You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

American Politics

Boss

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Biden's blowing this, isn't he.

Four more years of that spherical bastard, the worst living American. 

No one could have predicted Biden would be a liability when allowed bear a microphone. 

Would rather lose with a corporate democrat, whose whole agenda is nothing will change, then win with a progressive.

Criticising Biden when Trump is the alternative is like saying you don't want to drive through Chernobyl in case the grass sets off your hay fever. 

Biden could be brain dead by the time the election comes but the people around him would still be far superior, presumably his head of the CIA won't be one of his former restaurant managers and he won't be threatening war with China purely to boost his Nokia stocks.

These is no down from Trump.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Criticising Biden when Trump is the alternative is like saying you don't want to drive through Chernobyl in case the grass sets off your hay fever. 

Biden could be brain dead by the time the election comes but the people around him would still be far superior, presumably his head of the CIA won't be one of his former restaurant managers and he won't be threatening war with China purely to boost his Nokia stocks.

These is no down from Trump.

True.

The fear is that Biden will lose. He embodies everything the Democratic establishment did wrong last time.

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

True.

The fear is that Biden will lose. He embodies everything the Democratic establishment did wrong last time.

I'd be astonished if he lost, if he does you have to assume the American public has given up en mass and is steering their Cadillac towards a ravine. 

Biden is a dull candidate no doubt, it'd be like David Miliband or Yvette Cooper replacing Johnson, but in a populist era where you have to douse the fire before you can even think about buildjng a new house, I'd take that.

They were interviewing US voters a while back and one fella said as much, saying in the past he'd be interested to hear what someone like Sanders was suggesting, but that right now he wanted to see America just back on an even kilter so they could take stock.

What I'm both worried and intrigued about is what Trump will do between the months of losing the election and leaving the White House. Isn't there like a three month handover period? 

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I'd be astonished if he lost, if he does you have to assume the American public has given up en mass and is steering their Cadillac towards a ravine. 

Biden is a dull candidate no doubt, it'd be like David Miliband or Yvette Cooper replacing Johnson, but in a populist era where you have to douse the fire before you can even think about buildjng a new house, I'd take that.

They were interviewing US voters a while back and one fella said as much, saying in the past he'd be interested to hear what someone like Sanders was suggesting, but that right now he wanted to see America just back on an even kilter so they could take stock.

What I'm both worried and intrigued about is what Trump will do between the months of losing the election and leaving the White House. Isn't there like a three month handover period? 

The American public have given up to an extent, I believe voter turnout is around 56%. The problem with going against a populist is you need to inspire voters to turn up and vote for you. I'm not Trump is not enough, we saw that in 2016. 

The strategy this time seems to be I'm not Trump but I worked with Obama so pretend you're voting for him.

Rightly or wrongly certain people believe the Obama years played a major part in the rise of Trump.

Biden has basically ruled out supporting any populist left policies, so apparently a lot on the left seem to think there is no point voting for the same same. 

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

If you are going to use that metric then we gave up about 50 years ago - it has been pretty much the same that entire time

Fair enough, but just checking it is approx 57 percent. I saw that Obama bucked the trend in 2008 but it dropped back in 2012.

It went up again, relatively, in 2016 for Trump because both him and 2012 Obama gave people a reason to go out and vote.

I believe if Biden wants to win he needs to give 2020 voters a reason to go out and IMO, I'm not the other guy is never a reason to go out to vote for someone.

4 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Fair enough, but just checking it is approx 57 percent. I saw that Obama bucked the trend in 2008 but it dropped back in 2012.

It went up again, relatively, in 2016 for Trump because both him and 2012 Obama gave people a reason to go out and vote.

I believe if Biden wants to win he needs to give 2020 voters a reason to go out and IMO, I'm not the other guy is never a reason to go out to vote for someone.

Trump won on not being Hilary Clinton tbh.

Biden is not the kind of candidate that has won for Dems during recent history. Those have all been young, articulate, energetic fellas (JFK, Bill Clinton, Obama). Only the peanut farmer has bucked that trend over the last 60 years.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Trump won on not being Hilary Clinton tbh.

Biden is not the kind of candidate that has won for Dems during recent history. Those have all been young, articulate, energetic fellas (JFK, Bill Clinton, Obama). Only the peanut farmer has bucked that trend over the last 60 years.

Again I have no reason to disagree. Just found it interesting loads wouldn't/didn't vote for Hilary but the turnout went up. I put this down to Trump inspiring his base to turnout, due to the complete lies and fabrications he came out with as a nut case populist.

Biden is exactly the sort of candidate that loses for the Dems which is why I am so cynical as to why they went all in on him. Everything about him is a lose to Trump candidate.  He is poor in debates or trying to think quickly (as we saw with his recent comment(s)) his history on the war and trade deals plus a little touchy feely (allegedly). It is like Trump picked the Dems candidate for them.

• Upvote 1

This all comes down to a few swing states like Wisconsin and Michigan usually- Florida as well.

If the economy is recovering enough and people are back to work, the college football and NFL stadiums are full than Trump will win. It doesn’t matter what the death toll is (mainly because black Americans are dying at three times the rate of white Americans) what will matter is the job and stock market numbers in October. For Americans a job can mean health care and if millions are out of work and have no health care than Biden should be able to capitalize on that.

As well the Democrats need to flip the Senate and keep the House as this would almost neuter Trump although my understanding of American political system is not completely up to scratch. 

Also who Biden chooses as his running mate is going to be interesting- he has said it will be a woman and he owes a debt to black Americans who got him over the finish line. Not sure if America could handle a black woman as VP as she would then be their candidate in 2024 as Biden will be 82 years old and he’s hardly the most coherent man now.

Also, Trump is desperate to get the country open and have governors allow gatherings (he is pandering to the evangelicals by demanding church services be allowed) so he can get his rallies going again. You know he is just stewing not being able to get in front of 10,000 frothing red necks.

All told I’d be very surprised if he didn’t get another term. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

Saw her in a different light at Trump’s inauguration. Melainia turned up with a gift for her and she acted in a really ungracious manner. She came off as a bit sneering to be honest.

Or maybe she see's the Trumps for what they are and couldn't be arsed to pretend to like the fucking lizards ? 

Mind you, Melania would defo get it 

Michelle Obama is Coleen Rooney on steds, if her name was Michelle Roberts nobody would give a fuck. Ironic therefore that she's touted as inspirational so often. "Marry a successful bloke and you too will be invited onto the lucrative lecture circuit." Usually frowned upon these days that.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Michelle Obama is Coleen Rooney on steds, if her name was Michelle Roberts nobody would give a fuck. Ironic therefore that she's touted as inspirational so often. "Marry a successful bloke and you too will be invited onto the lucrative lecture circuit." Usually frowned upon these days that.

Thats bollocks that is mate. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Must have missed that time when Coleen Rooney graduated from two Ivy League universities.