Quantcast
2018/19 Season Report Card - James Milner - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tlw content

2018/19 Season Report Card - James Milner

He’s great. I love him. This is going to be a difficult one to do though because James Milner is one of the trickiest players to evaluate.

Virtually every performance from him is the same. There are no wild fluctuations in form, no real highs or lows, he’s just basically the same every time he steps onto the field. That's the beauty of him.

He always makes the right decisions, he crosses well, he passes well, he works his socks off, he’s got great technique and he’s a leader and an example to everyone in the squad. He’s been great in midfield and when he’s needed to play full back he’s been great there too.

He's Big Games James, the man you can count on when the pressure is at's highest. Just look at how many pressure penalties he's converted. He's the epitome of Klopp's 'Mentality Monsters'.

Klopp even revealed that Milner gives a team talk before every game, whether he’s playing or not. The importance of Milner to this squad is probably much greater than anyone outside of the dressing room realises. In a group where most are relatively young and prior to this season hadn’t tasted much success, Milner has been there and done it all. His experience and professionalism raises the level of everyone else.

milner5_600.jpg

I was happiest for Hendo that we won something. I was made up for Klopp as well, but Milner is right up there too. I was desperate for him to win something with us. He's got medals and he's had a great career, but for his Anfield legacy he needed to win something with us.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note, 'Season Report Cards' are only be available to TLW subscribers. Subscriptions are just £2 per month and can be purchased here.

If he wants it, I reckon he'll end up on the coaching staff too. He can have the job of putting the medals in a box on the table at the end of the season. 

• Upvote 1

I was probably more delighted for him than anyone bar Klopp. I hated the idea of his high career point having to be winning the league with city, a team with a following of bellends who think he deserves booing when playing against them. Now when he’s interviewed about it there’s only one winner.

• Upvote 1

If we’d had the foresight to get him when he was leaving Leeds all those years ago, can you imagine? He’s just the epitome of how players should conduct themselves on and off. Love to see him finish his career with us and then move into coaching our lads straightaway....no one’s going to take any liberties with this guy! 8.5 for me

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, aws said:

If he wants it, I reckon he'll end up on the coaching staff too. He can have the job of putting the medals in a box on the table at the end of the season. 

Box? Box! Binbag

• Upvote 1

Said before my ol fella is a Leeds fan but has a massive soft spot for us. 

When Milner left Leeds he kept going on at my brother and I we should have signed him. 

We took the piss out of him for years. He’s been more fucking unbearable than either Joe or I could have been since the final. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 29/06/2019 at 08:46, lifetime fan said:

I’d put my mortgage on him being the fittest player in the squad when they return for preseason again. 

He's really not though anymore.    Clearly struggles to play twice a week for at least 18 months now. 

Still has a part to play as long as we can afford to use him as we see fit.   

4 minutes ago, Grinch said:

He's really not though anymore.    Clearly struggles to play twice a week for at least 18 months now. 

Still has a part to play as long as we can afford to use him as we see fit.   

We’ll see who wins the beep test first day of preseason. 

55 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

We’ll see who wins the beep test first day of preseason. 

He won it last year too and then we got to witness how he coped with the games coming thick and fast. 

On 30/06/2019 at 12:36, Grinch said:

He won it last year too and then we got to witness how he coped with the games coming thick and fast. 

And how did he cope? We rotate midfielders because we can. 

On 30/06/2019 at 12:36, Grinch said:

He was fucking boss, that’s how he was. 

He’ll win it this preseason too. 

On 28/06/2019 at 15:15, piphomer said:

You didn't explain why you think Milner is tricky to evaluate. 

I did.

Because virtually every performance is the same. No real peaks or troughs, no particularly memorable performances for good or bad reasons. He's just relentlessly consistent without being flashy.