markovic at wing back at one point. I mean Markovic wasn't any good, but how are you supposed to buy for a guy that will pull tactics out of his ass on a whim like that? 

Anyway, the point is that it's a symbiotic relationship. Klopp's talents have been boosted by our recruitment and vice versa. That's how things go right in the long run at a football club in general. 

so my view is there's a constant to all the improvement at LFC. everyone around the club got better when klopp joined. even the crowd is better, he made us raise our game. i would imagine the tea is better (in fact i seem to remember a story of him lashing out the coffee machine or something because it made shite coffee and they had to replace it with a good one, but i feel sure whoever makes the coffee will be remember for the good cuppa at melwood).  So edwards might be good at his job now, but he clearly wasn't then because he was incapable of making his relationship work, which is part of the job. and you can slate rodgers all you like (i am no fan of his btw), but it would seem he is a highly regarded manager in the game, so surely it's not all his fault? 

it is really difficult to find brilliant leaders who also have the ability to do their main job (in any industry). My opinion is really clear on this, klopp makes everyone do their jobs better. Some of them like VVD for example, might have become leading stars regardless of klopp's involvement. But others (edwards, trent, robbo, henderson, salah, mane, firmini, gini, linjders) have all benefited from the world leading leadership klopp brings. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Bayern we're shite at the start of this season. 

We were shite when klopp joined. And actually I said he's taken a bunch of top 4 quality players to champions. 

We wouldn't have won a carrot under pochettino with this group of players, assuming pochettino had been our manager from when Rodgers was fired. 

Another point re Bayern they were on the way down apparently when we beat them easily and they were shite apparently. Basically the same ageing side won the CL this year, it shows what a team actually playing for a manager can do ( they should always) and that our so called older players are not as old as we think.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, No2 said:

That list isn't actually that bad. I remembered it being a lot worse. £73m total spend and Klopp used 11 of them fairly regularly to help get us to our current position. He made a good few quid from the rest.

I don't dispute klopp used some. but how many were performing at an anywhere decent level before klopp? this is my entire point, there's no two way street with this. Klopp is absolutely world leading in what he does and it allows other talented, but ultimately less than world leading to appear world leading.

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

Is there a single person disputing this?

yes, @3 Stacks and @aRdja would appear to be doing so. they believe we would be world class regardless. i think we've a probable top 4-ish team regardless of manager as most of the players and recruitment would not have reached the levels we have without klopp. and in fact we probably wouldn't have bought most of them. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Another point re Bayern they were on the way down apparently when we beat them easily and they were shite apparently. Basically the same ageing side won the CL this year, it shows what a team actually playing for a manager can do ( they should always) and that our so called older players are not as old as we think.

That side below that we beat was good but it had one or two too many players who's legs had gone. All the replacements bar Muller were faster, younger and worked harder.

I would look at Barcelona in much the same way, one or 2 players that can run would transform that side.

20200902_124320.jpg

Hansi Flick has worked wonders at Bayern considering he wasnt a stellar manager when he was appointed. It's pretty obvious the better managers are in tune with their players and get the best out of them when only months before, the same players might have looked hopeless under the previous incumbent.

Will be interesting to see how Flick goes next season. His players seem to have bought into his management style so you'd expect Bayern to remain the team to beat in Germany.

11 minutes ago, No2 said:

That side below that we beat was good but it had one or two too many players who's legs had gone. All the replacements bar Muller were faster, younger and worked harder.

I would look at Barcelona in much the same way, one or 2 players that can run would transform that side.

20200902_124320.jpg

The players attitude completely changed when Herr Flick came in as you know it happens a lot. Davies and Kimmich have made a big difference but Boateng and Mueller have a new lease of life, Lewandowski the season of his life. 

2 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

The players attitude completely changed when Herr Flick came in as you know it happens a lot. Davies and Kimmich have made a big difference but Boateng and Mueller have a new lease of life, Lewandowski the season of his life. 

and even neuer looks a world class keeper again when before he was starting to appear like he'd had his day. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

yes, @3 Stacks and @aRdja would appear to be doing so. they believe we would be world class regardless. i think we've a probable top 4-ish team regardless of manager as most of the players and recruitment would not have reached the levels we have without klopp. and in fact we probably wouldn't have bought most of them. 

I didn't say that. I said Edwards and the club are good at what they do and the healthy working relationship with Klopp, along with his ability, is what has put us over the top. If they weren't good in the first place, or if there had been discord between Klopp and them, it wouldn't have worked.

22 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I didn't say that. I said Edwards and the club are good at what they do and the healthy working relationship with Klopp, along with his ability, is what has put us over the top. If they weren't good in the first place, or if there had been discord between Klopp and them, it wouldn't have worked.

so i disagree they were good in the 1st place. i think they have a body of work that has proved that. that doesn't mean they were incapable, it means they weren't good then. klopp has with them, like he has with everyone around him,  improved them beyond recognition. klopp took over when we were mid-table and quite poor. and i believe at that point our recruitment was even worse than the team. 

In other words

Nobody will pay the fee wanted and he will leave October 1st on a loan or January at the latest. 

So we go into the season with Miamino and the likes of a perms crocked Shaqiri, 17 year old Harvey Elliot with a full 7 minutes of top league action, a player Bournemouth dropped come the tail end of the season and Origi as back up.