You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Edwards

Ne Moe Imya

15 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Yeah they set up Ludonautics, a consultancy business helping teams (for all sports) set up or improve their data analysis.

http://ludonautics.com/

I am working with a new partner (business!) who have some knowledge of the two of them (I can't go into detail on that here). They're quite involved in another number of new projects outside of football too. My understanding is their names and success at Liverpool has attracted some serious finical backing. It would seem their entrepreneurial ambitions will keep them both unavailable for some time. I guess there's nothing stopping them going back, but I don't think they have a reason to.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I am working with a new partner (business!) who have some knowledge of the two of them (I can't go into detail on that here). They're quite involved in another number of new projects outside of football too. My understanding is their names and success at Liverpool has attracted some serious finical backing. It would seem their entrepreneurial ambitions will keep them both unavailable for some time. I guess there's nothing stopping them going back, but I don't think they have a reason to.

Made no sense for them to limit their expertise to one club or one sport once they'd built the reputation they did.

You'd imagine that with American sports being much more accommodating to the idea of statistical analysis, compared to the skepticism it's still viewed with in some quarters in the UK, that they'd make a killing if they can translate that success to the NFL or MLB.

10 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Made no sense for them to limit their expertise to one club or one sport once they'd built the reputation they did.

You'd imagine that with American sports being much more accommodating to the idea of statistical analysis, compared to the skepticism it's still viewed with in some quarters in the UK, that they'd make a killing if they can translate that success to the NFL or MLB.

Yeah, I don't think they're even exclusively in sport now. I might have misunderstood the conversation, but that's what I took from it. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, I don't think they're even exclusively in sport now. I might have misunderstood the conversation, but that's what I took from it.

The company itself is described as a sports advisory business but the website has very little actual information on it at the moment.

You'd presume, given Graham's involvement they could turn their data modeling to any sector if the information is their to drive it.

I wonder if before long you'll see a sports division headed by Edwards and a more business focused side headed by someone else with Ian Graham leading a huge research team that umbrella's both.

37 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

The company itself is described as a sports advisory business but the website has very little actual information on it at the moment.

You'd presume, given Graham's involvement they could turn their data modeling to any sector if the information is their to drive it.

I wonder if before long you'll see a sports division headed by Edwards and a more business focused side headed by someone else with Ian Graham leading a huge research team that umbrella's both.

I don't think everything they're doing is through that same company. I think they've been attracted to other firms in similar start up modes but in different fields of expertise. I wasn't given the details, just they were involved in more that just ludonautics. 

Klopp elevated that guys reputation beyond belief. 

I hope FSG arent  like that John Travolta in pulp fiction gif looking lost. As we've seen a sporting director seems hard to come by. Their whole principle was build a club where if you lose the manager it's not too big a problem because the club has a model unfortunately/fortunately they got Klopp and he's just a behemoth and probably became a larger figure than they expected which has been good for us but all the more devastating now he's going. His personality runs through this current version of LFC from top to bottom.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Klopp elevated that guys reputation beyond belief. 

I hope FSG arent  like that John Travolta in pulp fiction gif looking lost. As we've seen a sporting director seems hard to come by. Their whole principle was build a club where if you lose the manager it's not too big a problem because the club has a model unfortunately/fortunately they got Klopp and he's just a behemoth and probably became a larger figure than they expected which has been good for us but all the more devastating now he's going. His personality runs through this current version of LFC from top to bottom.

The lack of Klopp should make the recruitment of a DoF and changing the structure that much easier for the reasons you've mentioned.

I'm guess approaching Edwards would have been a case of if you don't ask you don't get rather than a desperate throw of the dice.

There was an article in the echo saying they're also looking to add Alonso's former DoF Tim Steidten, and Tiago Pinto to the list along with Richard Hughes.

12 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Not like him...

Aye, almost like this has been a slow window so the lads desperate to push his engagement numbers back up, this is the second story someones spun around Klopps departure a mates sent me today that i've had to reply this sounds like usual media noise.

It needs to either be someone we know can run the club from a strategic point of view. That would have been Edwards.

Or someone who is tied to the person we will hire to be the manager and we build a project around those two. The guy at West Ham who worked with Xabi, and then getting Xabi as manager, would be an example of that.

Basically, It can't be some random.

At least his refusal has spared any new manager the soul-draining horror of having to sit through monotone 'deep dives' of targeted players. This is like some weird revenge of the nerd - the most boring speccy idiots get to be depicted as though they deserve statues outside the stadia. The bloke we already have in situ is supposed to be worshipped by the nerd community so I suspect we'll get by well enough without St Michael returning.

• Upvote 1

Edwards is tied in to his new venture as previously discussed so uit was unlikely he was ever going to take it, no harm if FSG asked though.

26 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If it’s true, it’s a bit concerning we still don’t have a DoF lined up since November’22.

Like looking at other managers, it's going to be tough pushing for a DoF without giving that DoF (and all the ones you approach) a critical piece of information. Doesn't stop the in house ground work being done on a range of targets.