You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Miscellaneous Questions Not Worth Starting A Thread For

AngryOfTuebrook

Guest Pistonbroke

they're normally excellent.  Saves loads of time not having to do that tedious point and click shite with the TV remote. 

I ended up buying the Samsung one, best thing I have invested in for a while. 

Just had a fucking fly in the room couldn't see the fucker but the little bastard wound me up no end.

My question is while some people have voices in their heads telling them to kill people and burn shit down if you were inflicted with that problem if you could would you swap it for the noise of a fly in your room?

• 2 months later...

Got me puzzled this.

Wayne Rooney got caught drink driving the other day and the story came from the police supposedly.

This is bugging me because is it the job of the police to ring up the press and infirm people someone has been arrested?

Or will it be Rooneys agent realising the story as a 'damage control' even though that hasn't worked.

Got me puzzled this.

Wayne Rooney got caught drink driving the other day and the story came from the police supposedly.

This is bugging me because is it the job of the police to ring up the press and infirm people someone has been arrested?

Or will it be Rooneys agent realising the story as a 'damage control' even though that hasn't worked.

I have never understood this one either. What is regarded as a private matter, the details of which remain confidential, and what becomes 'news'. From a professional experience it appears to be a very fine and wobbly line

I have never understood this one either. What is regarded as a private matter, the details of which remain confidential, and what becomes 'news'. From a professional experience it appears to be a very fine and wobbly line

I know. You wouldn't think the police could release a story and surely his agent would want to bury it.

So I would have thought the only way it comes out is once he appears in court or if the girl he was supposedly with rang the press; but even then I am sure Rooney would buy her silence.

Anybody know why this is?

In pre metric days, athletics tracks and races were:

110 yards, 220 yards, 440 yard ( one lap of the track),880 yards and a mile

Why did they change the mile( four laps of the track ) to 1500 metres ( approximately 3 and three quarters laps of the track )?

Nice even number 1500 metres maybe?

What qualifications do I need to buy and pilot my own yacht?

There are no laws, you can basically do what you want, within reason. I'd advise doing a bit of research on some powerboat courses or perhaps the international certificate of competence (boat licence). And join a club.

If you just want to park it in the marina and take it out on the open waters for cocktails and boat sex, fucking crack on! Nobody is going to stop you.

http://www.rya.org.uk/COURSES-TRAINING/COURSES/Pages/hub.aspx

• Upvote 2

There are no laws, you can basically do what you want, within reason. I'd advise doing a bit of research on some powerboat courses or perhaps the international certificate of competence (boat licence). And join a club.

If you just want to park it in the marina and take it out on the open waters for cocktails and boat sex, fucking crack on! Nobody is going to stop you.

http://www.rya.org.uk/COURSES-TRAINING/COURSES/Pages/hub.aspx

Repped.

Do I need to learn knots and tide tables and maps and shit?

Repped.

Do I need to learn knots and tide tables and maps and shit?

Pfft. Only if you're a nerd.

But seriously, you need to know your equipment and the area you're travelling in; obviously boats can be dangerous as fuck in the wrong hands. Almost everything you need to know would be covered by one of those RYA courses.

Alternatively, you could just befriend a boating type and get them to do all the grunt work, while you kick back sipping a Tom Collins.

It's a piece of piss, really.

• Upvote 1

Anybody know why this is?

In pre metric days, athletics tracks and races were:

110 yards, 220 yards, 440 yard ( one lap of the track),880 yards and a mile 

Why did they change the mile( four laps of the track ) to 1500 metres ( approximately 3 and three quarters laps of the track  )?

I agree, it's a bit irrational.100,200 and 400m are close to 110, 220 and 440 yards and a mile is close to 1600 m (1609.34m) and they wouldn't have to use a different start/finish position. Knowing the answer to questions like that is why the Olympics committees are paid so many millions.

Surely the answer is that maps were first developed by Europeans and added to as they explored further afield.

As such, Europe sites roughly in the centre, with the americas to the left (west) and Asia to the right (east).

• Upvote 1

Surely the answer is that maps were first developed by Europeans and added to as they explored further afield.

As such, Europe sites roughly in the centre, with the americas to the left (west) and Asia to the right (east).

That would certainly seem to clear it up.

I'll be back to rep later on.