You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Vvd has had an absolutely brilliant season and as soon as he has a couple of games below his best level, he's slaughtered. So far he's been an absolutely top class captain. 

Yeah I agree. I think he is guilty of being a bit too casual sometimes it's really nitpicking though.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Vvd has had an absolutely brilliant season and as soon as he has a couple of games below his best level, he's slaughtered. So far he's been an absolutely top class captain. 

Completely agree with this. Also earlier in the season he was getting some midweeks off but due to Konates brittleness, injuries to the fullbacks meaning Gomez cannot cover centre back, he is forced to play every game and babysit Quansah.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'd say he's been our player of the year. I think a fair few of us worried that we'd seen the best of him after last season, but he's mostly been back to his best this season and has led the team brilliantly. Anyone calling him out now is surely just venting out of frustration at the team's current form and results.

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I'd say he's been our player of the year. I think a fair few of us worried that we'd seen the best of him after last season, but he's mostly been back to his best this season and has led the team brilliantly. Anyone calling him out now is surely just venting out of frustration at the team's current form and results.

I think that's beyond doubt, to be honest. 

A few shouts for Mac Allister, aside. 

8 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

yes, he's been fantastic and he would be my player of the year. and i think if he was to lead us to the title, he probably should be player of the year for the league. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I think that's beyond doubt, to be honest. 

A few shouts for Mac Allister, aside. 

Alisson was brilliant early on as well, but he's just missed too many games to be in with a shout for our player of the year.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

yes, he's been fantastic and he would be my player of the year. and i think if he was to lead us to the title, he probably should be player of the year for the league. 

He hasn't got many competitors based on regular appearances considering how many games most of the others have missed themselves. I'm betting Gomez is up there if you include his sub appearances and cameos.

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

He’s being criticised for playing poorly, just as he’s been praised for playing well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

He’s being criticised for playing poorly, just as he’s been praised for playing well.

This.

He's been absolutely shite the last 2/3 weeks & is being called out alongside pretty much every other player.

Up until that point, he was imperious.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

actually you criticised him for his lack of leadership. he's been a brilliant leader all season. he can't win matches on his own. he can't be the only leader on the pitch. he's just a little off form and even that isn't much, he's not awful - in fact aside from slipping over, he was fine on sunday, just not exceptional. 

38 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He hasn't got many competitors based on regular appearances considering how many games most of the others have missed themselves. I'm betting Gomez is up there if you include his sub appearances and cameos.

diaz and nunez have played a lot. gakpo has been available all season, he just hasn't been very good. macca has missed very few games. there's plenty around the squad who have played well. very few have played near his level for the season though. 

21 minutes ago, Mook said:

This.

He's been absolutely shite the last 2/3 weeks & is being called out alongside pretty much every other player.

Up until that point, he was imperious.

Do you expect him to be imperious in every game for the whole season?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Do you expect him to be imperious in every game for the whole season?

No but I do expect people to mention his massive drop in form on a Liverpool forum when results go tits up.

• Upvote 1

He has been a very good player, his performances are there for all to see. 

As the Capt on the pitch I think he is lacking a bit in the traditional English way. If there is a scuffle or a time to really get in the ref's face I think that his mild temperament - which helps as a player - does no favors as a Captain. 

He has always had it in him to look immediately at others when we concede, that has been well before he was made Cpt. 

40 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He has been a very good player, his performances are there for all to see. 

As the Capt on the pitch I think he is lacking a bit in the traditional English way. If there is a scuffle or a time to really get in the ref's face I think that his mild temperament - which helps as a player - does no favors as a Captain. 

He has always had it in him to look immediately at others when we concede, that has been well before he was made Cpt. 

I think that both he and Konate were culpable for the Palace goal at the weekend. Konate obviously moreso but Van Dijk wasn't blameless. I was also surprised at how he struggled against the Atalanta strikers as they seemed physically an even contest. Not that skilful but physically were very useful.

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

He had a poor night on thursday. When's the rest of the time he's been bad? He's wasn't great on Sunday, but he was very far from being our problem. 

I think the whole defence haa gone to shit since the international break & he's the one who holds things together. I thought he was poor at Old Trafford, really poor on Thursday night & was (partly) at fault for Palace's goal.

I think he looks very shaky at the moment unfortunately. Clearly he's not alone by any means & I agree, he's probably our 0player of the season regardless.

Just now, Mook said:

I think the whole defence haa gone to shit since the international break & he's the one who holds things together. I thought he was poor at Old Trafford, really poor on Thursday night & was (partly) at fault for Palace's goal.

I think he looks very shaky at the moment unfortunately. Clearly he's not alone by any means & I agree, he's probably our 0player of the season regardless.

We'll definitely have to agree to disagree about that one. The goal has nothing to do with him on Sunday (Bradley, Macca and konate all contributed to that). He was good at old Trafford. Our defence has been shaky for about 2 years.