You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard would have stayed as squad player if offered coaching role

tlw content

The idea of feeling threatened or intimidated by having Steven Gerrard around is laughable in the context of the Liverpool manager's job. You should crave huge talents and personalities around you and thrive off the dynamic they create rather than shy away from them.

Rodgers has got rid of all the personalities and leaders from the dressing room, leaving us with a timid squad with Henderson captain, Milner vice captain the type of yes men workhorses that Rodgers loves. Or timid characters like Lallana or Joe Allen with Dejan 'leader' Lovren at the back. He doesn't want anyone at the club who'll challenge him, or anyone at the club who's achieved more in the game than him. It's left us with a mess of a squad of committee signings he won't play or his own signings that are generally Southampton level. 

That being said Gerrard needed to move on. His legs had gone and he said he didn't want to be a squad player when he announced he was leaving. He couldn't start three games a week when he was having to pace himself through 90 minutes of football which meant he was often out of games for large periods and when sat deeper he couldn't do the basics like track runners. We didn't have the capacity to carry that. 

• Upvote 1

Rodgers has got rid of all the personalities and leaders from the dressing room, leaving us with a timid squad with Henderson captain, Milner vice captain the type of yes men workhorses that Rodgers loves. Or timid characters like Lallana or Joe Allen with Dejan 'leader' Lovren at the back. He doesn't want anyone at the club who'll challenge him, or anyone at the club who's achieved more in the game than him. It's left us with a mess of a squad of committee signings he won't play or his own signings that are generally Southampton level. 

That being said Gerrard needed to move on. His legs had gone and he said he didn't want to be a squad player when he announced he was leaving. He couldn't start three games a week when he was having to pace himself through 90 minutes of football which meant he was often out of games for large periods and when sat deeper he couldn't do the basics like track runners. We didn't have the capacity to carry that. 

Your first para was ok. Your second, your usual utter shit observations. Mongs like you would have 'moved on' Dalglish towards the end of his playing career. If you'd been around that is.

The idea of feeling threatened or intimidated by having Steven Gerrard around is laughable in the context of the Liverpool manager's job. You should crave huge talents and personalities around you and thrive off the dynamic they create rather than shy away from them.

Fucking hell, I can't get my head round the idea that some people think Steven would be anything other than a massive positive to the right manager. And if he inhibited other players the problem is that they aren't good enough rather than he's too good surely? That's like throwing away the fillet steak because it'll make your oven chips taste cheap. Insane.

Some utterly mind-boggling stuff on here that exemplifies just how far we've fallen into the gaping chasm of mediocrity that is contemporary LFC.

Spot on especially your last sentence.

Fucking hell, I can't get my head round the idea that some people think Steven would be anything other than a massive positive to the right manager. And if he inhibited other players the problem is that they aren't good enough rather than he's too good surely? That's like throwing away the fillet steak because it'll make your oven chips taste cheap. Insane.

Some utterly mind-boggling stuff on here that exemplifies just how far we've fallen into the gaping chasm of mediocrity that is contemporary LFC.

Exactly, if Rodgers felt threatened its only confirmation of a massive insecurity complex. 

Fucking hell, I can't get my head round the idea that some people think Steven would be anything other than a massive positive to the right manager. 

The key here for me is "right manager". Hypothetically speaking, let's fast forward to the end of this season and imagine we finished a poor sixth so the owners decide to bring Jurgen Klopp in. He would be an excellent person for Stevie to shadow. Klopp is a leader, winner, strong character, and would be coming into the club to take charge and make his mark. Everyone would be 100% behind him and there would be no hint from fans that Stevie would take over the first time we had a bad result. 

Not so with Rodgers, at least at this stage of Brendan's Liverpool career. Rodgers is on thin ice and we all know it. For me, the timing was all wrong at the end of last season for Stevie to work alongside him. The clamour for Stevie to take over would have been deafening after the first bad result. I believe his presence would have been a hindrance and not a help, under those circumstances. 

So I'm happy Stevie is extending his playing career in an easier league, enjoying the sunshine and experiencing another life. Liverpool is still there for him, but for me, just not quite yet. 

• Upvote 1

I think Rodgers is the wrong man at this point, so it's easy to keep beating him with a stick. Obviously if we win well later today against Man Utd it will call down for a bit, at least temporarily anyhow. But I just want to play Devil's advocate for a second about the insecurity thing, as I think most managers have a bit of that. 

Think of Ferguson. One of the best managers of all time. He won everything and had a very long tenure. But you could make a strong case to say that he was insecure throughout, as he wouldn't have anyone challenge him. If they did, they wouldn't be there very long. Jaap Stam. David Beckham. Roy Keane. I could go on and on about players who stuck their neck out and got the chop. And most of Ferguson's assistant managers didn't last very long either, at least once they started to get their own reputation and standing in the game. 

• Upvote 1

I find it disgusting that the best player that ever played for this club is given abuse. 

He's a legend - nothing less.

He's won more than anyone on the coaching staff and surely would have been asset.

It's clear that anyone with outspoken views is ousted from the club.

I don't like the modern day LFC, its not the LFC I grew up with. 

Americans and football don't mix. 

Please fuck off you Red Sox Cunts  

Your first para was ok. Your second, your usual utter shit observations. Mongs like you would have 'moved on' Dalglish towards the end of his playing career. If you'd been around that is.

Was Bob Paisley a mong for saying "let a player lose his legs on someone else's pitch" as he kept us at the top by regularly freshening things up?

Gerrard didn't want to be a squad player. He's 35.

• Upvote 2

Was Bob Paisley a mong for saying "let a player lose his legs on someone else's pitch" as he kept us at the top by regularly freshening things up?

Gerrard didn't want to be a squad player. He's 35.

Was that his moto? Talk about a winner!

I remember reading be was obsessed with always strengthening no matter how much we won the league by.

Having former players involved in the setup seems to work in Bayern, Ajax, Barca and a few other decent clubs.

Maybe it's an English thing where they fear big characters but if the manager fears Gerrard's presence he's at the wrong club surely?.

I would be surprised if Gerrard ends up managing anyway, I reckon he was punished as he spoke out a few times about player recruitment and he is one of the few people at the club people actually listen to. Maybe the owners consider him a loose cannon in other words not a yesman.

If you read between the lines he just wanted the loyalty by the club that he had shown over the years. The club couldn't wait to get him off the payroll and it pissed him off.

I think the difference is that those ex players are forced to spend literally the hundreds of hours required to get to the required standard of coaching level before being given a role of responsibility at a club.

In the UK they are given roles because of who they are and often forego the hard work it takes to reach a decent standard. Its one of the main reasons so many not so good players become excellent coaches.

Gerrard as a coach - are you kidding me?

The guy is too self-absorbed and has zero game intelligence. We could however put him in charge of Hollywood balls or manager shafting.

Although in the top one of our best players if his choice of managers and alternatives to Messi in latter years is anything to go by I'm kind of relieved he isn't anywhere near the management structure.

• Upvote 1

To be honest Gerrard's comments about Benitez while not surprising are disappointing.

He fails to realise that the manager is there to be successful not be your best mate.

Personally I wouldn't have him within a mile of the managers office ditto Carragher. If I had to choose a former player to manage us it would be Alonso.

He at least I think has the right mentality for coaching, can't put my finger on why but that's how he comes across to me.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1