You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Remember when everyone was going on about TTIP being bad and we need to Brexit to save ourselves from it. Well, Hammond appears to be over in America and looks like he's starting to angle for...TTIP. oooh that's going to smart!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/06/hammond-acts-to-reassure-city-and-wall-street-on-brexit

Well nobody saw that coming....

• Upvote 1

All without any kind of mandate. Given that they've now ditched their manifesto from 18 months ago shouldn't they be going back to the country to seek approval for a new set of policies or did the referendum result rubber stamp this change of direction as well?

It's what happens with no effective opposition, 

All dissenters are now branded as Liberal elite, It's genuinely a really worrying situation where the government are able to openly advocate discrimination in the jobs market and pander to the worst prejudices in the population, What could possibly go wrong but joking aside this is starting not to feel like the country I grew up in,   

If May continues this appeasement of the home counties brigade and continues to alienate business, Britain's precarious position of relative wealth will become fully exposed.

Take the City out of London and the UK is pretty much fucked. The void of capital will be fucking shit with a public service subsisting on reduced taxation and an increasingly elderly population burdened by a reduction in the migrant workforce.

On the plus side they've continued the flagrant racism that that was the DNA of the leave campaign.

The only business that may prosper is the tattoo business, though quite how much they could charge for a tasteful forearm serial number is up for debate.

The fuckers won the election on a platform of austerity and monetarism , Miliband was way too risky . Now the driving force is controlling immigration and they have suddenly invented Keynesian economics . It just beggars belief, 

Lest we forget, it's still not altogether clear that they actually won the election, rather than stealing it.

http://www.afairersociety.uk/2016/10/05/is-this-tory-government-even-legal/

I think you got that upset typing out your rant you completely forgot that the majority of Tories campaigned to keep us in.

The leaders of the "official" Leave campaign - the cunts driving round on the lie bus - were Tory front-benchers.

58% of Tory voters voted to leave; only UKIP reported a higher proportion of Leave voters.

I just hope the EU stands firm and tells Britain where to go. They shouldn't give an inch on free movement in the single market negotiations, and they should tariff us through the backside when we pull out.

Indeed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/07/uk-must-pay-price-for-brexit-says-francois-hollande

François Hollande: UK must pay price for Brexit

François Hollande has sent one of the strongest warnings yet that Britain will have to pay a heavy price for leaving the European Union, adding to deep concern in financial markets.

“There must be a threat, there must be a risk, there must be a price, otherwise we will be in negotiations that will not end well and, inevitably, will have economic and human consequences,” the French president said.

“Britain has decided on a Brexit, I believe even a hard Brexit. Well, we must go all the way with Britain’s will to leave the European Union,” he told a dinner in Paris attended by the EU commission president, Jean-Claude Junker, and the EU’s top Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier. 

Hollande’s remarks echo a toughening of rhetoric by the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, and a hardening of positions in European capitals after Theresa May announced that the UK would begin formal negotiations by the end of March and indicated it was heading for a hard Brexit.

Hollande has long insisted that Britain would have to live with the consequences of exiting the EU, and there was no chance of any informal negotiations before article 50 was triggered to officially leave.

After a week in which London appeared to be gearing up for a clash in talks, Hollande made clear he was more resolved than ever that EU countries must be firm with the UK in order to preserve the cohesion of the bloc and put off other countries seeking to follow Britain’s lead.

Hollande said firmness was absolutely necessary otherwise “the principles of the European Union will be questioned” and “other countries or other parties will be minded to leave the European Union in order to have the supposed benefits and no downsides or rules”.

His speech on Thursday marked the 20th anniversary of the creation of the Institut Jacques Delors, a thinktank founded by the former president of the European commission. The president used it to make a barbed reference to the recurrent exasperation in Europe with Britain’s long-held assumption that it could have its cake and eat it.

He said Delors “had also faced crises provoked by the United Kingdom”, noting that in the 1980s the late British prime minister Margaret Thatcher obtained a rebate on its EU contributions worth billions of pounds every year.

Thatcher “wanted to remain in Europe, but receive a cheque in return”, he said.

“Today, Britain wants to leave, but does not want to pay anything. That is not possible.”

May announced on Sunday that the government would trigger Brexit negotiations by the end of March, putting the country on course to leave the EU by early 2019.

Hollande, who is mindful of a possible re-election bid next spring, is, like other European powers, keen to dampen rising Euroscepticism in his own backyard – namely growing support for the far-right Front National which wants a referendum on whether France should leave the EU. 

While the UK is divided over whether to go for a hard or soft withdrawal, European leaders are taking an increasingly firm line. A hard Brexit would mean quickly severing all links with EU institutions and pulling out of the single market, relying instead on World Trade Organisation rules to trade with other countries.

Since the UK voted to leave the EU in June, Hollande has urged European partners to use the exit as a “wake-up call” to improve the European project.

Earlier this week, Merkel told an audience of German business leaders that any exception to the EU’s single market rules would represent “a systemic challenge for the entire European Union”.

She appealed to German firms to show a united front with EU governments in negotiations over Britain’s departure from the bloc, urging them to support the principle of “full access to the single market only in exchange for signing up to the four freedoms”.

If any country was allowed an exception, she said, “you can imagine how all countries will put conditions on free movement with other countries. And that would create an extremely difficult situation.”

Who on Earth could have predicted a reaction like this?

Oh, yeah. Everyone.

Tim Ireland of Bloggerheads has been tipped off that certain local councils have already started to contact businesses asking them about foreign workers. He is trying to confirm that it's true.

Can you imagine what will happen if they start publishing names of businesses employing foreign workers.  The fucking knuckle draggers will be round 5 minutes later smashing windows and abusing staff,  Labour needs to speak up now about this  

Hope it's not a cold winter - can't see the Tories increasing cold weather payments and pensioners will be dropping like flies

Weather has been a bit poor for energy sales, but that's almost offset by lower services call outs (interesting isn't it? No, me neither).

I just hope the EU stands firm and tells Britain where to go. They shouldn't give an inch on free movement in the single market negotiations, and they should tariff us through the backside when we pull out.

So, you want to see not just your own country fucked over out of spite but also the countries who you wanted to remain wedded to in your beloved EU?  The traiffs you desire would create havoc across the whole continent. That's what you are calling for. You are so filled with spite that you didn't get your way that you are calling for a policy that will DELIBERATELY fuck over millions of people and lead to a recession.

You're not a very nice person are you, Stronty?

And as for the quotes from Hollande where he all but uses the phrase 'Britain should be punished', the fact that he says these things and holds these opinions are proof of the insecurity he feels about the failing EU.  He would rather try to scare others from leaving rather than show to those who might also consider leaving the benefits of staying.

The UK will not miss the monster that is the EU with it's Junker and Hollande bullies.  They are steering the EU further and further towards the rocks and are too blinded by their arrogance to believe it's happening.  That same blinded arrogance was why so many couldn't believe we voted to leave. 

As a nation we either let these fuckers bully us or we don't. I say we don't and lets hope the UK negotiators say so as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

So, you want to see not just your own country fucked over out of spite but also the countries who you wanted to remain wedded to in your beloved EU? The traiffs you desire would create havoc across the whole continent. That's what you are calling for. You are so filled with spite that you didn't get your way that you are calling for a policy that will DELIBERATELY fuck over millions of people and lead to a recession.

You're not a very nice person are you, Stronty?

And as for the quotes from Hollande where he all but uses the phrase 'Britain should be punished', the fact that he says these things and holds these opinions are proof of the insecurity he feels about the failing EU. He would rather try to scare others from leaving rather than show to those who might also consider leaving the benefits of staying.

The UK will not miss the monster that is the EU with it's Junker and Hollande bullies. They are steering the EU further and further towards the rocks and are too blinded by their arrogance to believe it's happening. That same blinded arrogance was why so many couldn't believe we voted to leave.

As a nation we either let these fuckers bully us or we don't. I say we don't and lets hope the UK negotiators say so as well.

Why are you crying? Get out there and start trading and selling. Make us great again.

• Upvote 1

Go on, Chap, tell us what you think the UK negotiators should do to stop these monsters from bullying us.

Tell us what sort of access to a market of 300 million people, which accounts for a large proportion of the UK'S foreign trade, you think they should aim for - and how they should persuade the EU to accept our terms.

Go on, Chap, tell us what you think the UK negotiators should do to stop these monsters from bullying us.

Tell us what sort of access to a market of 300 million people, which accounts for a large proportion of the UK'S foreign trade, you think they should aim for - and how they should persuade the EU to accept our terms.

Both questions are piss easy to answer.

i) Make clear that any attempt to impose unfair tariffs would be met in kind. 'You try to harm our exports we will do the same to yours'

ii) The whole world has 'access' to the single market. The whole world sells into it. That's 'access'.

Now, perhaps Mr Angry, you could tell us why you agree with Stronty that you "hope they tell us where to go" and they "tariff us through the backside". Justify your opinion.

i) Make clear that any attempt to impose unfair tariffs would be met in kind. 'You try to harm our exports we will do the same to yours'

ii) The whole world has 'access' to the single market. The whole world sells into it. That's 'access'.

Now, perhaps Mr Angry, you could tell us why you agree with Stronty that you "hope they tell us where to go" and they "tariff us through the backside". Justify your opinion.

Piss easy but barking up the wrong tree.  The UK is in a weak negotiating position.  

We can raise taxes on imports, that just means the EU won't trade with us. The good thing is we can do away with standards and regulations so we can just get all our shit from China. #brexit #winning

i) That's cutting off our nose to spite our face. It would harm the UK economy much more than it would harm the EU and it would support those in the EU who want the UK to become a warning of the bad things that happen when you cut yourself off from the benefits of membership.

ii) Different countries have different levels of access. None are as favourable as the deal that 52% of UK voters have been persuaded to abandon.

As for agreeing with Stronts - I don't.

I don't hope the UK will come away from negotiations with unfavourable trading terms. I don't hope the death toll from Hurricane Matthew will rise. I don't hope that the Siege of Aleppo will drag on through the Winter. I don't hope that the X Factor will be won by some cunt who can't even sing.

Sometimes bad things are easily predictable. I've said it's obvious that this will happen. I've never said I want it to happen.