You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Can of worms  that though, people talking about immune responses would argue that the initial lockdown is what will lead to higher death rates in the second wave, as lockdowns 'kick the can down the road' into winter when other diseases are running wild and most people are indoors (not that I'm saying it was the wrong thing to do, NHS was under the kosh and you play the cards you're dealt). 

It's interesting though that places that weren't hit so bad in March are being hit hard now, and places that were aren't being hit as bad -  like New York and London. Maybe the virus ripped through those places and enough people have some kind of defence to break the chain of infection and turn it into pockets, rather than a wild fire. 

Isn't that basically what happened with Spanish flu? In the first wave they deployed mitigation measures like masks, social distancing etc and in the winter it came back for a second go and fucking hammered everyone, it eventually went away because everyone by then fell into two categories - they'd either had it and built up an immunity to it, or they were dead. 

Personally I think the change to cold weather has triggered the virus that was dying away. People who would usually get poorly at this time of year have picked it up and thats where the suffering is. I do also blame idiots not following basic rules. I include businesses in that (Pubs, bars not adhering to the rules set) 

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

Journalists are experts on T-Cells now are they?

Astounding hypocrisy when you have been posting 'studies' by journalists for months to back up your claims. 

2 hours ago, Jedd Drudge said:

You wouldn’t recognise pity if it slapped you in the face. You’ve chosen trying to be right over compassion. You wanted a death pool of forum members for COVID, you’re a genuinely sad person that barely anyone on here has any time for. That they still managed to engage with you shows how decent they are, after some of the evil stuff you’ve done and said.

I don’t pity you, you’re a disgrace and a scumbag. To think on the old forum you once messaged me with a creepy message about how you thought I was the best poster on the forum, nothing to do with a massive rep and neg power back in those days I’m sure. I had your number years ago.

I don’t care about some random number of red or green, you do. Shame you don’t show the same level of care for human lives when you’re trying to be right. 

It goes without saying that none of this is true. Why lie like this? Such obvious lies too. Wanting a death pool of forum members, fucking hell.

I don't even know who you are/were, you've kept that very close to your chest for reasons others can speculate about, however I've never messaged anyone to tell them how great they were, and I'm sure the idea you were some kind of rep king is pure fantasy too.

Said from the beginning that more people will die from our response to covid than covid itself, so quite how that translates to not caring about human lives is mystifying, given that a desire to minimise the human cost is central to everything I've written on this topic.

Absolutely fucking odd and bizarre.

On 12/03/2020 at 19:04, Strontium Dog™ said:

Are we doing a sweep on the number of deaths?

Correction, a sweep on the number of deaths so I was wrong about the forum members. I replied at the time that many people on here could lose loved ones so it was a poor idea. 

Sums up your unfeeling attitude to all of this. You just want to argue you’re right while people suffer, you should be a politician. 

Maybe I don’t want some scumbag trying to get me sacked for calling out a cry bully on the internet. 

20 minutes ago, No2 said:

Koch plays for Leeds. T-Cells sponsor Bayern Munich. I'm confused now.

Your confused ? I'm still getting to grips with the information some posters watch university challenge. Although thinking back I might be able to match our Rico on this one, I used to watch the sky at night with Patrick Moore, although only because it used to be the last thing on the tele before the test card kid told you to fuck off to bed.

6 minutes ago, Jedd Drudge said:

Correction, a sweep on the number of deaths. I replied at the time that many people on here could lose loved ones so it was a poor idea.

I mean, if you've followed me as religiously as you claim over the years, or even if you just read my follow up post to you (which you quoted at the time), you'd know how dark my sense of humour is.

Nevertheless, I'm glad we were able to establish that what you wrote about me was untrue.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I mean, if you've followed me as religiously as you claim over the years, or even if you just read my follow up post to you (which you quoted at the time), you'd know how dark my sense of humour is.

Nevertheless, I'm glad we were able to establish that what you wrote about me was untrue.

I’m happy to admit when I am wrong, some aren’t. 

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

When I watch University Challenge I grab on the one word in the question I understand. So, the question might be about say, black holes. I know fuck all about them but I know that there’s something called an event horizon. So I’ll shout ‘event horizon’ despite there being very little chance of me being right, or even understanding question. 

I got 14 correct answers on University Challenge last week. I was well chuffed with myself. 

On the topic of masks not being effective, people saying that also complain that they are uncomfortable and cause overheating as air gets trapped in the pocket between face and mask. It's a rather simple point (and may be easily refutable) but surely if air isn't escaping from the mask as freely as air would when breathing normally, without a mask, then surely the hypothesis that mask wearing reduces the chance of Covid-19 carriers expelling particles on to others (if some air is trapped by a mask?) holds some water and shouldn't just be flippantly dismissed?