You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal 0 Liverpool 0 (Aug 24 2015)

tlw content

arsenalreport1.jpg

That was alright wasn’t it? Good result, even better performance. There’s definitely an element of disappointment there too because this was a good opportunity to pick up a rare win at the Emirates, particularly as they were missing both of their centre halves. They had all their forwards though, so to keep them as quiet as we did provides cause for optimism.

Brendan made a few changes, two of them enforced and one through choice, but just as they had in the two previous games the team had a good shape to it and were very disciplined in their work without the ball. This time though we looked decent when we had it, at least in the first half anyway. It all went a bit pear shaped in the second but the new found resilience we have added saw us pick up a well earned point.

That first half was great though, the only thing missing was the goal we deserved. At half time I was buzzing at how we’d played but worried that it would all count for nothing because we hadn’t got our noses in front. That was due to a combination of bad luck, great goalkeeping and sloppiness on the part of Benteke. He should have buried that chance he had, it looked a certain goal and that’s probably why he missed. It looked like he just thought all he had to do was make contact with the cross and that would be enough, but by not putting his foot through it Cech got back to keep it out. Great save, but Benteke should score.

That said, his performance was very good again and we looked dangerous throughout the opening 45 minutes. Coutinho was just brilliant, he led Arsenal a merry dance at times and although he faded after half time that was more about how the flow of the game moved away from us than anything else. It was difficult for him to have the same influence when we were suddenly forced back and having to defend.

His first half display was probably the best he’s played for us away from Anfield though, he was absolutely dazzling at times. The link up with Benteke is improving all the time and they almost combined to give us the lead when the big fella picked out the little fella, and his sweetly struck shot smacked the underside of the bar. So, so unlucky as the ball had been slightly behind him and it was a fantastic hit.

He was even more unlucky with the one Cech tipped onto the post. Poor old Bellerin is probably still trying to work out what happened, as he was tied in knots. The strike was brilliant and looked to be heading in via the inside of the post before Cech’s intervention. Have to say I’m a bit pissed off at how Cech decided to wait until we came to town before reminding everyone how great he is. How come keepers never have those bad days against us? We always get them when they’re having worldies, especially Cech who always saves his best for us, the big fucking gorp.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that match reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

• Upvote 1

This season we seem more like a team of players working together. And I can't wait to see Gomez as a centre back. As much as Skrtel is great at last ditch tackles and he's not reliable. Steady Joe is.

He looks more assured than carra did when he played left back under houllier and with more pace.

Think he is going to be a beast of a centre back.

Good objective report. The disappointment of not getting the win that the first half performance deserved is tempered by the fact that I'd have taken a clean sheet and a draw going in.

Considering all the changes, LFC are actually looking (& playing) like a team.

This season we seem more like a team of players working together. And I can't wait to see Gomez as a centre back. As much as Skrtel is great at last ditch tackles and he's not reliable. Steady Joe is.

He needs to improve in the air before he plays at CB. Excellent prospect though

I think Alberto was brought on to do exactly what he did... hit them on the break. And I agree with the comment above about Benteke while Bert was striding forward... I was screaming for Benteke to move out to the right and either draw defenders or provide a square ball option. Instead he seemd to run into Alberto's path.

Am I the only one who actually thought Ramsay was offside for his disallowed effort?

Granted the offside rule has changed so many times over the last decade, that im not entirely sure how to interpret in anymore.

But there was a shot where they froze the picture just as the pass was released, and Skrtel was just outside the box, while Ramsay's shoulder, chest and head clearly was inside. So it looked just offside to me...

Had the box been the finishing line in a sprint race, Ramsey would have been declared the winner ( and we would all have blasted Skrtel for crossing the finishing line backwards). Anyway, the call was so close that the way Sky did/do go on about it was/is just ridiculous.

Anyway, the call was so close that the way Sky did/do go on about it was/is just ridiculous.

Same, an easy onside call in every report I've seen. I thought it was onside also in real time to be fair. The freeze frame however is viewed from an angle and it's really tight so it's immensely difficult to call. If the linesman is level he's probably going to know better and if he does get it wrong it's very forgivable.

skrtel.jpg

• Upvote 1

It's hardly Sterling v Man City or Suarez v Everton though, is it? It'd be nice if one of these 'high profile' mistakes actually led to something being done about introducing technology, but in the meantime, there are tight ones like that given wrongly every single week, so the reaction to it has been a bit rich. 

• Upvote 1

It's hardly Sterling v Man City or Suarez v Everton though, is it? It'd be nice if one of these 'high profile' mistakes actually led to something being done about introducing technology, but in the meantime, there are tight ones like that given wrongly every single week, so the reaction to it has been a bit rich. 

In our first three games we have had 2 goals against wrongly disallowed and Benteke's strike against Bournemouth incorrectly allowed to stand. It's easy to dismiss bad decisions when they go for you. There will be plenty of squealing when we get a few bum calls ourselves.

In our first three games we have had 2 goals against wrongly disallowed and Benteke's strike against Bournemouth incorrectly allowed to stand. It's easy to dismiss bad decisions when they go for you. There will be plenty of squealing when we get a few bum calls ourselves.

Of the 3, the Benteke goal was the only genuine shocker of a call. Ramsey's is onside once you look at the replay, but not blindingly obvious in real time, which is the only look the linesman gets. As for Bournemouth's disallowed goal, I can see a case for both sides but it looked like he impeded Lovren, who was heading that ball away otherwise. 

Overall, I think people can cop a few 50/50 decisions not going their way, but when there is a proper bad call is when people get pissed off. It just so happens that these have all come in a short space of time and all to the benefit of one team. 

Am I the only one who actually thought Ramsay was offside for his disallowed effort?

Granted the offside rule has changed so many times over the last decade, that im not entirely sure how to interpret in anymore.

But there was a shot where they froze the picture just as the pass was released, and Skrtel was just outside the box, while Ramsay's shoulder, chest and head clearly was inside. So it looked just offside to me...

Had the box been the finishing line in a sprint race, Ramsey would have been declared the winner ( and we would all have blasted Skrtel for crossing the finishing line backwards). Anyway, the call was so close that the way Sky did/do go on about it was/is just ridiculous.

Looking at the picture Russ posted beneath you, it looks like Skrtel is outside the box but his arse is still in there and playing Ramsey onside.