You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

You could see this coming a mile away. Just as lockdown is being lifted lo and behold a new variant comes along and they're talking about delaying lifting lockdown.

They are taking the fucking piss now as viruses mutate which isn't something new and locking down the country again is madness. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Leyton388 said:

You could see this coming a mile away. Just as lockdown is being lifted lo and behold a new variant comes along and they're talking about delaying lifting lockdown.

They are taking the fucking piss now as viruses mutate which isn't something new and locking down the country again is madness. 

Spot on

Just now, Captain Howdy said:

Watch the press conference, it was writ large

Nah I was walking the dog. I'd rather try and decipher what was actually said from this evenings posts on here. Saves me having to talk to the missus. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Nah I was walking the dog. I'd rather try and decipher what was actually said from this evenings posts on here. Saves me having to talk to the missus. 

Tosspot Johnson saying “ I have to level with you the India variant poses a real threat to easing lockdown” Whitty almost unable to contain himself, only one way this is going.

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Tosspot Johnson saying “ I have to level with you the India variant poses a real threat to easing lockdown” Whitty almost unable to contain himself, only one way this is ending up.

I don't get the "Whitty almost unable to contain himself" and the shit he's getting on twitter. He's an expert and has to present the correct information and suggest the safest plan of action, Johnson then decides what to do. If he'd played it all down last year and we lost 4 times the mount of lives people would be asking for him to be hung. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I don't get the "Whitty almost unable to contain himself" and the shit he's getting on twitter. He's an expert and has to present the correct information and suggest the safest plan of action. If he'd played it all down last year and we lost 4 times the mount of lives people would be asking for him to be hung. 

Depends on your viewpoint I suppose. I’ve always been of the opinion that lockdown will ultimately end in more devastation than the virus however at the beginning I could understand the call and I supported it, not now though, lockdown has to end. Just as an example I read that cancer diagnosis are massively down in Scotland, you don’t have to be Einstein to see the heartache being stowed there, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg, economic Armageddon, mental health etc it goes on and on, If he locks down again I won’t support it.

10 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

This variant is likely to be much more transmissable than even the Kent variant and it's not yet fully known if the current vaccines are effective against it. This is why they're worried- https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/14/india-covid-variant-could-lead-to-third-wave-uk

If we have to lockdown again, then that's utter shit, but we've seen the consequences of not taking action several times before- we end up having to shut down for longer to get it under control.

India variant could lead to serious third wave of Covid in UK
Analysis: If B.1.617.2 proves highly transmissible, hospitalisations could peak again, models show

It was all looking so good. After a brutal second wave in the winter, the lockdown combined with the swift rollout of vaccines forced infections, hospitalisations and deaths down to levels not seen since last summer. The vaccines performed better than expected, not only in preventing deaths, but in hampering the spread of the virus. Scientific advisers were confident about England’s cautious roadmap back to a life more normal: the worst, it seemed, was over.

Now, those same advisers are deeply worried that the new variant of concern from India, B.1.617.2, could undermine the hard-won achievement. The government strategy has been to ease restrictions as vaccines reach more people, aiming for a delicate balance that opens up society while preventing another wave that overwhelms the NHS.

Without the new variant, outbreak modellers advising Sage anticipated a modest third wave in July and August, with perhaps 4,000 to 11,000 more deaths, but nothing on the scale of the devastating winter wave.

But the new variant is here. What that means is still uncertain. Take the outbreak in Bolton and surrounding areas out of the picture and the situation in England looks far less alarming, suggesting the region may be an outlier. Yet some scientists working on B.1.617.2 believe it is destined to displace the dominant and highly transmissible Kent variant, B.1.1.7, in the UK and note that charts displaying the steep rise in cases look horribly similar to those that tracked the surge of the Kent variant in December.

Their concerns are backed by the Sage committee, which advised ministers on 5 May that pushing down cases of variant infections was now a “priority for policy”. A highly transmissible variant – one that spreads more easily than the Kent variant – “could lead to a very significant wave of infections, potentially larger than that seen in January 2021 if there were no interventions,” the experts said.

Epidemiologists are still wrestling with how transmissible the India variant of concern is. Public Health England believes it is at least as transmissible as the Kent variant, but preliminary work based on genome sequencing in India raises the prospect of it spreading up to 60% more easily.

To get some idea of what a faster-spreading variant could mean for the months ahead, modelling teams that feed into Sage worked up different scenarios. Assuming the vaccines hold up, more people could be hospitalised than in the first wave – putting the NHS at risk – if the variant is much more than 30% more transmissible, University of Warwick models show. At 40% more transmissible, hospitalisations could reach 6,000 per day, far above the peak of the second wave, and 10,000 per day if the variant is 50% more transmissible.

That is if we do nothing. If step three easing of restrictions in England on Monday is cancelled, the third wave will be far more modest, reaching 300 hospitalisations per day, even if the virus spreads 50% more easily than the Kent version. Holding off on step four on 21 June may be less effective: under that scenario a variant little more than 40% more transmissible could trigger more daily hospitalisations than seen in either UK waves so far.

A third wave of the coronavirus will drive people into hospital despite the mass vaccination programme. While the vast majority of older and more vulnerable people have been inoculated, the vaccines are not 100% protective, and do not work in everyone. As a result, scientific advisers expect many of those hospitalised in the third wave to be vaccinated, just not well protected from their shots.

Millions more have not yet been called for their jabs. Among those will be people unaware they are clinically vulnerable. And so more deaths will duly follow. Modelling from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, seen by Sage on 5 May, found that a 50% more transmissible variant could trigger a third wave with deaths peaking at 1,000 per day in late July. We have not seen those kinds of numbers since February.

Deaths are not all that matters. The decision to vaccinate older people first was based on saving lives and preventing the collapse of the NHS. The trade-off is more infections in younger, healthy people, and while they are much less likely to die from the disease they are at real risk of long Covid, in which patients continue to suffer from fatigue, brain fog and other debilitating symptoms long after they have overcome the virus itself.

So far, surge testing for B.1.617.2 and telling infected people and their contacts to isolate has not brought the variant under control, but it is a crucial part of the effort. Beyond this, ministers are looking to ramp up vaccinations in outbreak areas. In theory this could help by getting jabs to the old and vulnerable who have so far not come forward, and by slowing transmission, particularly if the vaccines are given to younger people who mix more.

But the protection from a vaccine comes two to three weeks after having the shot, by which time the variant may have spread far beyond the main clusters to areas where cases are still low. It may backfire if vaccines are diverted from low case regions to where the variant is now rife. The decision for ministers is how best to use the vaccine, and the answer is not straightforward.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Captain Howdy said:

Depends on your viewpoint I suppose. I’ve always been of the opinion that lockdown will ultimately end in more devastation than the virus however at the beginning I could understand the call and I supported it, not now though, lockdown has to end. Just as an example I read that cancer diagnosis are massively down in Scotland, you don’t have to be Einstein to see the heartache being stowed there, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg, economic Armageddon, mental health etc it goes on and on, If he locks down again I won’t support it.

Oh I don't think we should have another lockdown either mate unless we see a huge spike like after xmas (which I don't think we will at all ) but I can't get my head around the shit people give someone who clearly knows far more about this than most and whose job is to quantify the risk and make people aware of every aspect. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Oh I don't think we should have another lockdown either mate unless we see a huge spike like after xmas (which I don't think we will at all ) but I can't get my head around the shit people give someone who clearly knows far more about this than most and whose job is to quantify the risk and make people aware of every aspect. 

I guess it’s a shoot the messenger thing, he constantly talks doom and gloom so people associate him with bleakness and everyone is sick to the back teeth of bleakness.

3 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I guess it’s a shoot the messenger thing, he constantly talks doom and gloom so people associate him with bleakness and everyone is sick to the back teeth of bleakness.

I prefer my experts to be honest. If it's doom & gloom yeah it's a drag but it's not his fault. He will know people are being pricks about him so credit to him for still delivering the scientific message and not trying to please everyone with bullshit like the floppy haired twat. 

33 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Who are “they”? The government? Why  would they want to lock down the country again?

7 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Because they want you fucking locked down. Agenda 2030.

I think Johnson is mindful of and is thinking ahead to the enquiry, I know people think him an idiot but no idiot ever got to be Prime Minister I’m afraid, he wants to be seen as “ listening to the science” to counteract his early fuck ups so he doesn’t get barbecued.

On 12/05/2021 at 19:55, belarus said:

What debate is that mate?

I’m being genuinely interested asking that. What debate was that graph with Sweden in relation to? 

I thought the debate was about whether Sweden even had a lockdown, but I read that post with the graph as “proof” that lockdown works because of Sweden’s numbers, suggesting it is common knowledge that they didn’t lockdown and that’s the result?

Is there multi-layered debates on it?

The Guardian has been hysterically shit stirring from day one. Every evidence of more death and destruction has been gleefully ramped up. There is no evidence the India strain is more virulent - India fucking stupidly held a religious festival in a pandemic with no restrictions in place. It was a super spreader event - of course the numbers are off the scale, it isn't evidence it is more virulent. 

Some people want zero covid and that is all they will accept, doctors are not arsed about the economic effect another lockdown will have, that isn't their job. Deaths are not increasing and neither are hospitalisation numbers. I've lost family to this and nobody can tell me the response is humane. Necessary I agree, but it isn't humane. 

The guardian was adamant the schools opening will lead to an increase, it never, they were adamant the shops and outdoor drinking will lead to an increase, it never. 

They and fake SAGE can fuck off. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I think Johnson is mindful of and is thinking ahead to the enquiry, I know people think him an idiot but no idiot ever got to be Prime Minister I’m afraid, he wants to be seen as “ listening to the science” to counteract his early fuck ups so he doesn’t get barbecued.

Possibly. But all this stuff you see, the green agenda, Universal credit, economy change it seems to be all part of the same vision.

17 minutes ago, Champ said:

Why would ‘they’ when we can’t be earning them millions 

They are already rich. This is about the one percent, power and control. You don't need to make them millions if you are in shitty jobs on universal credit and under control. look at the chinese system. They reward you with being complicit in everything, its sinister as heck. You've been a bad citizen this month, no money, no internet and a travel restriction for you.