You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke

Just watching a bit of the women’s twenty twenty there (I know) and Ian Healy is annoying the fuck out of me already.

It’s not going well for England if you’re interested.

England women break a record to chase it down.

Anyway, do you lot in Oz think a lot of this bravado/muck talk from certain Aussie players is to take away the limelight from their own behaviour ref the contracts? Talking, as they are about the auld enemy is always gonna get a large section of the Aussie fans on their side. 

Anyway, do you lot in Oz think a lot of this bravado/muck talk from certain Aussie players is to take away the limelight from their own behaviour ref the contracts? Talking, as they are about the auld enemy is always gonna get a large section of the Aussie fans on their side. 

Not me.

An Ashes Series always brings out the day trippers and half-an-half scarves out of people down here, who wouldn't give a fuck about the ethics of the contract fiasco.

I think the trash talk as a smokescreen is giving the Australians too much credit.  They are just yobs with too much time, money and ego on their hands.

The Ashes still has mesmeric appeal, and it's one of the few politically acceptable forms of "nationalism", but inevitably the money and elitism that has turned most sport to shit dictates that soundbites from these cashed-up oiks are as much a part of the deal as the cricket itself.

And the public laps it up.

Aussie Aussie Aussie... oi oi oi.

Wordsworth.

Guest Pistonbroke

Not me.

An Ashes Series always brings out the day trippers and half-an-half scarves out of people down here, who wouldn't give a fuck about the ethics of the contract fiasco.

I think the trash talk as a smokescreen is giving the Australians too much credit.  They are just yobs with too much time, money and ego on their hands.

The Ashes still has mesmeric appeal, and it's one of the few politically acceptable forms of "nationalism", but inevitably the money and elitism that has turned most sport to shit dictates that soundbites from these cashed-up oiks are as much a part of the deal as the cricket itself.

And the public laps it up.

Aussie Aussie Aussie... oi oi oi.

Wordsworth.

I have to say, That Lyon having a pop made me laugh, ridiculous thing to say for a so called professional.

I've said it earlier, I'm not with all these fans who think England will get hammered. Aussies have improved a bit and England seem to be slipping in the other direction, albeit only slightly and slowly due to a weak top order. One thing is, they have a good habit of coming back after a loss. Think it will be a very close series. Each and every match could and probably will be decided on one or two sessions, when that's the case it really could swing wither way. Neither team has the all-round good squad to batter the other. 

What are conditions like for the opener at The Gabba? These days, captains choose to bat first if they win the toss, but is it one of those wickets that's likely to be unplayable early on before settling down, making fielding first the sensible option?

It wouldn't be The Ashes without at least one Aussie trash talking in the media. I'm sure the players don't let it influence them.

I have to say, That Lyon having a pop made me laugh, ridiculous thing to say for a so called professional.

I've said it earlier, I'm not with all these fans who think England will get hammered. Aussies have improved a bit and England seem to be slipping in the other direction, albeit only slightly and slowly due to a weak top order. One thing is, they have a good habit of coming back after a loss. Think it will be a very close series. Each and every match could and probably will be decided on one or two sessions, when that's the case it really could swing wither way. Neither team has the all-round good squad to batter the other. 

The basis for saying that England will get hammered is as justifiable as it was in 13/14.  Nil.

It might happen, but there is nothing to suggest it will.

Root scores 500 runs in the Series, and Anderson and Broad bowl well, and it's totally up for grabs.

What are conditions like for the opener at The Gabba? These days, captains choose to bat first if they win the toss, but is it one of those wickets that's likely to be unplayable early on before settling down, making fielding first the sensible option?

It wouldn't be The Ashes without at least one Aussie trash talking in the media. I'm sure the players don't let it influence them.

The weather conditions often dictate at the Gabba.

Overcast and you might bowl.

With Australia's supposedly fearsome attack, I wonder whether whoever wins the toss might bowl.

Guest Pistonbroke

The basis for saying that England will get hammered is as justifiable as it was in 13/14.  Nil.

It might happen, but there is nothing to suggest it will.

Root scores 500 runs in the Series, and Anderson and Broad bowl well, and it's totally up for grabs.

I have a feeling Malan will be one of our top scorers as well, the wickets are going to suit his style of play. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Where’s this rumour about Stokes being available for the second test come from?

Nothing concrete. Botham has basically speaking with Aussie broadcasters saying he thinks he will play. Stokes himself is back in the nets, that has to be for a reason being as apart from the Ashes there is no other cricket for him until next year. 

Nothing concrete. Botham has basically speaking with Aussie broadcasters saying he thinks he will play. Stokes himself is back in the nets, that has to be for a reason being as apart from the Ashes there is no other cricket for him until next year.

Botham talks fucking bollocks though and is the worst pundit on Sky!

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Botham talks fucking bollocks though and is the worst pundit on Sky!

I agree, but even he must here things. The fact Stokes is in the nets points to him maybe being part of the Ashes tour though. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Looks like the first test will be weather affected.

Get out of there with a draw.

Forecast shows showers for every day, Friday being less likely but 70% chance of rain the rest of the time. Gonna be one of those matches where they are on and off the field a lot.

Live coverage on BT Sport.