You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rangers F.C. Appreciation Thread 2018-19

18 hours ago, Mook said:

'Fenian' isn't sectarian.

There have been protestant fenians.

There have, but you have to go a long way back. It's a degroatory term nowadays regardless of how you look at it. It's petty stuff. 

18 hours ago, SammyAftershave said:

It's underlined because it's a hyperlink? 

Would anyone on here have known Steve Clarke's religion? Sad fucking club for even knowing that. I couldn't tell you the religion of most of our players, other than Mo and Sadio I wouldn't be certain about the religion of any of the players, management or owners.

19 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I'm just surprised Stig hasn't weighed in on this yet. I always thought such Rangers shithousery was like Ron Burgundy blowing a mythical conch shell to him.

I am partial to calling the odd r*ngers fan a dirty orange bastard so I can't pontificate about it. 

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I’m not convinced Morelos won’t be shit the moment he steps into a more competitive league, but given that it’s unlikely to seen as a priority area for transfers this summer, I’d take a chance on him and his pleasingly absurd disciplinary record as a reasonably priced alternative to our current striking back-up.

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I thought 'Fenian' meant Irish Catholic but I live and learn.

The otiginal “Fenians” were an organisation that wanted Home Rule or maybe outright independence (can’t remember). I think the name comes from some sort of Celtic (the culture not the football club) mythology. You didn’t have to be a Roman Catholic to support the politics or the methods. 

Its usually today seen as an anti-Roman Catholic term. 

51 minutes ago, Mcfaggen said:

The otiginal “Fenians” were an organisation that wanted Home Rule or maybe outright independence (can’t remember). I think the name comes from some sort of Celtic (the culture not the football club) mythology. You didn’t have to be a Roman Catholic to support the politics or the methods. 

That explains how its now used against the people who still want a united Ireland,which is of course largely Roman Catholics.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:11 PM, No2 said:

Would anyone on here have known Steve Clarke's religion? Sad fucking club for even knowing that. I couldn't tell you the religion of most of our players, other than Mo and Sadio I wouldn't be certain about the religion of any of the players, management or owners.

Not at all because its not a thing in English football. It (still) is for many in Scotland, particularly in the west

1 hour ago, Mcfaggen said:

Like many words, it's become twisted over time but the actual meaning of the word has absolutely nothing to do with religion.

I've always felt about Celtic vs them as more good vs evil than religious. Obviously its not just that, particularly for those caught in the middle of it but for me, I just hate them and think they are evil racist cunts. I truly detest them with every fibre of my being. Gerrard going there hasn't even made that flicker in the slightest. If anything its made the hatred deeper. Its like your arch-nemesis shagging your ex. I only hope he gets to leave of his own accord instead of getting hounded out by the scumbags. Actually, I take that back, I want him to leave, look back and hate them too. 

• Downvote 1

No kind of expert on the origins of ‘Fenian’ and have even less knowledge of Clarke’s religious beliefs ( and they should obviously not be attacked by idiots - that shouldn’t even need saying ) but have noticed over the years that Steve Clarke comes across as a bit of an arsehole whenever I see him interviewed.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, sir roger said:

No kind of expert on the origins of ‘Fenian’ and have even less knowledge of Clarke’s religious beliefs ( and they should obviously not be attacked by idiots - that shouldn’t even need saying ) but have noticed over the years that Steve Clarke comes across as a bit of an arsehole whenever I see him interviewed.

His rant this week was rather epic

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Same as the word "Hun" 

As far as I'm aware 'Hun' is just a derogatory name attached to a group of supporters. Celtic used to get called huns too (along with others up here) but it's stuck with Rangers for one reason or another.

The people claiming it is sectarian are just embarrassing themselves.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

As far as I'm aware 'Hun' is just a derogatory name attached to a group of supporters. Celtic used to get called huns too (along with others up here) but it's stuck with Rangers for one reason or another.

U ok hun?

1 hour ago, Mook said:

It’s after a local Wolverhampton newspaper article described r*ngers fans as a bunch of marauding huns when they wrecked the place in the 60s or something. 

Barry Ferguson banging on this week saying his kids used to asl

he why he was called an orange bastard. His kid is wearing a scarf here that says you can stick your fucking rosaries up your arse 

9BCD006B-CF92-4445-9C73-C439BACF8551.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It’s after a local Wolverhampton newspaper article described r*ngers fans as a bunch of marauding huns when they wrecked the place in the 60s or something. 

he why he was called an orange bastard. His kid is wearing a scarf here that says you can stick your fucking rosaries up your arse 

I like nothing more than ramming a load of rosary beads up my arse quite frankly.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Pretty obviously just scarves that have been thrown by fans in celebration... not exactly comparable, or an excuse for, targeted abuse.

Anyway, Hamilton would struggle in the national league on this showing. This is shite.

23 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Pretty obviously just scarves that have been thrown by fans in celebration... not exactly comparable, or an excuse for, targeted abuse.

Anyway, Hamilton would struggle in the national league on this showing. This is shite.

Obviously thats the case. Ive got a scarf that says Un-repent Fenian Rebel Bastard on it and the same scarf (not my one) was thrown on the pitch at Samaras who was dancing round with it not knowing what the fuck it was. I remember Boric taking his top off after we beat them and he had a t-shirt that said 'God Bless The Pope' on it with a picture of the Pope. Caused murder but to be honest, I know loads of Celtic and huns fans and very very few are offended by sectarian shouts at each other because each knows they are as bad as each other. Media outrage is one thing but the reality is , its only people outside the old firm bubble that are really that arsed.