You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander Arnold

Arl arse

37 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Bayern Munich seem to do it reasonably regularly.  Blame them.

Kimmich? I'd say his turn and low centre of gravity would make him an ideal CM. He was a very competent full back as well, but even better suited to CM. Trent for me would have trouble receiving the ball with his back to goal, as he's not that nimble moving circularly. I could see him in a traditional right sided midfielder role in a 4-4-2, but not as an 8 in a 4-3-3 (which is what is being suggested here I guess).

53 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

He's deffo the best central midfielder we'll never see.  He stinks of Bellingham. 

He's at that age where you want to see him progress, test him, it's fucking obvious he's on cruise control professionally.  

I'd say playing with this year's version of Salah and Henderson in front of him (as well as Elliott) has been more than enough of a test. I think he's been given an incredibly raw deal with the constant scrutiny on him. Yes, he's thrown in some stinkers, and I think it was Brighton where he looked downright disinterested. That's not acceptable.

The criticism of him is mostly over the top though. I find it incredible that sesasoned professionals turned pundits continue to pick on him for his faults rather than seeing what he brings to the team, just because of his traditional number/position on the pitch (2/right back). 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, lebron said:

Kimmich? I'd say his turn and low centre of gravity would make him an ideal CM. He was a very competent full back as well, but even better suited to CM. Trent for me would have trouble receiving the ball with his back to goal, as he's not that nimble moving circularly. I could see him in a traditional right sided midfielder role in a 4-4-2, but not as an 8 in a 4-3-3 (which is what is being suggested here I guess).

Trent's best position is a wing back in a back 5 I think. I don't think him in any other position in any other role would be more suited to him than this one. A right midfielder in a 4-4-2, compromises the attack a bit too much IMO, given the other attacking players we have that don't fit as well in a 4-4-2.

28 minutes ago, dave u said:

image.png

Look at Trippier running in the opposite direction to where the danger was, leaving Darwin with a clear run on goal. Imagine if that was Trent doing that.

But pointing out another full back making a mistake doesn’t negate Trent’s shortcomings as a defender mate. I love him, and what he’s good at he is one of the best going at, but defending he is poor - positional (and I don’t mean when he’s out of position in attacks, as he’s given free roam to do that), awareness, reaction, ball watching, lack of desire to make up ground at times. 

I suppose we know what we get and the whole package is worth it (when he’s on it), but it mystifies me why there are Liverpool fans who just won’t entertain his shortcomings at all.

38 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

Trent is not and never will be a midfielder.

He'll need to be on his game on Tuesday. It'll be a proper test for him

What is missing from his ability that would make him an excellent midfielder in your eyes mate?

44 minutes ago, lebron said:

I wouldn’t have him as a traditional 8 - I agree on the back to goal bit to a degree, but he’s great at moving the ball to people in space, through angles and then showing for it again. I think his starting position would be better as deep, but leave him free and not beholden to being there, pretty much as he plays now, but without the gaps left and responsibility on him defensively. He’d get more chance to fire shots off around the box too. 

Im adamant on this one. I really believe he’d be amazing in there

8 minutes ago, Dundalis said:

Trent's best position is a wing back in a back 5 I think. I don't think him in any other position in any other role would be more suited to him than this one. A right midfielder in a 4-4-2, compromises the attack a bit too much IMO, given the other attacking players we have that don't fit as well in a 4-4-2.

His best position wouldn't be wing back because wing backs basically stay wide the whole game, run up and down and then attack the back post. That doesn't describe what Trent does well at all. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Curly said:

What is missing from his ability that would make him an excellent midfielder in your eyes mate?

There's a number of small things tbh but some of the biggest are his lack of awareness, mobility & strength and has been said already I don't think he's good at recieving ball with his back to the play, he's much more comfortable with it in front of him. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, lebron said:

They did it with Lahm as well. 

Alaba also gave full back and central midfield a go, before moving back to central defence.

When Trent and Robbo (and the rest of the team) were at their peak, we had pretty much the perfect balance between being brilliant going forward and being difficult to score against. And the role of the full-backs was crucial to the way we played. That's what we need to find a way to get back to, not just shifting players to completely new positions and hoping for the best.

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

Trent played midfield as a youngster before switching to right back as an U21, as there was more chance of breaking into the first team in that position.

I realise that, but it's a completely new position in terms of first team football, and would necessitate a total change of approach as we have no one to replace his attacking output from full back.

On 20/02/2023 at 01:32, Mathewbet1 said:

Trent always looks better with konate next to him

Without absolving Trent of any of his defensive sins, I’m not sure if there would be THIS much focus on him if peak van Dijk had been covering his side instead of Robbo’s. While I am a big fan of both Gomez and Matip, they aren’t VvD (neither is Konate, but he’s closer in terms of physical prowess).

Some of the targeting of the room behind Trent has been spread to to both sides since Virgil’s injury (Brentford this season as an example), as opposed to most teams and players just neglecting to take him on earlier.

On 20/02/2023 at 00:04, Curly said:

But pointing out another full back making a mistake doesn’t negate Trent’s shortcomings as a defender mate.

No, but people continually highlighting certain things Trent is doing while ignoring it when every other full back in the league is doing the same shit certainly paints a distorted picture of things. When all you're hearing is "Trent can't defend, Trent can't defend, look at this clip and look at that clip" on a continual loop every fucking week, you're going to be influenced by that as it's impossible not to be. Reece James doesn't get that. Trippier doesn't. Fuck me, not even Kyle Calamity Walker gets it. I bet there are loads of examples of them doing the same shit Trent has done only nobody in the media cares. It's only worth highlighting when it's Trent for some reason.

My issue with Trent this season is his lack of concentration and general aura of not giving a fuck about what happens. There were times this season where his arrogance and attitude have let the team down (can put VVD in that same bracket). He does have a fair amount of brain farts in his back catalogue that can't be excused.

However, he is a very good player when he's concentrating at all times. Can every player be on it for each game? Clearly not, they're only Human after all. Plus who knows last season took a big toll on him personally. He is vital for the way Klopp plays and I can't think of many RB's that I'd prefer to see in the team.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

My issue with Trent this season is his lack of concentration and general aura of not giving a fuck about what happens. There were times this season where his arrogance and attitude have let the team down (can put VVD in that same bracket). He does have a fair amount of brain farts in his back catalogue that can't be excused.

However, he is a very good player when he's concentrating at all times. Can every player be on it for each game? Clearly not, they're only Human after all. Plus who knows last season took a big toll on him personally. He is vital for the way Klopp plays and I can't think of many RB's that I'd prefer to see in the team.

Yep. Sturridge was similar, loads of quality but sometimes just looked bored out of his mind and not remotely arsed about any sort of urgency. 

Trent is absolutely world class when he's on it. We need him to be on it tonight. If he had Robbo's fight & desire he'd possibly be the greatest full back of all time. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, A Red said:

I'm all in on Trent playing in midfield or at least giving it a go. Thing is, perhaps Klopp has tried it in training and doesn't like what he sees?

I'd say that's an absolute certainty. In fact, I read something recently from one of our former youngsters who left (I forget who) and he was talking about playing against all the big names in training sessions and he casually referenced he played against a midfield three that included Trent. So they have definitely looked at it and for them to have never tried it even in cup games suggests they've not liked what they've seen.

54 minutes ago, dave u said:

No, but people continually highlighting certain things Trent is doing while ignoring it when every other full back in the league is doing the same shit certainly paints a distorted picture of things. When all you're hearing is "Trent can't defend, Trent can't defend, look at this clip and look at that clip" on a continual loop every fucking week, you're going to be influenced by that as it's impossible not to be. Reece James doesn't get that. Trippier doesn't. Fuck me, not even Kyle Calamity Walker gets it. I bet there are loads of examples of them doing the same shit Trent has done only nobody in the media cares. It's only worth highlighting when it's Trent for some reason.

Manè scored a stack of headers at the back post with Walker day dreaming, won a penalty against him too and generally filled is boots against him. You're right, Trent is judged by different standards but that's because he should be miles better than all of them.

49 minutes ago, dave u said:

While I do see what you’re saying and think there has been a hugely magnified look at Trent in that respect, I just think the role he is given both emphasises his skill sets, but also his shortcomings. He’s just not got that mentality of defensive capability. It’s the switching off and being unaware of what’s round him that’s huge for me, and has been apparent throughout his rise.

The names you mentioned there are all way below Trent in what they can offer in creativity and ability with the ball, but brain farts aside, they are alert and aggressive without the ball, whether they get it right or not. Defensively the game passes Trent by - the example you made with trippier for example - I don’t think Trent would have ran out wide to cover, but I don’t think he would have tucked in either. He would have floated in the direction the ball was going and watched it all unfold.

Anyway, you’re right - I don’t wan to bash him anymore either, and he was getting back to his best in the last 2 games, but it doesn’t mean to say he should be immune from criticism on the mistakes he makes defensively. Like with Darwin - when he’s criticised for missing a good chance, there isn’t really any “yeah, but Haaland/Jesus/whoever missed this one” shouts to suggest it doesn’t matter

2 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

This is a good summary. 

The tough part for him is that he has to be a world class creative threat that almost no other fullback has to be or can be, and then, because he's a defender, he has to be positionally aware, aggressive, and strong in challenges all the time. The latter part, he clearly doesn't love doing and it shows sometimes. When it's very apparent he gets on people's nerves and rightfully so, but we have to keep in mind the burden he has on the pitch. His role is really difficult. 

• Upvote 1