You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Butland can feck right off. Overhyped English player syndrome galore. Especially for £40m! I'd be happy having Reina back as part of a Mignolet transfer. He looks back on track after a dodgy spell.

On to that Aouar. Yes. Please.

I saw him against the bitters in the Europa. He looked decent, but that compilation vid shows even more. He looks ideal. Loves a press and tackle. Got very good ball protection/retention ability. Also got that quality that not all midfielders have - the ability to surge past opponents with a little burst of pace and then open up the game ahead of him.

He reminds me a bit of Wijnaldum in that regard. Aouar appears to have a far superior passing range though.

Plus, in that vid, there's a few clips of him skinning the mercurial Davy Klaasen. Anybody who can do that must be some player...

Dont think it’s an agenda to be fair. I would think most Liverpool supporters would love to see Gerrard doing well as a manager here. At least I know I would.

Does that mean I believe he can become a good manager for Liverpool? No idea to be honest, I probably have about 5% of the information I would need to make that assessment. And probably wouldn’t be qualified to make the assessment either of course, but I think we’re all entitled to an opionion.

And based on what I’m seeing and hearing I actually doubt Gerrard as a potential manager for us. At least short term. Why? Mainly because I think he tends to let his emitions get the better of him. Probably his biggest strength as a player, and also a slight weakness at times. As a manager I think it could be more of a weakness than strength. At least he would have to learn to control it.

Also the way he talks about his U18 team haven’t impressed me. I think he’s bigging up a few of the players, in a phase of their career where the most important thing is probably to keep them hungry and humble. But again, what do we really know, I of course have no idea what he tells them behind closes doors.

Paisley and Kenny were promoted from within and did great of course. Could still happen I think, if you have the necessary leadership skills as well as the football knowledge. But I do think making that step today is far more difficult. Main differences being the enourmous pressure, the fact that you need to handle global superstars with massive egos, the tactical side is much more important, and sports science side is vital to succeed.

30 years ago you needed to be a knowledgeable football man, and be able to manage a coaching team and a group of players in the best possible way to succeed. Today you need to be able to do that, but also have a lot of the skills required to run a big company, surrounding yourself with group of experts in different fields. And to handle the media om top of that. Very very demanding position that, and having been an excellent player is of course no guarantee to make it.

Haha Gerrard lets his emotions get the better of him. Have you see Jurgen during games.

If one day Stevie gets the job it will be on merit. Whether he goes out and manages elsewhere first, or whether he comes up through the ranks and serves a lengthy internal apprenticeship.

It’s not something I’ll lose too much sleep over. If one day he gets the nod he will have everyone’s backing and it would be a great story. If he ultimately proves not up to it, he will be like every manager who fell short since we last won the title, and at that point we will make another change.

I’m excluding Jurgen from the list as he’s in the hot seat doing his thing now, and he’s doing well.

Haha Gerrard lets his emotions get the better of him. Have you see Jurgen during games.

Absolutely, see your point, and whether or not that’s a problem I dont know. I think you need that as a manager as well, and Klopp definately has it in lots. And also as a manager I think it can be both a strength and a weakness. So of course that could be the case for Gerrard as well, and on the positive side I would guess that his passion and desire to win should run off to some degree.

Edit: And when I said this could be a problem for Gerrard I wasn’t mainly thinking of what happens during a game, but rather what takes place between the games.

Liverpool want to invest most of the fee they received from the sale of Philippe Coutinho on Real Madrid midfielder, Marco Asensio. However, Florentino Perez doesn’t want to lose the player, despite being played less & less by Manager Zinedine Zidane. [@donbalon_com] #LFC

The article by Mario Plaza states that of the many clubs nterested in Asensio, Liverpool are the only ones willing to pay as much as €150M (£132M), but Real Madrid are unwilling to accept this. His release clause is €500M (£441M).

Gareth Bale & Florentino Perez have agreed it’s time for him to leave Real Madrid & Jürgen Klopp has placed the Welshman at the top of his wish list following the sale of Philippe Coutinho. It’s thought Liverpool would offer more then €100M for Bale. [@donbalon_com] #LFC

The report by Mario Plaza states that the club Bale will move on to has not been decided. Due to the imminent arrival of Alexis Sanchez at Man Utd he is unlikely to move there, whilst Liverpool have already registered an interest.

Liverpool would need time to persuade Bayern Munich to end the loan deal of James Rodriguez early & negotiate with Real Madrid if they were to try & sign the Colombian midfielder. [@prenno]

Asensio, yes please.

Bale, no thank you.

Rodriguez, maybe.

We should be so picky. We won't buy anyone of this calibre. However for Bale read Sessegnon. For Asensio read Cabellos and for Rodriguez read Demarai Gray. And for the price of any one of the former we could sign all of the latter. I'd happily see us do that too, maybe not Gray though.

Asensio no chance but he would be absolutely perfect.

Very young, supremely talented and works his arse off every game. Klopp would love him to death, he's basically a left-wing version of Salah (though he is left-footed so it's not exactly the same as Salah playing on the opposite wing of his strong foot).

As far as ridiculous, never-gonna-happen transfer rumours go, I give this one an A-. It's a lot better than the James Rodriguez ones, but still not quite as drool-worthy as the Griezmann rumour.

STURRIDGE LATEST...

Inter Milan remain confident they can sign Daniel Sturridge, according to Sky in Italy.

The Italian club want to secure a loan deal with an option to buy but are not willing to pay the €40m Liverpool are asking for to make the move permanent.

Inter want to pay less as the player only has 18 months left on his contract, is 28 and has had injury problems

Where is this Asensio link coming from?

Don Balon, the Spanish website that manages to make Marca look like a bastion of excellent journalism.

It's utter rubbish. Though the more I think about it the more it makes sense. I remember watching a match where Asensio played a bit deeper, basically the same position Coutinho was playing for us this season, and he was sensational. Very much like Coutinho, I can easily see why we'd want him so much to fill that role.

The problem is that Real Madrid would never countenance the move. Unless they were going after someone even more expensive like Neymar or something, I can't see how they would let their best young player and someone who could potentially reach Balon D'Or levels in the future go.

Inter want to pay less as the player only has 18 months left on his contract, is 28 and has had injury problems

Message to Inter: Er, that’s why he’s only €40M. If he didn’t have injury problems he’d be in our team, or would be going for €100M.

I’d rather keep him than loan him out.

• Upvote 1

Considering Ronaldo is finished, Bale is a crock, and Benzema is about as popular at the Bernabeu as Pique is, them allowing the best young attacking player in the world to leave would be fucking mad.

None of that will matter once we pay the £441m release clause.