You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2019 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Gomez fucked then...gonna be sticky at the back now

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-defender-joe-gomez-suffers-15732757

Have to question our medical dept...seem to get a lot of conflicting stories about injuries and players out longer than initially stated.

FFS, no Van Dyk or Gomez v Bayern...

I see Chelsea turned down a loan offer for Christensen from Juve - thought he was pretty decent, only played 1 game for Sarri in PL and 40 times for Conte last year..

1 minute ago, Nolongerathletic said:

FFS, no Van Dyk or Gomez v Bayern...

I see Chelsea turned down a loan offer for Christensen from Juve - thought he was pretty decent, only played 1 game for Sarri in PL and 40 times for Conte last year..

Klopp saying VVD and Fabinho both missed training as are 'ill' 'just little things'.....

Expect an update next week that they are both dead.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, an tha said:

Gomez fucked then...gonna be sticky at the back now

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-defender-joe-gomez-suffers-15732757

Have to question our medical dept...seem to get a lot of conflicting stories about injuries and players out longer than initially stated.

Huge loss -- his pace solved alot on the right side.

Not sure about the last part -- Ox is due back far earlier than reported 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Huge loss -- his pace solved alot on the right side.

Not sure about the last part -- Ox is due back far earlier than reported 

If Fabinho is fucked be interesting to see who plays rb v leicester.

West Ham away we need to be stronger at rb as well.

I know injuries are all a part of game but this defensive situation is a real worry - very similar to the midfield issues we had at end of last season - injuries are more difficult to handle when seem to be concentrated in one area.

As far as my comment about medical dept goes, just seems that way to me - Klopp was saying TAA might make Palace the other week for example....maybe it is just way Klopp tries to look on bright side.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

As far as my comment about medical dept goes, just seems that way to me - Klopp was saying TAA might make Palace the other week for example....maybe it is just way Klopp tries to look on bright side.

Might. A past tense of ‘may’. Definition........................used to express opportunity. A chance. 

Klopp quoted as saying about Gini and Trent. 

"We will see. We will wait for both, for sure really close for Saturday, I don't want to close any doors before anybody tells me to close them."

Whats the medical team or Klopp done or said wrong? Gomez has had a complication and the medical team is shit! 

7 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Might. A past tense of ‘may’. Definition........................used to express opportunity. A chance. 

Klopp quoted as saying about Gini and Trent. 

"We will see. We will wait for both, for sure really close for Saturday, I don't want to close any doors before anybody tells me to close them."

Whats the medical team or Klopp done or said wrong? Gomez has had a complication and the medical team is shit! 

As already stated earlier maybe it is down to Klopp trying to be positive but for me you don't have a player in the space of a few days described as "out for a month"..."out for a couple of weeks"...."really close" (for a game a few days away) and then still a "doubt" (for another game nearly 2 weeks later)

Just seems like very mixed messages to me...maybe it is just Klopp's way.

Maybe he is being fed conflicting stories from the medical team.

I read this elsewhere earlier and seems reasonable to me...

Anyway, to bring this back on track, I'm really not surprised by the Gomez news which I've said several times before. There's 4 stages of fracture healing - the inflammatory stage, the soft callus (soft bone) stage, the hard callus stage (hard bone) and the remodelling stage. Depending on the bone fractured healing will typically look like this;

Inflammatory stage from time of fracture to around 72 hours after fracture
Soft callus stage from 72 hours up to 6 weeks
Hard callus stage from 3 weeks up to 12 weeks
Remodelling stage from the moment hard callus is formed up to a year and a half, in some cases longer

As the fibula is a non-weight bearing bone it won't take 12 weeks for the soft callus to turn into a hard callus, as soon as that is in place Gomez will be able to train again. This isn't a setback or worrying it's just normal fracture healing. He was never going to be out for 6 weeks only like the club initially put out.